Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I guess I buy this.

It just seems like a shoe company wouldn't have as much as a vested interest in the day-to-day recruiting of one of their schools as this. KU basketball does plenty good without Adidas funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars to their recruits. So the payment of money is so the kid goes to KU? Or UL or wherever?

Idk, just seems like there is a piece missing. Could definitely be wrong, though.
    Just how do you know that? If 2 out of 13 (including Preston who did not play) players who saw action in 2017-178 season, 15% of the roster, do you really believe this hasn't happened in prior years? How long has Adidas been shelling out huge bucks to KU? Is it crazy to believe that they might spend a few more to enhance the benefit of the millions?

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I suppose the easier way to think about all this...

The basketball teams are seen as Team Adidas or Team Nike or Team Under Armor to the apparel companies. The companies need to get their logos out in the minds of people AND get their logos attached to the idea of "Brand X == Winners". So they will do whatever they can to make this happen. The more it happens, then the more money they make selling stuff to fans. And this IS about the fans. We are the ones spending over $30 Billion dollars a year on the stuff they sell.

Coaches and athletic departments know this. So schools benefit from what is going on naturally in the background. If Adidas is building their best "Team Adidas" basketball teams by making sure Star Player #1 is on one of their teams ... Maybe it would be best if you are coaching Team Adidas? Even though you are really coaching a university team (wink-wink nudge-nudge). And if it happens that a player picks you (but, they really were paid to play on "Team Adidas") oh well. Win Win ... Right?

How to stop this? Remove all logos from uniforms and shoes. Will it happen? No.

Comment

Isnt it ironic that the conventional wisdom from the typical major conference fan is, "mid major school x cant land that recruit without cheating" yet every time a school is cheating, it seems to be a major conference school doing it....

Fact is, mid major schools dont have the resources to cheat at the proper level...
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

The free market will always win. It will always find a way to outsmart rules, regulations and the dumbasses that operate the NCAA. I'm all for capitalism and everybody being able to make some cheese but the unfortunate part of our culture is that it has delved so far into consumerism. Everything is seen as an opportunity for advertisement. With the NBA now allowing company logos to be placed on uniforms, I think it's only a matter of time before other sports along with the NCAA follow suit, and American uniforms that have distinct looks and character will look like the walking billboards of uniforms you see overseas. Then there will be even more players in this nonsense.

I'd hate to implement a no logo rule but I have to say, I miss the days when it was just about the sports and not a 24/7 advertisement. Just an occasional, goofy Joe Montana LA Gear commercial.

Comment

• wufan
            wufan commented
            Editing a comment
            When was it ever not about money? Remember in the 50s it was about point shaving and gambling.

• Walker
            Walker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah it's always been a part of the game and always will be. Hopefully in the point shaving and gambling aspect it has gotten better but I wonder sometimes. Human nature is flawed, so this will never be perfect. I'm hopeful for a cultural shift away from consumerism that drives the incentive for these shoe companies creating the chaos it does in NCAA as well as other levels of sports. Not that it's the only variable in the equation though. I think the best hope is in the pro levels creating fertile ground for the guys to earn money who have the ability while allowing those who want to be student athletes do so. I really think the NCAA will keep the status quo though because they don't want the gravy train ever making a stop.

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          The free market will always win. It will always find a way to outsmart rules, regulations and the dumbasses that operate the NCAA. I'm all for capitalism and everybody being able to make some cheese but the unfortunate part of our culture is that it has delved so far into consumerism. Everything is seen as an opportunity for advertisement. With the NBA now allowing company logos to be placed on uniforms, I think it's only a matter of time before other sports along with the NCAA follow suit, and American uniforms that have distinct looks and character will look like the walking billboards of uniforms you see overseas. Then there will be even more players in this nonsense.

