• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just would like us to bank in a 3 every once in a while

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      I just would like us to bank in a 3 every once in a while
      The errant shot has to actually be in the range of the backboard to have a chance to be a bank shot. Unfortunately, our bicks are not close to that.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Someone call in and ask Mike about this

Comment

Thought Police would overrule it ;)
          The Assman

Comment

Not sure what all the talk is about recruiting. We got the best grade in the aac for incoming class. As for the MVC vs AAC, the AAC has already improved our profile, and that's according to the recruits themselves. We gonna be alright fellas.
            “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
            -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I hated the SLOB we ran at the end vs UH. Way too much clutter, and hard to tell what the go to was. Surely it wasn't CF catching in the corner? That's a terrible place to enter the ball for a game winning shot unless you're getting an open jumper. Even if Gray wouldn't have read it like a book, CF wasn't catch and shoot open. Likely, his only option would have been a contested shot going to his right.

Connested box sets on SLOBS should never be used in my opinion. We also try to get too cute with the plays. Maybe overthinking it.

Should the situation arrise in the NCAAT I would like to see McDuffie in the game for spacing. Put him in the ball side corner. CF or AR take it out with other in the opposite corner the ball is being taken out on. Shaq a step or two towards the inbounder at the top of the key. LS at opposite elbow. Shaq sets an angled down screen so LS catches one to two dribbles on the ball side of the key, preferable 25-26 ft out. After setting screen shaq returns above the key. He and Landry run a PNR with Shamet going right (in case of UH game) and a no help off shooter in the ball side corner. Guarantee we get a shot and lilely a good one.

It would be Even more likely if MM were a trustable passer. He should take it out leaving CF & AR in the corners. This would keep the corner defenders from hedging on LS or jamming SM while rolling.

Comment

Gregg said that the play he drew up was drawn up with several more seconds on the clock. They didn't allow him to re do the play after they took the time off the clock. Whatever, the inbounds pass was poorly executed. Your play also has to be executed to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  Gregg said that the play he drew up was drawn up with several more seconds on the clock. They didn't allow him to re do the play after they took the time off the clock. Whatever, the inbounds pass was poorly executed. Your play also has to be executed to work.
                  AR was late with the pass. When the pass should have been made, AR was looking farther toward midcourt. CF was briefly open to receive the pass about 10 feet before the pass was intended, but probably would have been covered immediately. A catch, pump fake and step back toward midcourt might have produced an open jumper, though.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I continue to maintain little confidence in HCGM and ability to close out the tough games.
                    I see a lot of excitement but not much composure.

People have cited the end of the ND game and then there was Cincy. We now have Houston.

Case in point - 23.4 seconds on game clock, 21.2 shot clock. WSU inbounds to Shamet who dribbles into the front court.
                    He then dribbles some more, makes a short pass to a smothered Frankamp, who quickly returned the ball. Shamet dribbles some more... and some more...and some more before finally kicking it to Reaves on the far sideline with 8 seconds remaining. Reaves starts to drive, ball is deflected, falls to the floor and calls T/O with 6 seconds remaining. We all know what happened next.

HCGM stood there and watched the entire time and either thought things looked fine or wasn't sure what to do.
                    You tell me.

As mentioned, confidence in WSU end game situations remains minimal, especially with his current group of lieutenants.

That is all.
                    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      Its not "my play", it's a set that plays to our strengths and limits the opponents defensive options scheme wise.

The basic premise is spread the court and give your two best players and scorers a PNR opporttunity in the middle of the floor. Of course they have to execute. Same can be said for any play.

But we don't have to worry about congestion and the play working perfectly. We just would have to get in our spots and attack with a 2 man game and lights out shooters in the corners. That's easy design wise yet difficult to guard

Comment

I'd also wish we would stop taking 3's when down by 1 or tied (Houston, Cincy, Temple). Drive to the rim or get it to Shaq/Willis, get a shot up and hope for a foul at least.

Comment

• Aargh
                          Aargh commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And the person who can drive to the basket would be...

When the other team switches and is trying hard to keep the ball from option 1 and 2, you must have a 3.

Comment

I'd also wish we would stop taking 3's when down by 1 or tied (Houston, Cincy, Temple). Drive to the rim or get it to Shaq/Willis, get a shot up and hope for a foul at least.
                          We've tried this repeatedly. When you get mugged with no foul call repeatedly, you start going to other options.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                            Stickboy46 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            We've also tried making 3s at the buzzer ... I can't remember one going in ...

• SHOCKvalue
                            SHOCKvalue commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well there was that one time with Matty B.

So yeah, there’s some grainy 4:3 footage out there somewhere of the last time a last second three went in for WSU.

I could not understand any strategy decisions made in the second half until they finally realized to go inside each time down the floor.
                          Houston's interior defense consisted of #24 & #13 attempting to get physical and both fouled out in a short period. When we finally stopped taking jump shots, Shaq had an open runway right down the lane for dunks and lay ins. Why we even thought about taking jump shots after both were gone was absolutely baffling. Every time we attempted a jump shot after that played right into Houston's game plan.

I don't want to hear any weak excuses about wanting the time out adjusted after the officials changed the remaining time from 9 to 6 seconds.
                          HCGM had PLENTY of time to change whatever set he had planned and did nothing. In fact, he spent a considerable amount of time gabbing with Sampson while the officials were calculating how much time expired. He only spent time with them right before Teddy went over to the CBS TV crew and explained what was going on.

Be a leader, step up and accept responsibility

That is all.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                            SHOCKvalue commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Are you sure you’re actually a WSU fan? You literally almost only post when you want to take a steaming pile of **** on something associated with our program.

• proshox
                            proshox commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Spot on SR

• Rlh04d
                            Rlh04d commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I entirely agree about Shaq. Once Houston got in foul trouble, that game should have been over, because Shaq could have won that game single handedly. And yet we didn't continue to utilize him in the post against an increasingly laughably thin interior defense.

Value,
                          I've been supporting this program from the book ends, through the 90's and yes now. I attended 21 straight years in STL and just returned from Orlando. That's a pretty good timeline of support.
                          Just because I don't view the program through rose, err, yellow colored bifocals doesn't mean I lack support. I just call out the obvious and if you disagree with my observations, that's up to you.

However, my observations are spot on and not influenced by bias - or color tainted glasses.

That is all.

Comment

Working...
                          X