No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Shox Offseason Predictions and Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to our new recruits energizing our program. However, the thing we need most is for our three major returnees (if Landry stays) to regain the quality of BB, and perhaps even more importantly, the confidence they exhibited most of the entire season (in MM's case the year before), which basically totally vanished our last several games.

At this point in time, in which we have many unknowns, my only prediction which is subject to change both ways, is that we will win more games than we will lose.

Comment

• IndianaShocker
      IndianaShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Landry was sensational in our ACC tourney loss to UH. Marshall was different story.

With 6 seniors returning from a pretty decent NCAA team, expectations were high. The results in the late stretch of the season were below reasonable expectations. Rightly, or wrongly, inferences can be drawn.

I think the demeanor, confidence, and attitude of the team will be fine next year. With the number of times Marshall complained about players missing practices, and the less-than-kind references to "migraines" and "stomach aches", there may have been some "coaching angry" moments. The players who missed practices won't be here next year.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
        GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch. However, it is true. I think we all saw that on several occasions this season. I hope he comes back to fix those issues.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      With 6 seniors returning from a pretty decent NCAA team, expectations were high. The results in the late stretch of the season were below reasonable expectations. Rightly, or wrongly, inferences can be drawn.

I think the demeanor, confidence, and attitude of the team will be fine next year. With the number of times Marshall complained about players missing practices, and the less-than-kind references to "migraines" and "stomach aches", there may have been some "coaching angry" moments. The players who missed practices won't be here next year.
      Nice snipe at some departing seniors.

Without Shaq and CF, this team would've finished .500 in the league and sniffing an NIT berth.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• FadedCrown
        FadedCrown commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe Shaq, but AR basically took over for CF and you know it

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't name names, I just mentioned guys who miss practices for reasons that are impossible to verify or refute. Since you named names, I'll just throw in that without Shaq and CF, Marshall probably would not have left those roster spots empty. There's no way to know what would happen without those two. Maybe missing practices would have been worse. Maybe winning games would have been better. We will never know.

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
      This spring recruiting period is going to be about guards, guards, guards. You could argue every potential guard, outside of maybe Reaves, has a question mark next to their name. Midtgaard and the boys have the post filled up and I don't expect any changes there.
      I'd even argue Reaves could have his hands full in terms of new competition for playing time between Stevenson, Lomax, and Moore.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        Reaves tries really hard to compensate for his lack of quickness, but he gets beat on drives by quicker guards. I don't think I've seen any reports of Stevenson's quickness or lack of it.

We might be spoiled by Baker's and VanVleet's ability to body up and knock opponents off of routes. That would be called as fouls with current officiating emphasis. Footwork and lateral quickness are the biggies for defenders.

• Kel Varnsen
        Kel Varnsen commented
        Editing a comment
        The defense of both FVV and RB was severely underrated. Completely agree.

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I'd even argue Reaves could have his hands full in terms of new competition for playing time between Stevenson, Lomax, and Moore.
      That would be a very GOOD thing. Reaves, Shamet and McDuffie all missed nearly all, all and all fall camp, respectively, and McDuffie even missed 11 games. It is tough to find and maintain team chemistry when 3 of the first 6 or seven are missing during prep time.

Nobody among us knows for certain what the migraines (CF and SM) and stomach problems (CF) resulted from, but there were missed games and missed practices as a result. All at a time when we were trying to integrate MM back into the mix, but the "mix" was not whole.

Hopefully next season we will get to see what Reaves can do after having an opportunity to gain strength and weight. Shamet needs to do the same.

Does anybody have any idea of what the expectations for Rod Brown?
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I hope Gregg and his staff find a way to improve our current guards ball handling and commitment to valuing the basketball. None of our returning guards have demonstrated that.

Comment

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
          GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
          Editing a comment
          I think this program needs to place more value on the ball AT ALL POSITIONS, not just the guards. Guards handle the ball more, obviously, so their turnovers are more noticeable. That said, Kelly and Willis absolutely KILLED the team with their mindless/careless turnovers in the second half of the Marshall debacle.

I’m not going to try to make a prediction about how well we will do, but I love the guys we have coming in. Chance Moore LOVES talking trash and has an attitude about him that Stevenson also has. I love It. This year it seemed like our guys were bored most the time and had no attitude or “swagger” about them.

Comment

• WheatShock
          WheatShock commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't mind someone having swagger but Ii'm not a fan of trash talking. Maybe its old fashioned but I thing a guy should let his play do the talking for him.

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
        I’m not going to try to make a prediction about how well we will do, but I love the guys we have coming in. Chance Moore LOVES talking trash and has an attitude about him that Stevenson also has. I love It. This year it seemed like our guys were bored most the time and had no attitude or “swagger” about them.
        Have you seen Chance Moore play?
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Roundhouse just tweeted Lomax has been granted his release.

Comment

Penny 1, Marshall 0

Penny Hardaway has already stolen a four-star recruit for Memphis
            https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...way-alex-lomax
            Last edited by SB Shock; March 20, 2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Maybe Lomax will recuse himself from WSU games.

Comment

Well, next year is even more interesting now.
                The Assman

Comment

I'm also big on Stevenson and Moore, plus Rod Brown. We have a lot of new blood that will be trying to prove themselves as worthy starters. Our returners better come in ready because I really only see 2 guys with guaranteed starting spots (McDuffie and Shamet). Reaves is close but he's got several issues he needs to improve before I lock him in.

Comment

G - James Ajinko
                    G - Landry Shamet
                    G - Austin Reaves
                    F - Markis McDuffie
                    C - Asbjorn Midtgaard

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                      ShockdaWorld commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like this lineup, but it only works if 3G is willing to stop trying to put Duff at the 3.
                  Working...
                  X