I'd hate to implement a no logo rule but I have to say, I miss the days when it was just about the sports and not a 24/7 advertisement. Just an occasional, goofy Joe Montana LA Gear commercial.
          “If you ain’t first, you’re last”

”If you ain’t cheatin’, you’re not trying”

MV5BNDc0MzkzMTkwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI2NjIzNA@@._V1_SX1200_CR0,0,1200,799_AL_.jpg

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Walker
            Walker commented
            Editing a comment
            Shake 'n bake Ricky Bobby! Those quotes are probably the ethos of every P5 AD lol.

I don't know how serious the NCAA is about reforms. I imagine some school Presidents are serious. Condoleeza Rice is leading a committee to make reforms so we may see a few substantive recommendations to continue much of the amateur student athlete approaches

Comment

With ku's extension with adidas I guess they didn't feel too victimized

Comment

A fool proof way for a booster to funnel money to a recruit would be to do it thru a shoe company like adidas. The coach tells the booster who he wants, the booster can “buy” apparel(at least on paper). With the exchange of money, adidas is told which recruit he wants and how much the recruit gets. There would be no red flags when looking at the books to implicate the booster, only adidas for paying the player.........
              Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
              Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

With Adidas & Self, To Pay or Toupee, that is the question.
                For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                - said no one ever...

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think there is any question. It is To Pay AND Toupee.

Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
                With Adidas & Self, To Pay or Toupee, that is the question.
                Who wears it better? Oh, nevermind! :)

nm

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

wait a minute.. are you trying to tell me that smirkin' bill self doesn't know what's going on in big time college hoops?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Somebody paid some kids to go to KU. That's the story.
                  Same story, different decade. Wilt got paid, Dean and Al Kelly's parents got paid. At least 60 years of cheating and still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post

Same story, different decade. Wilt got paid, Dean and Al Kelly's parents got paid. At least 60 years of cheating and still going strong.
                    My dad had business in Larryville six or seven times a year. He would come home and tell me that he saw Wilt driving around in a brand new green Plymouth convertible. Sometime later, he told me he saw Wilt in a current model red Plymouth convertible (seems there had been a report of a fender-bender). Later that same year, he saw Wilt in a new blue Dodge. I thouight Wilt's family was not well-to-do!
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Wilt seems to have been a pretty nice guy. Hosted a radio show at KU and taught my older beatnik cousin how to play pool.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                        ShockingButTrue commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Un huh. I have many family members who live just down the road on Alabama, several who were longtime members of the Lawrence Country Club.

They told me many years ago that Wilt was running all around town and spreading STD's in the process. Can't verify the validity of that or not, but they didn't seem to be embellishing their knowledge of the situation as far as I could discern. But man, they always talked about how they loved watching Lovelltte play back in the day.

Most would agree it was nice of the city to "break bread," so to speak, and have a celebration on Wilt's behalf, even if it was many years ('98) after the fact. All the hard feelings have apparently been forgotten, and that's a good thing.
                        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; April 14, 2018, 08:07 PM.

Teflon
                      Kansas is claiming victimhood after the latest round federal charges in the college hoops corruption case, but its recent history doesn't help the school in that regard.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                        Editing a comment
                        A Chicken fan that I know, who is a good guy, by the way, told me that the NCAA is now giving financial support to the family members of players who participate in the regional championships of the NCAA tournament. He obviously thought it was benign gesture. I had seen that ku's center had his family in attendance for the first time to see him play, but any further than that I paid zero attention.

Is this accurate, concerning the NCAA? If so, wouldn't that could possibly be considered somewhat of an "enticement?"

• Windiwu
                        Windiwu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        NCAA pays for families to attend final fours.

• ShockingButTrue
                        Editing a comment
                        How long have they been doing that?

Wouldn't that lead one's family to think "hey, let's steer our child toward a school that goes to F4 a lot. Say, oh, maybe a Duke or a Kentucky. Arizona St. and New Mexico never get there..." Who would think there's a problem with that? But then again, this is the same institution that said a team that hadn't won one a road game in '18 deserved an at-large. So, really nothing is surprising with the NCAA. In plain sight.
                    Working...
                    X