2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

This could be all true. I do know a thing or two about anxiety and its affects on behavior and decision making. If it is accurate that this a diagnosis for him; and if it accurate he didn't have it under control this past year, and if it can be controlled through pharmacologic intervention and possibly therapy, he has a chance to fulfill the potential Gregg saw in him.
    How in the world can you figure all that out in time while trying to determine how many pg's to recruit. And absent of playing in front of 10k how would you even know if diagnosis/treatment is working?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post
      Scorers and shooters? How did that work out for us this year? If you can score and shoot, but can’t defend the perimeter, you’re still a liability. CJ is one of two on the roster that has shown any type of ability to defend at a D1 level. And with all the minutes potentially available, I don’t see him going anywhere.
      We had kids that could shoot, yes (shooters). We had no one who could create a shot for themselves or drive to the hole at will (scorers).

We also had two players out there solely for defense and rebounding, leading to teams being able to sag off them and focus on other players on the offense. That just doesn’t work nearly as well the way the game is played today.

Putting CJ on the court is going to be a similar result to putting ZB on the floor. Having Stevenson/Moore out there give the team another offensive threat and makes it easier for the rest of the team on the court to run the office.
      The Assman

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        We don't that we didn't have guys that could get to the "hole." The offense wasn't designed for dribble drives... Two post players in the paint meant there were always at least 4 bodies to contend with if a guard wanted to get the rim...

The few times the lane cleared out, LS was able to get to the rim...

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        It is so simple proshox and could have been so easily fixed. I will always think this team could have been so much more than it was.

• Keyser shot .375 from the field, including .000 from 3. He averaged about 6.5 fouls per 30 minutes of playing time, and he didm't do the huge majority of that against top-line competition. I didn't see anything to make me think another year will have him ready for AAC competition. He got into more games late in the season because there was nobody else to put out there.

Keyser's and Shamet's scholarships would be best spent on JuCo guys so we don't have an even more unbalanced class structure than we already have. Lomax's should go to a HS player.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• We’ve got 2 scollies to fill and 2 huge questions marks from returning players. Either way, 3G will be earning his paycheck over the next 12 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          Keyser shot .375 from the field, including .000 from 3. He averaged about 6.5 fouls per 30 minutes of playing time, and he didm't do the huge majority of that against top-line competition. I didn't see anything to make me think another year will have him ready for AAC competition. He got into more games late in the season because there was nobody else to put out there.
          Sample size on most of his stats make many of them irrelevant. Kid only took 30 shots all year. It would be like me toting his a/to ratio (higher than AR) or even steals per 40 minutes (led the team). All that being said, I see your point with the fouls. Just watching him in games, you could see got whistled a lot. He did come in during some a few games and defend the perimeter when ZB and MM were in foul trouble and CF and AR struggled guarding the perimeter in a 3 guard lineup.

My biggest point is that since most of the highlight videos don’t show defense, I’m not confident that our incoming freshman can guard the perimeter. CJ showed some promise to end the year. IF he stays out of the doghouse in the offseason, it could be a big year for him. I also understand that’s a big IF.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

How in the world can you figure all that out in time while trying to determine how many pg's to recruit. And absent of playing in front of 10k how would you even know if diagnosis/treatment is working?
            Hey, from 30,000 feet I got the answers baby...

Comment

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post

Sample size on most of his stats make many of them irrelevant. Kid only took 30 shots all year. It would be like me toting his a/to ratio (higher than AR) or even steals per 40 minutes (led the team). All that being said, I see your point with the fouls. Just watching him in games, you could see got whistled a lot. He did come in during some a few games and defend the perimeter when ZB and MM were in foul trouble and CF and AR struggled guarding the perimeter in a 3 guard lineup.

My biggest point is that since most of the highlight videos don’t show defense, I’m not confident that our incoming freshman can guard the perimeter. CJ showed some promise to end the year. IF he stays out of the doghouse in the offseason, it could be a big year for him. I also understand that’s a big IF.
              IMO too many get caught up in his vertical. In limited time I see very little bb skills. I spit out my coffee every time I see a comparison to cotton. Hope my intuition is wrong.

