2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I'm also big on Stevenson and Moore, plus Rod Brown. We have a lot of new blood that will be trying to prove themselves as worthy starters. Our returners better come in ready because I really only see 2 guys with guaranteed starting spots (McDuffie and Shamet). Reaves is close but he's got several issues he needs to improve before I lock him in.
    Rod Brown is from Memphis. Just saying...

Comment

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      So was Elvis, 1979 -- and he isn't going to be with the Tigers next year, either. Plus, Shamet is from KC, but he isn't a Chickenhawk.

Rod is about as true Wu a Shocker as you'll find, and I'm looking forward to his contribution next season.

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Rod also has already redshirted. If he were to transfer, he’d lose another year only giving him 3 years to play college ball. I have a feeling Rod is anxious to get on the Shocker court now that he’s gotten a taste of it.

I would really be more at ease if 3G could just go ahead and lock up Akinjo.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Rod Brown is from Memphis. Just saying...
      Rod brown didn't have a connection at all with Penny. Penny housed Lomax since 6th grade ... wasn't exactly some recruiting magic.

Comment

I think McDuffie will benefit indirectly from the seniors graduating. Rashard Kelly's surge this season really pushed McDuffie from the 4 spot, and was probably the main reason why we didn't see him play many minutes at his best position. Not only was Kelly the most consistent player on the roster, he also was one of our better defenders. I don't think Marshall was in love with playing McDuffie at SF, he just wanted him to play minutes and gave him what was available.

Most importantly though I think he needs to survive the offseason without injury so he can get a lot of minutes of prep. I think he clearly is the type of player that would benefit it and be hurt by time off. I wouldn't be surprised if he was our top scorer again next season if things go well for him in the offseason.

Comment

• proshox
          proshox commented
          Editing a comment
          Then why was Willis playing a lot of minutes at the four with McDuffie at the three? McDuffie at the three was a huge mistake... it would have been better to push RK to the five in some line-ups if he was the "Constraint"

• CBB_Fan
          CBB_Fan commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know why Marshall played a few lineups with Willis and Shaq at the same time. But Kelly took 71% of the minutes at the PF spot over our last 5 games. Most likely, Willis was played at the 4 spot for the same reason McDuffie was played at the 3: because a more consistent senior played most of the minutes at their primary position but they were still good enough to earn minutes elsewhere.

Kelly pushed McDuffie to the 3. Shaq pushed Willis to the remaining minutes at the 4. In both cases, Marshall seems to have made the judgment that it is better to get 15-20 minutes of them at their secondary position than 5 minutes at their primary position.

If we can make the tournament next year, I'd call that a successful season. As of right now, we have no big man and no PG.
        "Say it slowly and savor it..."
        Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
          If we can make the tournament next year, I'd call that a successful season. As of right now, we have no big man and no PG.
          The bears say hi.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• N Crestway
            N Crestway commented
            Editing a comment
            The bears and Echenique say hi...admittedly Echenique needs a few more pounds...at the very least he is a rim defender.

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post

The bears say hi.
          No one that has played in a high-pressure environment. Sometimes that’s a good thing, but with AM I think that’s a very bad thing.

Comment

• AndShock
            AndShock commented
            Editing a comment
            From the limited minutes it seems he plays as tight as he possibly could. Some of that is probably from being scared of making a mistake in the short time he had which will go away with more PT.

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            Marshall on his Monday show, said AM is too nice. He needs to get that out of him.

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
            GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
            Editing a comment
            Thor is gonna have to find a way to be a bit more of a SOB on the floor. Granted, being a wonderful human being is nothing to sneeze at. I think most coaches would rather have guys that they need to rein in to that side of things than those they have with whom they need to be constantly using the proverbial stick. Gotta have some savage in you to be successful, I hope Thor can discover his inner Viking berserker mode.

I predict next season will be much like Oklahoma State’s season this year:

Times when they look brilliant (KU, WVU) and times when they struggle mightily. Sweat on the bubble. Maybe make it though, based on recent success.
          Last edited by Shock Top; March 29, 2018, 12:50 PM.
          The Assman

Comment

I’m have no idea what lineups will look like next year. Lots of incoming, unproven freshman. Two guys at the end of the rotation that their status may not be clear.

Thing is, I don’t think it’s that likely that SHJ or CJ transfer at this point. Two years in the system for CJ, plus playing meaningful minutes at the end of the year. He’s one of two guys on the roster who has demonstrated any type of athletic ability to guard the perimeter (McDuffie being the other). SHJ has a chance to win a major role for now reason other than lack of competition.

Comment

• PG, at this moment, AR. :) CJ at the 2; RB at the 3; MM at the 4: AM at the 5. ---???

Comment

• Slykryck
                Slykryck commented
                Editing a comment
                MM would by a tough matchup on the offensive end because of his ability to stretch the floor. But I don’t know if his post defense is good enough to play defense in conference. AACs PF were a lot more physical than in the Valley.

• 60Shock
                60Shock commented
                Editing a comment
                If this is our starting lineup for positions 1 and 2, it is going to be a very long year. AR is fine at the 2, but he is not a point guard, except perhaps in relief to spell the starting PG.

• I think SHJ stays if they think his anxiety issues can be worked out. If not, I hope he ends up playing for Newman of Friends.

I would be surprised if CJ transfers. He showed some promise late in the year and I think he can he a good player with regular minutes.
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by [URL="https://shockernet.net/member/10923-slykryck"
                Slykryck[/URL] commented
                MM would by a tough matchup on the offensive end because of his ability to stretch the floor. But I don’t know if his post defense is good enough to play defense in conference. AACs PF were a lot more physical than in the Valley.
                MM, along with AR, hopefully will benefit from Kerry's summer "schedule." Upper body strength is a must for both. Goes for Echenique coming in also.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post
                  ...SHJ has a chance to win a major role for now reason other than lack of competition.
                  While that statement might reflect reality it's not a good one.

Comment

• Any guards sign will start.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                      ShockdaWorld commented
                      Editing a comment
                      *point guard...Austin has the two locked down if he’s healthy.

• Opponents were very aware of Austin the last part of the season. He got bullied.

Comment

Working...
                    X