Wichita State vs Oklahoma Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shaqness View Post

I have already said I agree with all of this. I just don't think Trae Young is Steph Curry, or that OU is a NC contender.
    If OU is not a NC title contender, and OU just took us behind the wood shed and beat us up like we're going out of style, what does that make us? A top 40, round of 32 type team at best?

Comment

• Everybody take a deep breath, its still December.
      Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Evidently some out here haven't heard of the NCAA's new rule. A team that has lost 2 games is not eligible to play in the Final 4. That's only been enacted recently, so it's not surprising that some posters haven't heard of that new rule.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• The Conner FG that Don Hall announced as a three was not, seating behind the table, after he made it the ref came over and told him it was a two. No correction was made which we thought was odd but not many people seemed to notice

Comment

• Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
            The Conner FG that Don Hall announced as a three was not, seating behind the table, after he made it the ref came over and told him it was a two. No correction was made which we thought was odd but not many people seemed to notice
            I noticed the score was off by 1 pt on my score app most of the game. Bizarre.

Comment

• I've been to all the other IBA games but I stayed home and watched on TV this time. In 20 years we may be watching a 30 for 30 type of video about Trae Young, Brady Manek, and the 2017-2018 Sooners. There will probably be plenty of highlights from this game in it.

This likely won't be the last game the Sooners play at Intrust this season unless they are slated to go to the Dallas regional site. I remember watching some of Steph Curry at Davidson. Trae Young is way ahead of Curry. I can't believe Young is just a Freshman. His control of the offense was virtually impeccable.

Why doesn't Shaq go on the low block and demand the ball every time down the floor? Standing on the perimeter setting screens throughout the clock is the last thing I want to see from him.

Props to DW for having a great game. Landry played well. I thought RN could have contributed more with his size advantage over Manek. MM hasn't played yet this season so there is nothing to be worried about. OU simply outplayed the Shox this time around.
              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• I’ve given DW a lot of flak but he is one of the few people on this team that when we’re down and he wants to score, he will score. Still a bit too 3 pt trigger happy, but he is a man that can’t be stopped when he wants to be.

Comment

• I picked the right game to lose self control with the beer. . Ive already forgotten about it.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I love the effort from our Shox tonight! Very sad we didn't win but I believe this will help us in the long run. If you guys review my posts you know I'm very passionate in my support. Live, in the arena I show the same passion. Usually I'm surrounded by crazy Shocker supporters showing the same kind of support. However, tonight my perception of Shocker support has changed. I cheered as hard as I could the first half and kept getting dirty looks from two younger and two older couples in front of me. At half they threatened to have me thrown out because I was an obnoxious and to loud of a fan. Topping it off, one of the younger geriatrics's hissed..."You don't know who you're effing with". What a wonderful effort on their part. BRAVO to this foursome. As a symbol of goodwill, I tried to pick up their tab. However, the deed and gesture was lost upon such low life. However, my family knows many IBA staffers and they assured us no action would be taken from us cheering on the Shockers. Sad experience all the way around tonight. The saddest was from dealing with other Shocker Fans.
                    When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

• Walker
                      Walker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s too bad because that’s the place to be rowdy. If I don’t come home hoarse, I don’t feel like I did my part as a fan. I never understood the type of fans that want to treat it like fine dining or hanging out in a library.

• The issue this OU team is gonna face is that they shoot a lot of threes. They’ll lose some games when those 3s aren’t falling. It all reverts back to the mean.

Comment

• Trae Young is the real deal... he deserves his props, but enough about him.
                      The first half was painful to watch, mostly due to being the worst half of defense a HCGM team has played since...well I'm thinking the first couple of years.
                      The recovery defense was pitiful. Mostly due to effort, which is even more concerning. But I digress...

Other than Shamet, Kelly and Willis, this team has not fully recognized they are no longer the hunter - they are the hunted. They now are the team every other team circles on their calendar and work harder for in each practice. It may be nice to be recognized, but champions understand the role and respond accordingly.

Shaq and his Freshman-like cruise control bullshit has been old since Day 1 and he still doesn't get what it means to step up and take control. By now, the light should have went on and not dimmed.

HCGM is fact becoming a recruit first, game coach second. His 'let them figure it out' and not call a time out is neanderthal type thinking and needs to be jettisoned ASAP. When they are blowing your ass off the court, call a fricking time out and regroup the troops!

Its still December, but this was statement game against a damn good team. They didn't pass the test.

That is all.
                      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Has there been a Shocker opponent this year that hasn't came out playing their BEST??? Man what a "target" we've become.

And as par for the course...I'm conceding that OU, Oklahoma St., Notre Dame, Baylor, Marquette, Florida Gulf Coast and the rest will have sub-par seasons.

Oh well...8-2 ain't too shabby with the competition we've played thus far. Gotta get these next 2 wins before heading on to Conference play.

GO SHOCKS!!!
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• CBB_Fan
                          CBB_Fan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          All of our okay opponents have come out playing their best because EVERY good team nowadays shoots 3s, and every good team gets quality shots against us. Only 41.4% of our opponents points from 2PT shots, which is good for #333 in the nation. It means we foul too much, and give up too many open 3s. It isn't our opponents, it isn't a target on our back, it's just poor coverage on shooters in an era where every good team can make open 3s.

• Have to watch the game on replay.

The pick n' roll is the most basic play of high level basketball. We can't guard it. Oklahoma could get a free three on a kickout every single possession if they wanted and we could only hope they missed. They didn't. Any decent team will do the same, which is why they all have. Our entire defense against 3s is to let teams shoot a bunch of great ones and hope our rotation and intensity tires them out in the second half. SDSU got great looks. Oklahoma State got great looks. Notre Dame got great looks. We are making teams look like title contenders because we can't guard a pick n' roll, which leads to a wide open 3 or an open shot at the bucket every time.

On offense, we don't seem to have a plan. We cannot consistently engage our best players. Shaq was playing like one of the best players in the nation to start the year and since then opponents adjusted to almost shut down his good looks. Landry had an All-American game against OSU and then was not able to get involved at all the very next game; at 11:01 left in the 1st he was responsible for 5 points and Trae Young for 22. Forget hitting a good percentage of open shots, other teams can consistently get the shots they want and we consistently can't.

At this point we have clear pressing issues that would prevent a run in March. There is plenty of time left to fix those issues, but we simply don't have a 3PT defense beyond exhaustion or an offensive gameplan that we can rely on. We have to start preventing 3s, and we have to be able to press our matchup advantages. This needs to come from coach. Frankly, it isn't just on the players and won't be fixed just by adding Markis back.

It is important to remember that this isn't about dropping a game in December. That will happen. Everything this year is about building a team that can win 6 starting in March. I'm not concerned with the loss, but I am a little concerned about the lack of improvement on issues like our 3PT defense.
                        Last edited by CBB_Fan; December 16, 2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• Young was as advertised. OU is a good team that will lose some games they shouldn't.
                          Shouldn't have let Manek do that to us.
                          Who heard more harsh words from Gregg, the refs, Rauno or his assistants in the first half?
                          We've allowed significant runs to Cal, ND, SDSU and OU. That needs to be addressed.
                          Shaq started the season like he wanted to make his senior year special. Not so much lately. Color me disappointed.
                          Nice hustle by Asbjorn to get between Gregg and the ref with the flat top. Thought we were going Canadian for a moment.
                          Disappointing but we were never going to win them all.
                          Last edited by wusphlash; December 16, 2017, 10:50 PM.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• We rank 242 in points per game given up from 3 pointers. At some point, it’s not just that “everybody” gets hot against us.

Comment

Working...
                            X