Does the Big 12 need to implode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Big 12 need to implode?

Was talking about shox basketball last night with some people when all the sudden this KSU fan walks by and says "The shockers went to a worse conference." Everyone that heard it was stunned. I can't help wonder sometimes if it would be better for everyone if the Big 12 imploded.
    Obviously some of those participanting schools obsess over the Big 12 to a point where they don't think clearly and we're talking this new version of the fractured Big 12 that consists of mostly Texas schools and a long flight out to WVU.
    With that being said, maybe KSU needs something like a Valley stop to sober them up? Lol.

There's a bunch of people that think the Big 12 will break up in a few years. I guess we'll see what happens.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Seems to me like the longer it goes without full membership, the more it becomes in peril. Like the old business saying that if you aren't growing, you are dying.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Whether the Big 12 continues to be a Power league all hinges on Texas and OU. If one of those leaves, the other will leave too and the league diminishes greatly.

Comment

I imagine a lot of it will hinge on money and the new media rights in a couple of years. I don't see a whole lot of money going to the big 12 minus conference. Just doesn't seem that there will be a bidding war for the Oklahoma tv rights because right now thats all they can brag about as a conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Seems to me like the longer it goes without full membership, the more it becomes in peril. Like the old business saying that if you aren't growing, you are dying.
            I would stick this thread in another forum. Seems like a no brainer.

Comment

• bleed yellow
              bleed yellow commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't comment anything if all's you're worried about is what forum the thread belongs in.

I have a feeling the Big 12 didn't expand last year because they were told the possible additions wouldn't result in much if any additional TV money, and the current members didn't want to dilute the pot.

That doesn't bode well for the Big 12 when their current contract expires, and I think it's a neutral effect on the AAC. A lot of things have to go right, the big one being the AAC's contract negotiations next year, but there is a definite possibility the AAC and Big 12 end up on relatively equal footing in 10 years. If both OU and Texas leave the Big 12, there's a chance the Big 12 wouldn't survive at all.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              I have a feeling the Big 12 didn't expand last year because they were told the possible additions wouldn't result in much if any additional TV money, and the current members didn't want to dilute the pot.

That doesn't bode well for the Big 12 when their current contract expires, and I think it's a neutral effect on the AAC. A lot of things have to go right, the big one being the AAC's contract negotiations next year, but there is a definite possibility the AAC and Big 12 end up on relatively equal footing in 10 years. If both OU and Texas leave the Big 12, there's a chance the Big 12 wouldn't survive at all.
              Not so sure about your statement concerning the TV money. UCF and USF are two of the largest schools in the nation. Plus, Florida is the third largest state in the nation with over 21 million people which offers a huge TV population.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post

Not so sure about your statement concerning the TV money. UCF and USF are two of the largest schools in the nation. Plus, Florida is the third largest state in the nation with over 21 million people which offers a huge TV population.
                OK, so why hasn't that resulted in big TV money for their current and former conferences?
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• 60Shock
                  60Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Give it time and it will. UCF has only been playing Div 1 football for 11 years. Obviously, it has taken time for the two Florida schools to start building their sports resume. UCF finally exploded this year in football. Plus the fact TV contracts cover a number of years and I don't believe dollar values change annually. I could be wrong though.

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

They didn't expand because they were paid not to. The B12 contract actually specified additional schools would each get an additional share from the broadcasters, needless to say the broadcasters prefer to slide a bit of cash to each school rather than pay 2 schools, who may or may not help the product, full shares.

Comment

So one clueless KSU fan said something so the entire conference needs to implode? Nothing against this thread, but if I started a new thread every time I heard a KU, KSU, OU, Texas or any other fan say something that didn't make sense or that I didn't like we'd have an entire forum full of pointless threads....or maybe we do already. Point is, there are idiots everywhere including our own fan base. The majority of fans know the AAC is better than the Valley, clearly the AAC is having a down year. Without us the conference would be really down this year.

Comment

• bleed yellow
                    bleed yellow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One could also say if you don't like the thread, there's nothing saying you have to comment.

Random thought, but now that you mention it...how would K-State fair in Valley basketball? Seems like Bruce Weber would fit into the league quite nicely. They might even finish atop the conference this year.
                  "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                  Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

They didn't expand because they were paid not to. The B12 contract actually specified additional schools would each get an additional share from the broadcasters, needless to say the broadcasters prefer to slide a bit of cash to each school rather than pay 2 schools, who may or may not help the product, full shares.
                    Ooooh. I see. Then I assume the AAC contract did not include such language, otherwise we'd be getting our prorata share of basketball TV money?

Comment

I've said it before on this board, and I'll say it again...once the Big 12 does implode, KSU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Baylor will all be brought back to reality in the American.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                        I've said it before on this board, and I'll say it again...once the Big 12 does implode, KSU, Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Baylor will all be brought back to reality in the American.
                        Ii have even mentioned to some of my friends that are the fans of the blue and red that they could be in this mix. Their response is football drives this these decisions. QED.....KU football fits in the American possibly, but not any other conference they believe they should join. I still think they would be at the bottom. This is not shadenfreude, just based on a great basketball school with an anchor in football and the TV economics.
                        Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Working...
                        X