X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU players view the AAC coaches’ poll as ‘more fuel to the fire’

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

Comment

• I am personally very happy with the news of how low we rank. Excellent fuel to PLAY ANGRY. Much better than consensus Top 10 crap like last year. Complacency ate us up!

Comment

• Thoroughly enjoyed that WstateU. Thanks for posting that impromptu interview with the players. Looks as they are really enjoying themselves and have become real good friends! Good stuff!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Just going off looks, Dexter Dennis and Rod Brown are full grown men. Can’t wait to see these guys play.

Comment

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d throw Burton in that group as well!

• If you need external motivation at this level you aren't going to be very good.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• im4wsu
            im4wsu commented
            Editing a comment
            Nearly all players use external motivation to get hyped for games, whether it be prayer, music, superstitious items or behavior physical or mental routines. Motivation from bulletin board material or from coaches' pep talks, whatever, nearly all players find something to energize them through what might otherwise be lower-mood spots.

• Shockadaisical
            Shockadaisical commented
            Editing a comment
            A lot of great players look for motivation through a perceived lack of respect. Any edge you can get to push yourself a little harder.

• IndianaShocker
            IndianaShocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Might check with Ronnie Lott or Michael Jordan on that.

• While I am always an optimist, I am not a sunshine pumper. Some pundits think the AAC might be a one-big league this year. If this year's WSU team was in last year's AAC maybe a prediction of #8 in the league makes sense. But really, how will this year's AAC be compared to some of the better years of the MVC? It just seems to me that WSU should be competitive in every game this year and competitive in the league race.

Comment

• Just waiting for us to sneak into the tourney as a 9 or 10, get on fire, make an Elite Eight, beat Kansas, and celebrate our 2nd Final Four in 6 years.

Comment

• What should you expect from WSU this season? Taylor Eldridge breaks down the Shockers

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...220684565.html

His former coaches reveal why Gregg Marshall is college basketball’s best underdog

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...220690860.html
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 28, 2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Topshock
                Topshock commented
                Editing a comment
                "Best Underdog" article reiterates why GM is absolutely a perfect fit at WSU

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                Taylor does an excellent job... loved both of those articles. Two thumbs up!

• Shockers Host Catawba in Tuesday Exhibition

The first October exhibition game in Shocker history -- Tuesday night versus Catawba -- will feature a number of new faces.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Matt Norlander has WSU #99. He has three MVC teams ahead of WSU. I have a lot of respect for him. I suppose it isn't unreasonable.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Let's see what he thinks at the end of the season, ABC. I'd be surprised if three Valley teams are ahead of WSU at that point by any metric or rating, even though WSU will obviously have played a much tougher schedule..

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                Matt Norlander has WSU #99. He has three MVC teams ahead of WSU. I have a lot of respect for him. I suppose it isn't unreasonable.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...on-every-team/
                Possible maybe but not reasonable.

Comment

• WSU’s visual learners excited for next film chance in Tuesday’s exhibition

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...220804090.html

With eight players who haven’t been with a Division I program before this season, WSU’s long list of newcomers have found learning from breaking down film of last weekend’s scrimmage against Oklahoma State to be helpful.

“It’s amazing to me that it takes being shown in a video for some of these guys,” WSU coach Gregg Marshall said. “I had several of them say, ‘We want to do more video because we see it.’ You can tell us until we’re blue in the face, but seeing it is a whole different deal. It’s the same stuff we’ve been saying, but then you see it and see if you don’t do these things properly it can lead to negative results.”

Speaking on Monday afternoon, Marshall said the team was coming off a particularly poor practice in which he sent the players home 10 minutes early. One thing that ruffled Marshall was the behavior of a player he delegated to the scout team. Instead of using it as motivation, the player sulked. “He’ll figure out that pouting is not rewarded around here,” Marshall added.

“Based on (Sunday’s) practice, it’s not going to look great on Tuesday night,” Marshall said. “We’re going to have to muddle our way through it and I’m going to have to live with the mistakes and the lack of execution. But that’s why you play exhibition games. It’s early in the season, so hopefully we can play well and be pleasantly surprised.”
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 29, 2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Haha "visual learners". Quite possibly the first class of newcomer's Gregg has had that were born with a video game controller in their hands. Literally. Lol
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                      Haha "visual learners". Quite possibly the first class of newcomer's Gregg has had that were born with a video game controller in their hands. Literally. Lol
                      A lot of young, inexperienced athletes benefit from visual learning. 3G has never had to deal with so many newcomers to D-1 basketball and to his system which is reputed not to be the easiest system in the world. Heck just learing whatever jargon 3G uses in his system could be a challenge for many of these newcomvers.

Doesn't seem all that surprising to me that this would be the case. The good thing is they are willing to put the time in watching film and being critiqued to get better.

Comment

• I don't know what to think about this board anymore. It's 24 hours to game time. Where's the official pregame thread? The lineups, the discussion of the opponent (The Indians by the way are from North Carolina, who knew? Not me before looking it up a couple of hours ago). Where are the numbers! The predictions?

I fear for the future of Shockernet……..dot net.

Comment

• shockrah
                          shockrah commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe if you made a video....lol
                      Working...
                      X