Which Is Worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Is Worse?

The Shockers went 4-29 from 3 in their last game.

Last night, the Houston Rockets went 1-14 in their first 15 shots from the free throw line. Shouldn't professional basketball players be able to shoot better?

Or does the answer to the question lie in the laws of probability. Simply stated, sooner or later, everybody is going to have a bad day at the office.

Just wondering.

Merry Christmas to all.

Re: Which Is Worse?

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
    the answer to the question lie in the laws of probability. Simply stated, sooner or later, everybody is going to have a bad day at the office.

Comment

You can't really stop shooting free throws. You can stop shooting three pointers/take higher percentage shots.

Comment

4-29 is worse, it could have been prevented.

Comment

does anyone else think they could make 4 of 29 from half court?

Comment

im pretty sure i could

Comment

Originally posted by verbeak
              im pretty sure i could
              yeah right. if so, you'd be the best long distance shooter in Sedgwick County.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                im pretty sure i could
                Im going to heskett center later to try it. I'll let everyone know what my percentage is.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                  im pretty sure i could
                  I'm with you Verbeak. I am very confident that I could make 4-29 half court shots as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                    You can't really stop shooting free throws. You can stop shooting three pointers/take higher percentage shots.
                    So, if a team is shooting 40% on the season from 3, for what period of time does the team discontinue shooting? One game, two games, one season, other?

Comment

I'm fine with us shooting the three-ball. As long as you are shooting 33% from behind the arch it is as good as shooting 50% from inside the arch. We just had an extremely bad night shooting the ball and unfortunately we do not have the greatest group of shooters on this team. It will change in the future, but we might have to put up with some ugly shooting nights until we get the right guys into the system. I'd rather have a player take a wide open three pointer than force up a contested shot from within the arch.

To answer RDR's question regarding a team shooting 40% from the three point line on the season, you let that team shoot, shoot and shoot more. Including WSU's 4-29 shooting night they are 50-161 or 31.1% from three point range. Without that performance they were 46-132 or 34.8%. While 34.8% doesn't sound great it does equate "points wise" to shooting better than 50% from two point range. Overall I think this year's team is probably good for 35-40% from three point range, but they are going to have their bad nights like last Friday.

Comment

does anyone else think they could make 4 of 29 from half court?
                        I'm shooting 50% from half court at Koch Arena with sellout crowds. Granted, nobody was guarding me and I'm sure I travelled (like Gal, its a bad habit I'll have to break). But alas, I can't play for the Shox since I accepted the $1k in furniture. :D

Comment

So, if a team is shooting 40% on the season from 3, for what period of time does the team discontinue shooting? One game, two games, one season, other?

I didn't mean a team should stop shooting three pointers completely. Basketball is a game of streaks, and adjustments. If three pointers aren't falling in a particular game, you have to adjust.

Comment

I'm sure most of the Shocker players could outshoot anybody on this forum, myself included. I'd put money on it, even betting against myself.

Dwelling on a bad shooting night doesn't make it go away. The best medicine is to just keep shooting, so in this respect I totally 110% without even giving it another thought agree with what Marshall told the players to do. You cannot pass up wide open shots in a game for a better shot.

Comment

I didn't mean a team should stop shooting three pointers completely. Basketball is a game of streaks, and adjustments. If three pointers aren't falling in a particular game, you have to adjust.
                              I agree with this. Sometimes it's just not you're night and you have to make in-game adjustments, like pounding the ball into the interior. Then you might go back to the regular gameplan for next game and not pass up the 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X