Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allowing 14 made three pointers and while shooting nearly 50% from there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowing 14 made three pointers and while shooting nearly 50% from there...

Should the shockers have switched to a zone defense last night to try and slow down the Jackrabbits? quick poll on what y'all think... Mike Daum hit 7 three's himself and if you were watching closely only one of his 12 attempts came from the corner and it was his most wide open shot of the night. Thoughts?
    Shockers should have ran a 3-2 zone
    8.33%
    Shockers should have ran a box and one, face up no help defense on Daum
    5.56%
    They did the right thing staying in man to man
    86.11%
    Success is where preparation and opportunity meet

Well, i think they should have been in man and switched screens all night long.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Uhhh... You are aware that switching to a zone is about denying the inside and therefore conceding more shots around the perimeter right? There is a reason it's called "shooting a team out of the zone."

Comment

• shockem#78-65
        shockem#78-65 commented
        Editing a comment
        I should have elaborated, extended 3-2 bringing the wings out forcing Daum into the corner and possibly running a trap when he got there.

• ShockCrazy
        ShockCrazy commented
        Editing a comment
        3-2 zone defense is not a viable defense at a high level of play. A mediocre passing and cutting team will rip it to shreds because of the gaps it leaves in the paint. There's a reason you don't see it very often, it depends on incredibly skilled and knowledgeable backside help in order to make up for it's short comings. Waaaay too risky given Marshall probably rarely practices any zone and almost certainly never touches 3-2 or 1-2-2.

Coach said in the pit fame, the made the decision to switch on screens versus going through it at halftime. Right call and the right time to make it.
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I believe our coaches know more about this stuff than I do.

Comment

• shockem#78-65
          shockem#78-65 commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess there is a reason Gregg is getting $3 million to make those decisions and we are talking about it as an anonymous hobby. lol!

We are a man to man team. Keeping the pressure on SDSU and wearing out their legs was the right thing to do. Sometimes you just have to give a nod to a player or team that gets red hot. Fortunately their legs, and thus their shots, left them. Gregg sprinkles in a little zone now and then just to throw the opponent a curve. He is not, thankfully, Jim Boeheim.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Marshall's patented matchup zone!

• Downtown Shocker Brown
          Downtown Shocker Brown commented
          Editing a comment
          We need someone to teach Coach Marshall the Picket Fence.

• wusphlash
          wusphlash commented
          Editing a comment
          You think our boys got caught watching the paint dry?

What kind of defense did Missouri State use against them to hold them to 3-24 from 3?

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
          What kind of defense did Missouri State use against them to hold them to 3-24 from 3?
          They used a 2-3, where 2 is the ratio of good shooting nights and 3 is the ratio of bad shooting nights a "live and die by the 3" team will have. The Bears got the 3 part of the equation.

The only other explanation would be that Paul Lusk game plans better than Marshall, and that concept makes heads explode just trying to imagine it.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

SDSU will do well in the Valley.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

You forgot the option for "I know more than our $3.4M coach and his staff, listen to me".

How many hours of scouting did any of us do on SDSU? I Marshall We Trust.

Troll
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• Shaqness
                Shaqness commented
                Editing a comment
                Luckily, we don't have to be basketball experts when we say "HCGM says so". The poster probably didn't know that switching on ball screens would have helped. Neither did anyone until Gregg said it.

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Not that I was sure it would help, but I said that very thing last night in the 1st half and I'm far from a basketball guru. So, I'm sure there are those on this board that saw the same thing. By the way MM would have birddogged Daum had he been available.

• Shaqness
                Shaqness commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, I'll clarify. The announcers mentioned it over and over. So, in that regard, everyone knew it. I kinda wonder why we waited until halftime to make the switch.

But I will add what Taylor Eldridge said, too. We also used a diamond press that was really effective.

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
              You forgot the option for "I know more than our $3.4M coach and his staff, listen to me".

Troll
              That doesn’t mean they don’t have weaknesses. I don’t think teaching defense is something we can say we’re better than Marshall at but acting like coaches can do no wrong is a fool’s errand.

Comment

I'm sure the press and speeding up SDSU was what really screwed with their shooting in the end. Tired legs, being sped up, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
                  I'm sure the press and speeding up SDSU was what really screwed with their shooting in the end. Tired legs, being sped up, etc
                  Agree. Even when they "beat" the press, they were in such a hurry to take advantage, their shot selection sucked -- all to the Shockers' advantage.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post

Troll
                    This is almost as bad a take as "not wanting to look ahead as fans".

It's a fan message board for goodness sakes. it's fun to have these conversations and debate basketball strategy. Though in this case, I think the answer was pretty straight forward.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I think the poll question should be.."Would you like to have Mike Daum on your team?"

1. Yes

2. Hell Yes!

3. Your Daum right I would.

Comment

Working...
                      X