Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redundant post---deleted

Comment

• I would argue Tortious Interference. Adidas has a contract with a school to supply products and they are actively interfering with the school’s ability to play and promote their amateur athleties/athletics by jeopardizing their students eligibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I would argue Tortious Interference. Adidas has a contract with a school to supply products and they are actively interfering with the school’s ability to play and promote their amateur athleties/athletics by jeopardizing their students eligibility.
        Boom!

Not only that, there are hundreds of universities that have a contract with the NCAA, and these shoe sharks are interfering with each and every one of those contracts. The damage isn't just to the recipient school. The other schools have lost airfare, lost hotel expense, lost food expenses, wasted coaching salaries, and lost potential revenue by other coaches recruiting the same kids within the framework of their contract with the NCAA. The shoe companies are interfering with ALL of those contracts and causing systemic damage, when they provide 3rd party funds to a prospect.

They really should have considered that angle.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          It would be cool to see the non P5 schools start a class action lawsuit against the shoe companies.

• Yes it would be cool. Think about the old Missouri Valley and similar conferences. What if 5- Star talent was consistently signing up to play at Drake, Southern Illinois, etc. What kind of TV contract would the league have???? Probably a pretty big one. One that would be waaaaay more in line with the P-5 competition making a level playing field across the whole NCAA. Cheating only makes it unfair for the whole of the NCAA. Other conferences should be pissed with the unfairness. But...perhaps that's how the NCAA likes it.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• another shocker
          another shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          it seems that the ncaa allows this sort of thing to happen at a select few schools: unc, ku, duke, ucla, msu (now), uk, etc.

• I'm not sure how they can claim the schools are being victimized. These 5 star players bring massive amounts of attention and winning, which excites a fanbase, creates opportunities for TV contracts, and brings future 5 star players that create a self-perpetuating success spiral. And the only way the NCAA can "punish" a school for ineligible players is to vacate wins (which is always long after the fact and has absolutely no impact on the school's present and future success or its past media hype) or to impose a postseason ban--which rarely happens, and then has only a slight impact on the program.

It seems to me the schools know there's really no downside for them or their program no matter what the NCAA does. The coaches may lose their jobs, but for the school there's little risk, weak consequences, and therefore, no real victimization.

What if the NCAA was able to punish a school for infractions by pulling a school's regular season media rights in addition to a post season ban, so none of its games would appear on TV or online for a season or two? In this day and age, that might as well be the death penalty.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Didn't the NCAA used to put a ban on televised games? But that was argued to be hurting the other school playing?

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
            Rocky Mountain Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            Decent argument. But in my opinion it's only one game for out of conference opponents and one/two games (depending on conference schedule) for conference opponents, which isn't significant collateral damage.

• yes rrahock, i believe smu had a tv ban in their football death penalty case

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
            But that was argued to be hurting the other school playing?
            To which I say, be very thoughtful of what schools you add to your conference. :)
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                I'm not sure how they can claim the schools are being victimized. These 5 star players bring massive amounts of attention and winning, which excites a fanbase, creates opportunities for TV contracts, and brings future 5 star players that create a self-perpetuating success spiral. And the only way the NCAA can "punish" a school for ineligible players is to vacate wins (which is always long after the fact and has absolutely no impact on the school's present and future success or its past media hype) or to impose a postseason ban--which rarely happens, and then has only a slight impact on the program.

It seems to me the schools know there's really no downside for them or their program no matter what the NCAA does. The coaches may lose their jobs, but for the school there's little risk, weak consequences, and therefore, no real victimization.

What if the NCAA was able to punish a school for infractions by pulling a school's regular season media rights in addition to a post season ban, so none of its games would appear on TV or online for a season or two? In this day and age, that might as well be the death penalty.
                I continue to believe that the harshest penalty would be to make the offending school write substantial checks to the other schools in their conference. Would that piss off donors if they saw their donations going to their rivals?
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  they can ban coaches for a start. You cheat, you get suspended. You again, you get banned from coaching.

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                  Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I could get behind a coaching ban for the severest of infractions.

• There it is.. https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/10/1...urtis-townsend

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                  ShockdaWorld commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Best college basketball news I’ve seen in a while that didn’t include WSU.

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                Yikes! Self (aka The Silverback to KU fans) can't be too happy...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Just a note of caution: closing arguments isn't evidence. BUT this ain't good for Uncle Bill.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                    ShockdaWorld commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree it’s not evidence in the case, but it is something that can be passed on to the NCAA when the feds are done.

• Oh $hit! 351 RPI Delaware State's in deep doo-doo!!
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Look out UMKC!!!
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                    X