New Schools Named in FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Two of my 11 year old’s team mates are participating. My son, meanwhile, is getting some pretty good coaching and enjoys watching the game and listening to coach from the bench. Hopefully it pays off with a scholarship, because I’m pretty sure that with the money we are pouring into soccer, we could pay for his undergrad.
    They must live in KC?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• wish wichita state had football... er soccer.

Comment

• Louisville basketball players, NCAA reach settlement, but title not restored - WDRB

Sep 30, 2019, 8:45pm cst

A settlement agreement has been reached in the lawsuit filed against the NCAA by Luke Hancock and four players from the 2013 University of Louisville basketball team, but it will

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A settlement agreement has been reached in the lawsuit filed against the NCAA by Luke Hancock and four players from the 2013 University of Louisville basketball team, but it will not result in the restoration of the school's vacated national championship...."

Comment

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

That's just cuz they assume other people also quit watching after the first weekend.

Zing!
            To be fair, KU's tournament inclusion does generally boost viewership and media exposure in the Midwest. Could just be all the MVC teams tuning in to watch their teams advance though.

KaPow!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

They must live in KC?
              One in McPherson and one in Salina. We play league games in Wichita Fall, Winter, and spring. 10-20 tournaments a year in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.
              Livin the dream

Comment

One in McPherson and one in Salina. We play league games in Wichita Fall, Winter, and spring. 10-20 tournaments a year in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.
                I'll respond in another thread in Off Topic

Comment

Two of my 11 year old’s team mates are participating. My son, meanwhile, is getting some pretty good coaching and enjoys watching the game and listening to coach from the bench. Hopefully it pays off with a scholarship, because I’m pretty sure that with the money we are pouring into soccer, we could pay for his undergrad.
                  I see that that Men's soccer is an equivalency sport and that allows 9.9 scholarships. The average D-1 men's soccer roster has 29 players.

This according to this source: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

Any idea how a D-1 men's soccer tieam might typically divvy up those 9.9 scholarships?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I see that that Men's soccer is an equivalency sport and that allows 9.9 scholarships. The average D-1 men's soccer roster has 29 players.

Any idea how a D-1 men's soccer tieam might typically divvy up those 9.9 scholarships?
                    Each school can decide independently, but a D2 friend in Cali gives out 2 full rides and the remainder is spread in halvsies for the most part. He will not "waste his time" recruiting out of state due to the cost of out-of-state tuition in Cali and the abundance of local talent.

Comment

• A bit of a tangent here, but my step-daughter did competitive cheer for several years. We would hear coaches (who have a financial incentive to keep kids competing for them) use "college scholarship" to push kids, and parents use it as a reason to spend upward of $3-4000/yr (gym fees and travel expenses) to keep their kid in the sport. The thing is, I seriously doubt, after shelling out anywhere from $12-30,000 (or more, depending on how many years they competed. I've seen kids as young as 4 or 5 on "mini" teams), they will see anywhere close to that in scholarship money over four years.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Well, my son is unlikely to be a D-I athlete. However, schools like McPherson College, Friends, Southwestern, Bethel, etc. give out up to 50% scholarships. They also gave $1000.00 for a C average and go up from there. I went to Southwestern in the late 90s and got a $45K education for about $5K (including housing and meals) by getting athletic, academic, and leadership scholarships.

My my parents probably spent $3-$5K on athletic expenses over my childhood. We will probably spend double that if he sticks it out.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Consider this ... remember how we were told ad nauseum by KU that they were the VICTIMS of the whole Adidas fiasco?

Well, we have evidence that Bill Self participated to some extent with Adidas in whatever it was that made KU "victims".

So ... by KU's own words ... hasn't Bill Self harmed KU?

Somebody might not get their Christmas turkey bonus this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

KU about to find out just how big of a fish they really are. The ***** slap of reality will be tough on them.
                            Being a big fish sometimes helps, but not always. We saw that with Rick Pitino a while back, and we saw that with USC in football. The Men of Troy have one of THE all-time big name programs, and yet when they got whacked it was a punishment from which they have yet to recover fully.

Granted, the numbers make it easier to bounce back in basketball than it is in football -- but the point is that being a really big fish didn't help SC avoid a heavy-duty punishment. Anything could happen, but Chickenhawk fans definitely shouldn't get overconfident.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              A bit of a tangent here, but my step-daughter did competitive cheer for several years. We would hear coaches (who have a financial incentive to keep kids competing for them) use "college scholarship" to push kids, and parents use it as a reason to spend upward of $3-4000/yr (gym fees and travel expenses) to keep their kid in the sport. The thing is, I seriously doubt, after shelling out anywhere from $12-30,000 (or more, depending on how many years they competed. I've seen kids as young as 4 or 5 on "mini" teams), they will see anywhere close to that in scholarship money over four years.
                              You got off cheap. I am spending around 10K a year for my daughter!

And all the cheerleaders I know that went from competitive to college and got a scholarship are getting 2-3k a year. So yeah, doesnt really balance out. And in some cases, depending on the school, they dont get a scholarship at all and even have to PAY some dues...etc to cheer in college.

For me it's never been about that anyway. I mean if my kid can get a scholarship at all for cheer great! I will take any help I can lol. I would spend the money for her to do what she loves regardless.

Sorry to continue the tangent lol. Carry-on! ;)
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

You got off cheap. I am spending around 10K a year for my daughter!

And all the cheerleaders I know that went from competitive to college and got a scholarship are getting 2-3k a year. So yeah, doesnt really balance out. And in some cases, depending on the school, they dont get a scholarship at all and even have to PAY some dues...etc to cheer in college.

For me it's never been about that anyway. I mean if my kid can get a scholarship at all for cheer great! I will take any help I can lol. I would spend the money for her to do what she loves regardless.

Sorry to continue the tangent lol. Carry-on! ;)
                                Ouch! Do you go to Summit every year?!?!?

But you're exactly right. Do it because it's their passion and enriches their lives, not because it might pay for half their college tuition.

Comment

Working...
                                X