No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Marshall Game Thread - First Round NCAA 2018 Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feels like Shaq was so completely underused to his potential many times this year. Let’s see... we have one of the top 10 or 20 centers in the NCAA, but let’s dribble and pass around the perimeter. Even today, we didn’t even try to feed the beast when their best 5 was sitting on the bench in foul trouble, to say nothing for the fact that Shaq had like 70 damn pounds on the dude when he was in the game. So head-scratching WTF.
    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; March 16, 2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      Really hard to feed the post when the other team doesn’t have to guard two players.

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      Proshox is so right! For instance when RK was in the game they practically double teamed Shaq because they didn’t have to guard RK. Same with Brown.

• On the reviewed out-of-bounds play toward the end of the game, I thought the review clearly showed that #3 for Marshall had his left palm making contact with the ball after Brown had tipped it. You could even tell when the play was shown in motion that the momentum of the ball was slowed down after Brown tipped it, meaning that the Marshall player was still making contact with the ball after it was tipped by Brown. The call should have been reversed and possession given to Wichita State. We would have been down three with the ball. I get that refs make calls in game play that go one way or another. And that's fine. That's the nature of the game. But when there is a review with multiple camera angles and one angle clearly shows enough evidence to reverse a call, you have to reverse the call.

Comment

• BOBB
      BOBB commented
      Editing a comment
      We were down three to a freaking 13 seed at that time. End of story.

• The last 3 minutes summed up the season in so many ways. Lack of execution. Unprepared. Horrible turnovers. This is exactly what some of us have been concerned about all year and have commented upon. It bit the Shockers right in the rear today. You can't play one way all season and then expect things to miraculously improve come tourney time. So much for this conference "preparing" the team to play better at the end of the season. This was a poor performance. Period! This was a disappointing season. Exclamation point! And I gladly and excitedly look forward to next season. Bring it!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

What did he say?

Comment

• Husker4Shockers
        Husker4Shockers commented
        Editing a comment
        Um, I forget; which tournament is his team playing in this year?

• SHOCKvalue
        SHOCKvalue commented
        Editing a comment
        Bracket Challenge app.

• Thankful for our 6 Seniors and wish them the very best. We won lots of games with them for the past 4 or 5 Seasons. They hustled their behinds off today but we came up short.

As far as today's game, I think that Marshall U. played solid defense. Our shooting woes continued from the 3-point line. CF and Willis shot good from there today while the rest of our squad was 0-16 I just heard 3G say on the radio. Now that hurt us a ton. It takes great hustle and execution to win big Dance games. Today we hustled but Marshall U. did execute better, especially down the stretch. Our 11 turnovers in the 2nd half killed us us too.

If W. Virginia wins today, I would think their stingy Defense should help them win versus Marshall U., but I would love to see Marshall U. defeat them.

Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

As classless as that is to post (and I expected nothing more), he's right (except only one Valley team made the tournament---he seems to have forgotten that).

Comment

• Dan Muller... always riding the coattails of others.

Cheer up, Salty Dan.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockerDropOut
            ShockerDropOut commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats on your NCAA tournament win Dan.......oh, nm.

• Originally posted by bunck View Post
          Wow at that piece of **** Dan Muller's tweet that Kennedy just read.
          Exhibit A as to why ISU isn't likely to make the dance. He can't see the forest for the trees. Switching conferences ensured that WSU wasn't sweating out Selection Sunday, or off the bubble by January. It's a perspective he doesn't understand and isn't ever likely to.

He had an opportunity to take the high road and passed. I could perhaps understand it if WSU or HCGM disparaged the Valley on our way out, but we didn't. The butthurt is strong in Mr. Muller.

Comment

• Tell Muller to tweet us next time he’s in a final four. Don’t worry, I’ll wait...

Comment

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              Let's settle for the first time he's in the tournament for now.

• Now I know what it feels like being a major program, getting upset in the tournament, and seeing the pot shots come from the mid majors and successful-limited schools. You realize how good you have it and how much jealousy there is on the outside. These mid's and low majors are dangerously close to playing themselves in their own NCAA I-AA Tournament. It's all kinda amusing. Glad to be above the cut line.

And hell, at least we weren't a 3 seed losing in a de facto home game to Bucknell.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I said before the game that we win if we don't jack up 20 threes and turn the ball over. We did both. Can't complain about a loss when you rely on the randomness of the 3 and spot another team 20 possessions. We did everything in our power to follow the script of an upset favorite, increasing randomness and giving the underdog many extra chances.

I'm surprised we did so little to execute a solid game plan and that we were so affected by it being a close game that we turned the ball over that many times.

Comment

• I had some funny's (Photoshoped) made to post as the game went on today...but nary was a good time to post them. Dang it.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Now I know what it feels like being a major program, getting upset in the tournament, and seeing the pot shots come from the mid majors and successful-limited schools. You realize how good you have it and how much jealousy there is on the outside. These mid's and low majors are dangerously close to playing themselves in their own NCAA I-AA Tournament. It's all kinda amusing. Glad to be above the cut line.

And hell, at least we weren't a 3 seed losing in a de facto home game to Bucknell.
                  I was telling myself that now I know what its like to be a KU fan.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't know about that.....you're a good guy. I don't think you've morphed into a complete douchenozzle at all.

• In his post-game interview in the locker room Landry said this...
                  Landry Shamet on the loss:
                  "I was f****ing shi**y today. I was really bad. It's 100% my fault."

The actual video is in Kunkel's Twitter feed. https://twitter.com/KWCHWill

Comment

• We weren't the only ones that disagreed with the pivotal possession call

Comment

Working...
                    X