Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about the "war chant"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about the "war chant"?

I didn't think we had enough polls going right now so here you go.

I personally dislike it for a few reasons. First I've never been comfortable with associating a basketball game to a war. I had shipmates and family members that actually did go to war and its nothing like a game. Secondly the band outright stole the idea from VCU, how about coming up with something original. Third, its just plain bad luck, anecdotal evidence suggests that our opponents frequently go on rallies shortly after the "war chant" is played.

How do you all feel?
    Love It!
    24.05%
    Its alright I guess.
    24.05%
    I don't care.
    16.46%
    I'm not really a fan.
    21.52%
    I hate the stupid thing!
    13.92%
    Last edited by WheatShock; December 7, 2017, 04:49 PM.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

I like it.

First counterpoint: I don’t think that’s the intended meaning of the song.

Second counterpoint: VCU stole it from someone else and “go to war with the Ra-ams” sounds stupid as hell anyways.

Third counterpoint: a lot of players over the years have fed off Koch Arena’s energy instead of being impeded by it. That doesn’t mean we should tone it down.

Comment

In my mind both the "war chant" and "play angry" have run their course. However, I'm not going to lose any sleep if a significant portion of Shocker Nation wants to keep them going.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I have some reservations because of the "war" reference, but I have posted several times, the band does it poorly. It's a victory chant. Not at the under 12, under 8 etc. Game over. Period. The band could play the intro, but that's enough.
        Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

I don't like it for the simple fact it was stolen from VCU with zero creativity. Kinda like we stole the term Havoc from them for our new series with Tulsa. The folks in charge need to come up with some original stuff.

Comment

• Shock Top
            Shock Top commented
            Editing a comment
            and VCU got the idea from a historically-black college (if memory serves correct).

As far as the havoc thing, I don't know about that. I do know i have seen other schools do the "play angry" mantra (UofM). Good ideas get replicated.

You don’t want to go to WAR, with the REBIRTH.

Comment

"War chant" is a figure of speech. Obviously, they aren't storming the beaches of Normandy. I don't see it as making light of warfare or those who dedicate(d) their lives to it.

Also, if Play Angry, or the war chant (same would have to go for MTXE) have run their course, what do you suggest comes next? Nothing wrong with traditions, even if they are relatively new. I doubt you'll get Tennessee to quit singing "Rocky Top" anytime soon.
            The Assman

Comment

This is really an issue that all of you most faithful and loyal fans in Wichita must decide..

For what my two cents as a most loyal fan, but living nearly 1,500 miles away, are worth - Tradition is very big in my book. And if the majority of you feel they fit the Shocker tradition mode, then by all means stick with and support, the War Chant, Play Angry, and MTXE, individually, or all together. If not, then hopefully someone will come up with something more modern and fitting to this 21st century.

Comment

To me, the timing is the biggest issue with it. Play it after the last timeout in a blowout, not when there is 1/4th of a game to go and we’re still behind to a Summit League school who’s owned us most of the game.

Had a real “WTF are they thinking!?” internal narrative when they trotted it out on Tuesday.

This all might get into the fact that the athletic department has well-effed what was once a fantastic band - one that had won the battle of the bands at the F4. It was a stark contrast last Saturday night between what the WSU band has become, and the fairly kick arse (but annoying) MU band. And that was for a volleyball match.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The same thing happens at itmes with the We're Going to Beat the Hell out of You, You, You, You, You!

As others have said, the War Chant should only be played when the game is in hand. The band needs to be smarter about this.

Other random thoughts:
                • I don't think "Play Angry" should ever run its course. I love it, I hope it never goes away.
                • I think taking the "war" part of "War Chant" literally is a little over the top. It's an analogy, not a literal comparison. Sheesh.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  To me, the timing is the biggest issue with it. Play it after the last timeout in a blowout, not when there is 1/4th of a game to go and we’re still behind to a Summit League school who’s owned us most of the game.

Had a real “WTF are they thinking!?” internal narrative when they trotted it out on Tuesday.

This all might get into the fact that the athletic department has well-effed what was once a fantastic band - one that had won the battle of the bands at the F4. It was a stark contrast last Saturday night between what the WSU band has become, and the fairly kick arse (but annoying) MU band. And that was for a volleyball match.
                  Since you cracked the door open....the endless promotions are going to cost us a game eventually. Maybe not this year, but I guarantee it will happen at some point. Killing the crowd in the middle of 3 different runs borders on rage inducing. You can put some of the blame on the crowd but there is a super easy fix that doesn’t require the crowd to do anything.

I don’t know exactly how much a media timeout promotion spot is during the game but it better be at least 10x what I would guesstimate to even make it close to worth it.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
                    Downtown Shocker Brown commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can come up with 3.3 million reasons those promotions are important. Agree that it sucks. Would love if they came up with some crowd engaging promotions.

• AndShock
                    AndShock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If promotions generate 3.3 million dollars then I completely understand and I’ll shut up. If they’re in the tens of thousands I’ll shut up. I have a hard time believing Dunkin’ Donuts is paying $5000 to have 3 kids dunk it on a Fisher-Price basketball goal. Maybe they are and I’m just out of touch with the cost of advertising.

I don’t hate the war chant, I just think we could come up with something more original and better. We should be owning and utilizing MTXE and Play Angry in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post

Since you cracked the door open....the endless promotions are going to cost us a game eventually. Maybe not this year, but I guarantee it will happen at some point. Killing the crowd in the middle of 3 different runs borders on rage inducing. You can put some of the blame on the crowd but there is a super easy fix that doesn’t require the crowd to do anything.

I don’t know exactly how much a media timeout promotion spot is during the game but it better be at least 10x what I would guesstimate to even make it close to worth it.
                    They are absolutely killing it. The arena was easily the loudest it had been all night when the dumbass promotion **** kicked in there in the 2nd half. Absolutely appalling. But do they give a ****? Nope. It's all about the money. All about the money. All about the money. **** the actual game and fans.

So pathetic.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                      I don't like it for the simple fact it was stolen from VCU with zero creativity. Kinda like we stole the term Havoc from them for our new series with Tulsa. The folks in charge need to come up with some original stuff.
                      So is the word "havoc" patented by VCU or something?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

MTXE and Play Angry are Shocker basketball. Neither are "borrowed", but our own. HCGM still embraces MTXE and, besides sticking around for his senior year when most would not have in his shoes, AC gave WSU basketball another gift with Play Angry. They are our history and they should both be part of our future. They are what it means to play Shocker basketball for all those players yet to come.

Comment

Working...
                        X