Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Solutions For Players taking Illegal Incentives

How about this:

Put a clause in scholarship agreements that players will not take any unauthorized incentives while on scholarship. Violation of that clause would result in the player being liable to the athletic department for the amounts of any scholarships provided by the school. There would be no time limit, so if the player were found to have taken illegal incentives, the player would be liable to the school even if the player was long gone from the school.

For a 4th-year player, that would be in the range of a $100,000+ fine for taking a payment.

The simple way around that would be for agents to pay the players family, and the player would be able to deny any knowledge of any payments.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

So a player would essentially sign a contract binding for life?
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really. Taking payments from an agent, booster, etc. WHILE ON SCHOLARSHIP would be the stipulation. But, just because a player didn't get caught until after they were out of college wouldn't remove their liability.

That would do nothing in deterring the 5 star one and dones

Comment

Concept is ok, but you would be forever suing past players for the reimbursement

Comment

dissolve the corrupt ncaa for a start. they enable this stuff. so mad at uk, they have to hammer cleveland state etc. etc.

Comment

nm

Comment

Headhunters come to college campuses all the time trying to catch the best talent. They offer incentives like signing bonuses and relocation packages. If a regular finance student can do this, I don't think there is any reason why a senior athlete in their last semester can't do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
              Headhunters come to college campuses all the time trying to catch the best talent. They offer incentives like signing bonuses and relocation packages. If a regular finance student can do this, I don't think there is any reason why a senior athlete in their last semester can't do the same.
              I like this one. Let players sign with agents and receive compensation at any time without affecting their eligibility during the current school year. Seniors could sign as soon as they enrolled in classes for their last year and lose no eligibility. Sign during any other academic year and the player is ineligible for future academic years.

That would avoid the vacated wins for situations like Fred is in, where the school gets punished for having done nothing wrong, and the player gets no penalty for doing something wrong.

Comment

Institute baseball draft rules while opening development league for those who have no interest in academics.

Comment

Paying few thousand dollars stipend every month to basketball and football players will solve this issue for most part. Will anyone of you be okay if your employer pays for your education instead of paying you a salary?. Several players generate millions to the universities but aren't good enough to go pro and the garbage degree major they got doesn't help them much either.
                  Also players should be able to go pro whenever they want from high school till junior year and the player should be able to decide whether he wants to go pro if he gets drafted or go back to college to increase his draft stock or get an education.

Comment

A few thousand a month? Football teams have...........60?...........scholarship players?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FBS schools (D1-A) generally have 85 scholarship players plus who knows how many walk-ons.

FCS schools (D1-AA) generally have 63 scholarships.

Since when would a few thousand a month stop anyone from accepting a few more thousand from someone with an open wallet throwing hundred dollar bills at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Shree View Post
                      Paying few thousand dollars stipend every month to basketball and football players will solve this issue for most part. Will anyone of you be okay if your employer pays for your education instead of paying you a salary?. Several players generate millions to the universities but aren't good enough to go pro and the garbage degree major they got doesn't help them much either.
                      Also players should be able to go pro whenever they want from high school till junior year and the player should be able to decide whether he wants to go pro if he gets drafted or go back to college to increase his draft stock or get an education.
                      How does a grand a month do anything to stop the $100,000 paid before the kid commits to a school?

So you're saying a player would not be allowed to go pro after his junior year?

We get that you think the player should be totally non-restricted, the school should not only provide for their education, but also finance the better part of a new car every year, and have no expectation of having the player's performance beyond what he does today. Free phones for everybody, along with free lunches and free....
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Just get rid of the rules about compensation all together. Nothing will change since the money is all ready flowing and nobody will pretend that it isn’t happening.

Nobody asked me where my money came from while i attended college. In fact, nobody cared.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post

Comment

Working...
                          X