Comment

• We will never have another Cotton.

Comment

• 60Shock
                  60Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sigh.

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

We had kids that could shoot, yes (shooters). We had no one who could create a shot for themselves or drive to the hole at will (scorers).

We also had two players out there solely for defense and rebounding, leading to teams being able to sag off them and focus on other players on the offense. That just doesn’t work nearly as well the way the game is played today.

Putting CJ on the court is going to be a similar result to putting ZB on the floor. Having Stevenson/Moore out there give the team another offensive threat and makes it easier for the rest of the team on the court to run the office.
                The 2018 team had an insanely easy time putting points on the board for a team that at any given time had only 3 offensive options and zero scorers on the floor. I'm not sure that math adds up.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  part of the offense that is being left out was R Kelly giving us 2nd chances at the basket

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Part of the reason R. Kelly got so many offensive rebounds is because he wasn't guarded... which makes it easier to avoid a "check-out"

• ShockRef
                  ShockRef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Part of the reason R. Kelly got so many rebounds was cause he worked his ass off to get in position to grab 'em. He may have had some shortcomings on offense, but he was the perfect example of why you don't look at a box score and judge their performance in a game. It was not only the rebounds, but I lost count of how many times he just tapped a missed shot back out to the guards and the offense ran another set. You will find out in about 7 months just how much his efforts will be missed.

That is all.

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                We will never have another Cotton.
                I loved Tekele but it seems his legend grows with each passing year. Pretty soon we'll be talking about his games of 10 blocks , 12 steals and how he kept the opposing team from reaching their locker room after the game.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• LoneStar48
                  LoneStar48 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm pretty sure I was there for that game!

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post

I loved Tekele but it seems his legend grows with each passing year. Pretty soon we'll be talking about his games of 10 blocks , 12 steals and how he kept the opposing team from reaching their locker room after the game.
                And?

Comment

• We need to get our defensive mojo back and players who can execute it. Comments were made regarding our D being affected by the conference we are now in and it being much tougher.
                  I know steals are just a part of it, but here is something I found, looking back and currently.

First, I only looked at the stronger opponents from 2012-13 through 2015-2016 and included no Valley teams in those numbers. I did not look at the number of steals before choosing the teams and did not pay any attention to wins and losses. This included 25 games: Iowa (2), Tennessee (2), Pitt, Gonzaga, Ohio St, Louisville, BYU, Alabama (3), Kentucky, Utah (2), Seton Hall (2), George Washington, Indiana, Kansas, Notre Dame, USC, Vanderbilt, Arizona, and Miami.

The average number of steals for each year against these teams: 7.8, 6.0, 7.6, and 7.9. Overall average was 7.48 steals per game (187 steals over 25 games). Fewest # of steals was 4, once (Alabama in the 4th year).

During those 4 years, we averaged 260 steals per year, never having less than 247 steals. Unexpected Stat for those 4 seasons: 7.18. That is the average number of steals for ALL games. We actually averaged 7.12 steals against lesser non-con opponents and MVC opponents.

This last year: Marquette, Notre Dame, Baylor, OSU, OU, Houston (3), SMU (2), Temple (3), Cincy (2). Average steals for these games: 3.67. Interesting stats: Most steals was 7, once, against Temple. That is less than our average against tougher opponents from 2012-2016. Take that one game out of the 15 and our average is 3.43, 4 steals per game less than against "tougher" opponents 2012-2016.

Average for all games last year: 4.67. Average for "lesser" games: 5.5. Unfortunate Stat: WSU 4 steals, Marshall 12 steals.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post

You know he could have if he wanted to ...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      We need to get our defensive mojo back and players who can execute it.]
                      I did like our perimeter D that year but lest we forget, we had a guy named Cle who didn't like D much but he could make points in bunches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I did like our perimeter D that year but lest we forget, we had a guy named Cle who didn't like D much but he could make points in bunches.
                        Yes, he did score 1,135 in 2 seasons, but he also averaged 5.7 rebounds, had 63 blocks, and 29 steals both seasons which is 6 more steals than any Shocker did this year (lest we forget).

Comment

Working...
                        X