Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about the "war chant"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    To me, the timing is the biggest issue with it. Play it after the last timeout in a blowout, not when there is 1/4th of a game to go and we’re still behind to a Summit League school who’s owned us most of the game.

Had a real “WTF are they thinking!?” internal narrative when they trotted it out on Tuesday.

This all might get into the fact that the athletic department has well-effed what was once a fantastic band - one that had won the battle of the bands at the F4. It was a stark contrast last Saturday night between what the WSU band has become, and the fairly kick arse (but annoying) MU band. And that was for a volleyball match.
    I agree that the timing is bad. It makes me wonder if the band just doesn't get it or ifs not ever under their control. For all we know the same athletic dept yahoos that run the in game promotions might also dictate what the band plays and when.

I think the war chant has run its course, its the sort of thing that needs crowd participation to work well and that participation just isn't there. I'd love to see something done with MTXE that involves the student section.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

As far as the War Chant, I'm OK with it just as long as the athletic department and leaders of the band know the right times to use it. If they cannot figure this out, scrap it. It is not a rallying cry. We have other things for that.

Some of this is probably on us, the most ardent fans. Letters, signatures, whatever, to the athletic department, to the paper, TV, voicing it on the radio might open up their eyes and give them a nudge in the right direction.

Also on us, those at the games anyway, is to not get quite during a timeout when the game when the game is on the line and the crowd is pumped up. This, too, can be voiced to the athletic department that we as fans value the importance of rallying the team on to victory over some funky promo. They need to be smart with this. Advertisers should understand this. Frankly, I would make a point of not supporting any business that would rather be a "rally killer". Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I love the war chant. I hate when they play it.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

They are absolutely killing it. The arena was easily the loudest it had been all night when the dumbass promotion **** kicked in there in the 2nd half. Absolutely appalling. But do they give a ****? Nope. It's all about the money. All about the money. All about the money. **** the actual game and fans.

So pathetic.
          It would be better if they had an Mc hosting the game and engaging the crowd (like the dude for the MVC) or if they had a announcer that tried to get the crowd engaged, rather than unenthusiastically saying stuff like “go, go, go make a basket”.

i wish they would let Ted announce one of the games. I think he does a fantastic job with volleyball.
          The Assman

Comment

I’ve also heard that at KU, in big and close games, they pull promotions when needed.

Maybe work into the contracts: if they need to pull a promotion for the sake of the crowd or team, they will and the sponsor will be reimbursed for that game.

I would guess most sponsors would say “yes”, as they want the team to do well, because that is good for Wichita and their business.
            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
              I’ve also heard that at KU, in big and close games, they pull promotions when needed.

Maybe work into the contracts: if they need to pull a promotion for the sake of the crowd or team, they will and the sponsor will be reimbursed for that game.

I would guess most sponsors would say “yes”, as they want the team to do well, because that is good for Wichita and their business.
              Even just removing one promotion slot would make a HUGE difference. They even have promotions during team timeouts. I don’t quite understand how those work. I’m not sure if they cram extra promotions into the media timeouts if there aren’t enough team timeouts or if the team timeout promotions just get scrapped entirely.

Comment

This thread timeout is brought to you by Schlitz.

Schlitz. The beer that gave Milwaukee the schitz.

Please stay tuned and your regular thread programming will continue in 30 seconds.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Please stay tuned and your regular thread programming will continue in 30 seconds.
                  They could have a beer bong race, or a game of “Flip Cup”. That would get the crowd going.
                  The Assman

Comment

• shockrah
                    shockrah commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beer Pong Race Sponsored By WuShock Wheat!
                    (and you thought orchards were angry)
                    Last edited by shockrah; December 9, 2017, 12:37 AM.

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

The first time I read your post I thought you were referring to the greatest of all beer promotions:
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I understand, even if I don't like, commercials during the scheduled media timeouts. A coach called timeout, however, should NEVER have any commercials or promos. Just play either recorded music if it is 30 second TO or the band if it is a full TO.

Oh, and as I understand, the slot at which the war tune is played is scheduled, not spontaneous. Stupid, but apparently that is part of "sports management" nowadays.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Oh, and as I understand, the slot at which the war tune is played is scheduled, not spontaneous. Stupid, but apparently that is part of "sports management" nowadays.
                      Heavens!!! We wouldn't want spontaneity at a college basketball game. :stupid:

Comment

Personally, I think they need to come up with something besides "Watch Us" for videos, etc.... I have always thought it was bad

Comment

Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
                          Personally, I think they need to come up with something besides "Watch Us" for videos, etc.... I have always thought it was bad
                          #WatchUs is genius and I believe even won a marketing award.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                            If the band is that badly henpecked by the athletic department then it sadly might be time just scrap it all together. I mean there is already a clear and total disconnect between the band and whomever runs the recorded music....

“You go.”

“No, why don’t you go ahead and go.”

“No I insist.”

“Really... I think you should go.”

“Okay if you insist... wait, but is it our turn?”

“Oh hell I don’t know... let me throw some badass Top 40 music from 1986 on the PA system while we figure this out.”

”Make sure it’s not too loud... “
                            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; December 7, 2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

If I could get rid of one thing at the games it's "You still suck" from the student section. #notfunny

Comment

Working...
                              X