No announcement yet.

Official Shocks vs Tigers Game These

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody said that before, that he was trying to impress scouts. If so, it ain't working. I never thought he was an NBA kid, still don't. Not sure what the answer is.

Comment

• First half observation:
      When playing two 5's (any combo of Nurger, Morris and Willis), we were -5 in a half we lead by 11.

Second half observation:
      When LS wasn't playing we weren't very good no matter who else was playing.

Seems like the game was a step in the right direction.

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a big fan of two fives. I sense the score goes in the wrong decision more often than not, but i sure can’t back that feeling up with data.

• Shocktoberfest
        Shocktoberfest commented
        Editing a comment
        Makes perfect sense to me. The single, most obvious problem we have had during our recent skid is LS not playing well. AR and SM got us a win against a bad Tulsa team. IF we are going to make a run LS will absolutely have to be playing like the stud he is.

• First time seeing the team in person this year. I have a lot of thoughts but the main one is that this team has some of the worst shot selection, given time, score, and momentum, that I have seen a WSU team have recently: ZB making a great steal in the press, standing at the 3pt line for 4 seconds, and then jacking a three. DW shooting a pull-up jumper when he had the lane clear and a defender on his hip (prolly could have been a dunk). Multiple shots by MM and Shaq that never had a chance because their feet were never set or didn catch the ball cleanly.

Then there is little things: RK throwing the ball to SM who had his defender buried, but right under the basket givin SM nothing to do with the ball. MM getting the ball in transition and trying to do too much with it. The shockers not pushing the ball up the sideline on breaks enough. Not throwing a lob to SM MULTIPLE times in the game off a pick and roll to get a dunk.

Overall, this team is a lot closer to the level that we expect than I thought we were going into the game. But damn they need to slow down and play smarter.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        I will say there was a 5-8 minute stretch where almost every shot taken was a total head scratcher. Otherwise I thought it was decent to excellent. If you're going to take in one game, take in a game that you haven't had the chance to I say. Glad you were there!

• I will also say that #2 for Memphis is a punk ***** who set illegal screens all night long, boxed out the free throw shooter too rough, and yapped all night.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• pogo
        pogo commented
        Editing a comment
        How about that legal screen that Shaq set and the Memphis guy hit him and dropped to the floor and left the game with his arm dangling. I mean Shaq didn't even show any physical reaction to the impact.

• One of the things I loved about Fred was he could slow everyone down if he thought they were getting too helter skelter. Several times he would make the motion with his off hand to slow it down. Last night LS seemed more engaged in ALL aspects of the game directing people where they needed to be on defense as well as offense. ZB actually shoved MM into a more forward position to guard the ball coming across the halfcourt in what seemed to be a non verbal "pick him up before he gets to the top of the key". MM not back yet and it seems he plays too quick and loses control in drives to the basket. Not a good defensive look where the guy head fakes him into the air and he comes down on the opposing player. Connor is starting to turn down shots that he would have taken earlier. Really struggling with his shot...All of them. RK plays like a mad man but he needs help at the free throw line. A much better effort defensively last night and the offense was better even though SM was shackeled with early foul trouble. Little steps, little steps.

Comment

• I don't buy at all that McDuffie is doing anything but trying to help us win. Now, he is doing it ineffectively. A guy that should be one of our best players and a real matchup problem is a liability on the floor right now. If this gets corrected and we get the 2017 version of McDuffie, forget an improved version, we will look much better.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• proshox
          proshox commented
          Editing a comment
          Play him at the four and ask him to play within that role and he will get better.

• Anybody have a replay link of the game? I wasn't able to catch the game and watch to watch it!
        Shocker Alumni
        Shocker Club Soccer alumni
        Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

• It was a decent road win against an ok team (better than most Valley teams). There are no bad road wins but we executed the offense when we had to (4 or 5 point lead) in the second half.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
            It was a decent road win against an ok team (better than most Valley teams). There are no bad road wins but HCGM CALLED A TIMEOUT when we had to (4 or 5 point lead) in the second half.
            Fixed it.

It was so effective. I loved it. It completely halted their run.

