No announcement yet.

Does the Big 12 need to implode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda seems like that not only is the Big 12 fractured, it's also old and dusty. And yes, it seems like OU and Texas are the only ones noticing it and no one really knows if it bothers them enough to leave. I think watching schools like WSU switch conferences bothers Big 12 fans to a certain degree.. It would be like hearing one of your acquaintances got a new sports car while your stuck with an old Buick.

Comment

I think FadedCrown should start a poll on whether bleed yellow should start new threads.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by The 'hut View Post
        Ii have even mentioned to some of my friends that are the fans of the blue and red that they could be in this mix. Their response is football drives this these decisions. QED.....KU football fits in the American possibly, but not any other conference they believe they should join. I still think they would be at the bottom. This is not shadenfreude, just based on a great basketball school with an anchor in football and the TV economics.
        KU football would be a cellar dweller in the MVC.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I get excited just thinking about Big 12 schools joining the American someday.

Comment

Here’s a ridiculous thought. The American actually has a trend towards large metropolitan universities. Not that it wouldn’t be interested in pretty much any big time BCS school that needed a home... but it would sure fit in nicely with the American to grab a school like UAB

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
              I can't help wonder sometimes if it would be better for everyone if the Big 12 imploded.
              I think it already did, didn't it? How else does a league whose name refers to 12 teams end up with only 10, one of which is about a thousand miles and a time zone away from all the others?

Comment

Everyone knows that the BXII imploding depends on if Texas and Oklahoma want to move their football teams. Personally, I think their best bet is to stay in the BXII. Both have a much higher chance winning a 10 team BXII to reach the CFP than going through a 16 team SEC/B1G/PAC.

I’ll take it further and add that Nebraska and Missouri probably would be better off in Football back in the BXII.

BXII teams (except WVU) would be smart to stay put, unified, and not chase tv money. Keep your round robin and longtime geographical rivals. The BXII has a special thing going in football - relative to other conferences in the current era.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                  Here’s a ridiculous thought. The American actually has a trend towards large metropolitan universities. Not that it wouldn’t be interested in pretty much any big time BCS school that needed a home... but it would sure fit in nicely with the American to grab a school like UAB
                  And Birmingham was in CUSA 1.0 too. With Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, DePaul, Marquette, Saint Louis, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

I think it already did, didn't it? How else does a league whose name refers to 12 teams end up with only 10, one of which is about a thousand miles and a time zone away from all the others?
                    Looking back at it, the Big 12 glory days ended with the 90's.. When Nebraska football died, all the focus went to Texas and OU making the football side less entertaining. Eddie Sutton and Norm Stewart had some gritty battles with KU, after they retired Big 12 basketball remains relavant, but it's just not as entertaining. I think the Baylor coach has been there for awhile, but he hasn't challanged KU in the slightest. So it really is just a matter of whats next. First they lost their entertainment value, then their overall conference value. Will the 3rd round be losing their conference?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGirl View Post

And Birmingham was in CUSA 1.0 too. With Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, DePaul, Marquette, Saint Louis, etc.
                      It's too bad. UAB and Louisville are the two schools the American really ought to have. The fact that they have history there is one thing and they complete the picture geographically, too. Throw in Army and Air Force and it would be an awfully cool conference

Comment

I think we should be careful what we wish for, because the demise of the B12 stands about as much chance of leading to the death of the AAC as we know, as it does a strengthened AAC with leftover B12 membership. Probably more chance the former happens than the latter, actually.

The leftover 2/3rds or 3/4ths or whatever of the B12 still would have plenty of clout to make a few calls and take the cream from the AAC and MWC to make a new attempt at a power conference. Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but it's not likely we'd be getting a call in such a scenario.

So really... we should just hope the B12 holds form as its current dysfunctional self.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          I think we should be careful what we wish for, because the demise of the B12 stands about as much chance of leading to the death of the AAC as we know, as it does a strengthened AAC with leftover B12 membership. Probably more chance the former happens than the latter, actually.

The leftover 2/3rds or 3/4ths or whatever of the B12 still would have plenty of clout to make a few calls and take the cream from the AAC and MWC to make a new attempt at a power conference. Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but it's not likely we'd be getting a call in such a scenario.

So really... we should just hope the B12 holds form as its current dysfunctional self.
                          We'd get an invite if we had a decent football team

Comment

• 60Shock
                            60Shock commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It takes years years to build a decent football team and maybe even longer for a Kansas school starting off from scratch.

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

We'd get an invite if we had a decent football team
                          I wouldn't bet on that.

I don't think KU & KSU would want to be in the same conference with us.
                          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                            One could also say if you don't like the thread, there's nothing saying you have to comment.
                            One could say that you don't take constructive criticism very well... Anyway, at no point did I say I didn't like the thread, just said we'd have a **** ton just like it if we started one every time a random idiot said something that doesn't make sense. That said I did get 5 likes on my comment to your 0 for starting the thread.. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post

One could say that you don't take constructive criticism very well... Anyway, at no point did I say I didn't like the thread, just said we'd have a **** ton just like it if we started one every time a random idiot said something that doesn't make sense. That said I did get 5 likes on my comment to your 0 for starting the thread.. ;)
                              I don't know of a better way to tell you to stop posting on this thread.. Please go away

Comment

Working...
                              X