WSU Versus Houston Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Versus Houston Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Here's the deal. Houston, You have a problem, but before delving into to that, allow me to basking back to some glory days of both Programs. Many of us remember the Astrodome game featuring Houston led by Elvin Hayes versus mighty UCLA and Lew Alcindor with 52,000 + fans there and millions of us watching the Cougars pull it out. Who's betta? That Houston team or the Phi Slama Jama team lead by Hakeem (the Dream) Olajuwon and Clyde (the Glide) Drexler. Always enjoyed watching their Coach of those days, Guy Lewis, with his fancy smancy checkered towel. Even so, what about the first Final 4 Shocker team that was missing both Dave (the Rave) Stallworth and Nate Bowman 2nd Semester and our Final 4 team recently led by Baker, Cle, Hall, Cotton, Armstud and FVV? Now, let us go hitherto and the here and now in our exciting new Conference AAC. This is what we have been dreaming for and now reality has come upon us.

So why does the Houston Cougars have a problem? First of all, IMO, they are better than the Mags say. Athlon and Street & Smith pick them 8th and Lindy's 7th? Right now, they are 11-2 and play Temple tonight in a Conference contest. I'm thinking they will end around smack dab in the middle of this here AAC when it is all said and done. Enter high scoring Rob (Instant Offense) Gray who averages over 20 ppg (scoring leader in the AAC last Season), but can unload for over 30 on a given night. RG is a top 5 player in the AAC and will be a challenge for the Shocks to hold to a mild roar. Galen (Here's to you Mr.) Robinson and Devin (DD) Davis can also hoop it up and cause havoc at times.They lost to Drexel and LSU. They are coached by Kelvin Sampson whom we remember moons ago at Oklahoma. I noticed something unique about their roster names. They have 5 players with the name JR. at the end? So now we must rethink with wonder 'who really did shoot JR'? Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!

So if the last paragraph holds salt, then why is Houston the team with the Problem? Down here at 21st and Hillside, we feature the replaced Shocker Mountain with Mount Shaqmore. Landry Shamet who has a smoother than silk 3-point shot than a rock size cotton ball. Enter Markis (MM-plain or peanut) McDefendulikeacheapsuit-uffie, Rashard (double/double machine gun) Kelly, Austin (brings home the wheat/ sheaves) Reaves and Conner (MVC St. Lew MVP laser shooting) Frankamp, and that is just for starters. The Shocks made History today in "finer-than-frog-hair fashion" with a tough road win and will hold our fort with an 11 point surpass here as well. This game will be the one the Shocks erupt with a 3-point make clinic, but only after getting Willis, Kelly, Shaq, Nurger, and MM established inside. Shockers win by 11 as Brown and LS # 11 score 22 smackers apiece and Kelly and Shaq both double/double our viewing pleasure.

#42 Dave Stallworth-- 84

Cougars-----------------73
    Last edited by forevershockerfan; December 30, 2017, 06:03 PM.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Shocks by 9
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Houston can really shoot it from 3. Our perimeter defense will need to continue to improve or we could be in for a shootout.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

release the shaq'en..

Comment

Is it time to shake up the lineup? Reaves, Shamet, Frankamp, Kelly and Shaq? Reaves at point and Landry at the 3?

Comment

• shockem#78-65
            shockem#78-65 commented
            Editing a comment
            eh, I can see your point as LS has had a higher turnover rate the last few games, but Reaves is more a spot up shooter and gets his shots by off ball movement. If you were to move him to the point then I don't think he would get as many looks. As far as a pure ball handler goes, Conner should be at the point, but yet again, he is a spot up/ iso player; whereas Landry is so much quicker than the other two making it easier for him to create space and making the defense choose to either close out hard on him or go with the rolling big... with this being said I would still like to see Reaves start over Zach Brown (unpopular opinion I know), but ZB is more a 6 man who come off the bench to create a spark on defense.

Sooner than later I hope, MM will be full throttle. At that time, I could see him starting somewhere, and the 3 slot is possible. Last Season, it is well chronicled that not only did he lead us in steals, scoring, and rebounds, he also played som tenacious D. We have so many variables we can use for the oodles of matchups we will face. Most everybody does like to play match up zones against us so then we shall see Reaves, LS, and CF in there for the trifecta zone busting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Is it time to shake up the lineup? Reaves, Shamet, Frankamp, Kelly and Shaq? Reaves at point and Landry at the 3?
            Against certain lineups, that backcourt could be a liability defensively. That is not to say ZB has been on fire defensively this year, but that backcourt could be in trouble against taller lineups.

However, offensively that might be our best line-up ATM. At least until MM gets back into the swing of things.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Against certain lineups, that backcourt could be a liability defensively. That is not to say ZB has been on fire defensively this year, but that backcourt could be in trouble against taller lineups.

However, offensively that might be our best line-up ATM. At least until MM gets back into the swing of things.
              Not sure if the concern is taller lineups, since Reaves is only an inch shorter than ZB. However, it could be difficult for AR to guard a strong, well-built Small Forward.

You saw 3G doing some offense for defense substitutions down the stretch with ZB and AR, which I thought was effective.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
                Not sure if the concern is taller lineups, since Reaves is only an inch shorter than ZB. However, it could be difficult for AR to guard a strong, well-built Small Forward.

You saw 3G doing some offense for defense substitutions down the stretch with ZB and AR, which I thought was effective.
                I think ARs strength could be an issue as well as the lateral quickness of both him and CF on defense. But it is a lethal offensive lineup. Those two plus Shamet went 11-17 from deep today.

Comment

Houston comes in here now at 12-2 after defeating Temple 76-73 today. The players mentioned above was led by Brady with 21 pts, D. Davis with 12, and Rob Gray only had 8 which surprised me Amoni Brooks chipped in 14 points and he was not mentioned above. The Temple Owls are now 7-6.

Comment

Apparently Houston's starting center suffered a bad ankle sprain today and won't be playing for a while.
                    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

I still don't trust our perimeter D. Houston shoots a LOT better than UConn and Gray could light us up.

I expect this one to be close. Just hoping we pull it out in the end. Gotta protect home court if we are to contend for a title.
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Houston comes in here with a 4 game winning streak. When you go the AAC site under statistics, Houston is indeed a solid 3-point % shooting team (just barely above WSU) and actually was in the top 5 or 6 or better in most every solitary AAC team stat.

Comment

Worked in the first game so Shox by 1:D

Comment

The three guard line up is fine on the defensive end. You have to realize most teams don’t have a strong SF... they are playing with three guards as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X