New Schools Named in FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    The big question does Bill Self or anybody on his staff have knowledge that these payments were being made.
    Absolutely not. And neither did Rick Pitino or Sean Miller. And while were at it...as much as I dislike Jimmy Boeheim....at least he had the decency to not go public after accidentally stumbling into a hotel room seeing a top NCAA executive involved in a homosexual act.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Someone who is smarter than me - please explain this, because I really do not understand it.

What is the motivation of Adidas to pay these kids? I understand the motives of agents - they want to sign them later on so they can get a percentage of their professional contract.

But I do not understand why Adidas would be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to these kids -- just so they go to schools attached to their brand? Or is it so they will sign with Adidas later? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Does Adidas really have that much of a vested interest in how well KU does from season to season? I just don't really understand it.

It makes much more sense to me that the schools are somehow involved, and using the shoe company as some kind of a shield. I am aware that there is no evidence of that. Just wondering what I am missing.

Comment

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        I am right with you

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Absolutely not. And neither did Rick Pitino or Sean Miller. And while were at it...as much as I dislike Jimmy Boeheim....at least he had the decency to not go public after accidentally stumbling into a hotel room seeing a top NCAA executive involved in a homosexual act.
      nm

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Don't forget Boeheim having the decency to defend his good friend, Bernie Fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
          Someone who is smarter than me - please explain this, because I really do not understand it.

What is the motivation of Adidas to pay these kids? I understand the motives of agents - they want to sign them later on so they can get a percentage of their professional contract.

But I do not understand why Adidas would be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to these kids -- just so they go to schools attached to their brand? Or is it so they will sign with Adidas later? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Does Adidas really have that much of a vested interest in how well KU does from season to season? I just don't really understand it.

It makes much more sense to me that the schools are somehow involved, and using the shoe company as some kind of a shield. I am aware that there is no evidence of that. Just wondering what I am missing.

I don't know, it seems pretty clear to me that it definitely benefits Adidas whenever Adidas schools land top recruits. They get a jump on having the biggest names in basketball wearing their merchandise, and they're probably banking on securing top talent for these teams resulting in success and national championships. The more eyeballs on their product, the better it is for them and final fours and national championships bring a lot of eyeballs.

I do agree that the universities involved know exactly what is going on. It's an ultra convenient setup where they let the shoe companies do the dirty work while they look away. If anything ever comes to light, the university just has to play stupid while the shoe company will have a fall guy who will probably not end up with any real punishment.

It seems like no matter what the discretion, the big name schools will always have a way to worm out of it. If you get caught having fake classes to where athletes don't even have to show up but still get credit to maintain eligibility, just say it you offered it to all the students. If you pay to land the top talent, just have a shoe company do it so the university can maintain innocence. The NCAA has all the stupid rules to drop the hammer on anybody they want, and all the tools to let off anybody they want.

I don't think this will ever get better until they start letting guys go pro immediately after high school. They should work making the G-League better, with better pay. I'm sure the NBA would but the NCAA has probably done everything they can to help prevent it so they have top talent going to school for at least a year.

Comment

I don't have the data, but I would bet that if you've played in Adidas gear from the time you were 12 through your first year of college, you're way more likely to sign Adidas when you go pro. If you play in Adidas through high school, but all of a sudden you're wearing Under Armour in college, you probably have a more open mind about the process.

That's on top of the benefit Adidas gets from having good college teams wearing Adidas gear in the tournament, etc.

Comment

What is the motivation of Adidas to pay these kids?
              Every game their logo is on a TV screen for two hours is worth millions of dollars in comparable advertising. If the game is on national TV, or a sports network's primary channel, it is worth more (because of the extra fan eyeballs). They want to get their logos in front of as many eyes as possible AND mentally tie that logo to successful performance.

So if you can pack "your" teams with players that will basically guarantee lots of games, with lots of wins, and all on big channels ... that is advertising gold. And if that only costs you a couple of million a year it is even better.

Comment

My only question is, will KU drop Adidas now? Adidas has put them in major harms way so I don't see why they would continue to let a crooked company like that be their sponsor. Dump them and move to Nike or Under Armour...of course if they keep Adidas as if nothing happened that tells us all we need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by boltforge View Post

Every game their logo is on a TV screen for two hours is worth millions of dollars in comparable advertising. If the game is on national TV, or a sports network's primary channel, it is worth more (because of the extra fan eyeballs). They want to get their logos in front of as many eyes as possible AND mentally tie that logo to successful performance.

So if you can pack "your" teams with players that will basically guarantee lots of games, with lots of wins, and all on big channels ... that is advertising gold. And if that only costs you a couple of million a year it is even better.
                I guess I buy this.

It just seems like a shoe company wouldn't have as much as a vested interest in the day-to-day recruiting of one of their schools as this. KU basketball does plenty good without Adidas funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars to their recruits. So the payment of money is so the kid goes to KU? Or UL or wherever?

Idk, just seems like there is a piece missing. Could definitely be wrong, though.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                  ShockdaWorld commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great history isn’t the only reason it’s easy to recruit burger boys to JoCo Correctional Facility.

Just thinking out loud here but if the NCAA banned all logos on uniforms and shoes for all teams and put them in generic uniforms would that remove much of the incentive for the shoe companies?

Comment

Anyone who doesn't think that school X is in the loop when money changes hands between shoe companies and athletes families, if an athlete goes to school X has their head in the sand.

Comment

Any KU merchandise that is sold is more money for Adidas. If they’re a consistent top 10 team, they will consistently sell a ton of merch, this making bank for Adidas. It’s not ONLY about the shoes. (Along with what everyone else said)
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

KU basketball does plenty good without Adidas funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars to their recruits.
                      How can you possibly know this? If we're assuming this is a relatively recent phenomenon, and we assume all the top schools have players that are getting paid some amount of money, how can you possibly know that KU would get guys like Wiggins, Embiid, DeSousa, etc. without payments? Wiggins and Embiid both signed with Adidas once they joined the NBA, too.

Comment

• N Crestway
                        N Crestway commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Didn't Wiggins have an older brother at WSU? That might have influenced him as well.

If one believes that Self didn't know about the money, one would also believe that Cohen paid Stormy Daniels without Trump knowing. And furthermore would believe that Stormy is coming forward with her story because it's what is right and doesn't have a plan to cash in. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                        Just thinking out loud here but if the NCAA banned all logos on uniforms and shoes for all teams and put them in generic uniforms would that remove much of the incentive for the shoe companies?
                        Now that's an original thought. Little heavy-handed, big brother-ish, but it would certainly work.

Comment

• Aargh
                          Aargh commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And if you kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, you can prepare one fine goose dinner. Of course there won't be any more golden eggs.

As long as kids' parents can find a way to spend $100 on a pair of tennis shoes that are the same kind worn by their kids' basketball heroes, this kind of stuff will continue.

The amount of money built into the price of brand name shoes, just to pay for advertising, is insane.
                      Working...
                      X