Comment

• Not really meant to be a jab, but I wonder if DW will get the green light from deep taken away from him. He looks awesome from about 15 feet and in. Maybe it’s premature, but his 3 point attempts have just looked ugly the last several games. The defense was sinking off of him on the perimeter last night and I’d much rather see him take a couple hard steps inside and take the jumper from 15 if not take it all the way to the rack. ZB has been a little more selective and while I haven’t taken a look at his FG%, he seems to be hitting at a higher clip than early in the season. He took one shot last night that made me cringe when we got the steal off the press. There was nobody between him and the bucket and he missed an unguarded 3 short. It obviously ended up not being a big deal, but I wouldn’t be surprised if shot selection ends up being a topic of discussion at practice.
              Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                ShockingButTrue commented
                Editing a comment
                Many leads...

• ShockdaWorld
                ShockdaWorld commented
                Editing a comment
                Last night it seemed like when DWill was in at the 5, he posted up, played physical, and killed them Tigers. When he was in at the 4, it was as if he felt the need to be a stretch 4 rather than a power 4. I like the idea of the 3 headed monster at the 5 (Shaq, DW, and Rauno), give DW’s minutes at the 4 to Duff. He’s more effective there.

• proshox
                proshox commented
                Editing a comment
                DW is a 5. He plays much better when he is in at the 5.

• I don't mind ZB taking a wide open 3, but if he misses, he needs to lay off the attempts for a while. He's a streaky shooter and it seems like he's either on or off an entire game. As for Shaq, DW RK and Nurger, I don't want them taking any 3 point shots at all in close games. They need to be working the paint for easy buckets. If we're up by 15 points, I don't much mind the occasional 3 point attempt from these guys.

Comment

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                Shaq is 42% on the year. That’s probably not accurate over the long-term but until he proves that he can’t make them I’m all for him taking as many 3s as he wants. I agree on the other post players and would move Zach Brown into that group.

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Shaq doesn't take as many 3s at it seems. In 11 conference games, he's taken 13 3s, making 7. I find it real hard for me to complain about that.

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree about Shaq more than the other bigs. I'd just add that when he's hanging out on the perimeter he's not doing what he does best, which is dominating the paint.

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I don't mind ZB taking a wide open 3, but if he misses, he needs to lay off the attempts for a while. He's a streaky shooter and it seems like he's either on or off an entire game. As for Shaq, DW RK and Nurger, I don't want them taking any 3 point shots at all in close games. They need to be working the paint for easy buckets. If we're up by 15 points, I don't much mind the occasional 3 point attempt from these guys.
              I don’t mind a wide open 3 attempt either, but when you’ve been struggling from deep all year why not take the opportunity for some authority points? I get it, I was a shooter when I played. When you’re a shooter and you’re dared to shoot you shoot. He has confidence in his shot and he hit a nice looking 3 in the first half. It’s just hard for me to argue against a wide open path to the basket.

Enough negative though. I was pleased with our defensive play last night. Much more intensity and it showed. How many steals did we have last night? We did a good job obstructing passing lanes and we seemed to have a healthy amount of points off turnovers. The best offense is a good defense, and it definitely helps when we have offensive firepower to take advantage!
              Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Reaves is coming along nicely. He's showed in '18 that he deserves to be the starter over the other guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJShocker10 View Post
                Not really meant to be a jab, but I wonder if DW will get the green light from deep taken away from him. He looks awesome from about 15 feet and in. Maybe it’s premature, but his 3 point attempts have just looked ugly the last several games. The defense was sinking off of him on the perimeter last night and I’d much rather see him take a couple hard steps inside and take the jumper from 15 if not take it all the way to the rack. ZB has been a little more selective and while I haven’t taken a look at his FG%, he seems to be hitting at a higher clip than early in the season. He took one shot last night that made me cringe when we got the steal off the press. There was nobody between him and the bucket and he missed an unguarded 3 short. It obviously ended up not being a big deal, but I wouldn’t be surprised if shot selection ends up being a topic of discussion at practice.
                I don't mind if your comment is a jab. DW needs to stop taking 3s. It really doesn't make good sense.

In his first 10 games this season, he went 8-16 from 3 and fell in love with it. Over the last 13 games, he is 3-19. This coming from a young man who is at .553 from inside the arc for the season.

Regarding ZB, his % of 3 pointers to total shots taken has increased from 55% last year to 70% this year. Last year he shot .345 from 3, this year is .317. That's unfortunate because he has only taken 25 shots inside the arc making 16 of them (.640). He's also at .815 from FT which he would have more opportunities if he's going to the bucket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
                  At 9:33 p.m., on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, let it be known that Coach Marshall officially called a time out at a needed moment.
                  I didn't watch the game. Just read "play-by-play" and agree with you that GM made a good call there. Nobody is perfect. Hope he is learning.
                  Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Working...
                  X