No names on uni's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

OK. Sometimes, I'm just dense. But just how is a "Shocker" jersey without a player name more salable? Just what kind of teams named Shockers will buy them for more than they could get at a fan auction? Please egdamacate.
    They can't sell a jersey with a players name on it if that player is still in school which is why they only sell off the seniors jerseys at the end of the year. I'm sure they'll all be sold to fans but they would have to wait to sell Reaves' for example if his name was on it.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
      They can't sell a jersey with a players name on it if that player is still in school which is why they only sell off the seniors jerseys at the end of the year. I'm sure they'll all be sold to fans but they would have to wait to sell Reaves' for example if his name was on it.
      OK. Soooo, you'd be more likely to buy it now without Reaves' name on it or pay more for it later with his name. Surely we're not in that tight a squeeze that we need to move them now rather than later for more. I guess one could have him sign it later and it may be considered a rarity as the oddball jersey.

Comment

NM
        Last edited by OregonShocker; January 3, 2018, 12:03 AM. Reason: NM

Comment

Well, ST, as some of the earlier posters noted, it doesn't appear to be financial at all -- rather, more a motivational / mindset sort of decision by the coaches (i.e., Marshall). So try not to overcomplicate things -- and remember the success of those "nameless" UConn women. Personally, I don't even need a 100-game winning streak from the Shocks; I'd settle for one championship and let the chips fall where they may after that.

Comment

Don't remind us about the UA switch. I better buy a new jersey before the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
              Well, ST, as some of the earlier posters noted, it doesn't appear to be financial at all -- rather, more a motivational / mindset sort of decision by the coaches (i.e., Marshall). So try not to overcomplicate things -- and remember the success of those "nameless" UConn women. Personally, I don't even need a 100-game winning streak from the Shocks; I'd settle for one championship and let the chips fall where they may after that.
              This was actually what I was driving at. The "stated" reason was weak, very weak IMO.
              If someone decided to pinch pennies, just say so.
              Admittedly, I don't know the costs involved, but it looks like a "cheap" decision for a Top 10 team who has been highly relevant for a number of years now.

If it was HCGM's decision, just say so. If somebody flubbed, I'm not happy, but I'm OK with it.

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                This is a basketball jersey. In it, you will see a basketball god. Please ignore the children in blue. Thank you.
                FIFY.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Maybe they will add them for the dance?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Thought it was a NCAA rule that they can't sell jerseys with players names on the back? That's probably the reason. Nothing to do with cost.

Unless I am mistaken
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I think people aren't understanding. The premise is that without the names all jerseys can be sold after the season because they WILL NOT be reused next year since we have a new supplier. If there were names on jerseys we would have to hold onto jerseys of non-graduating players in order to auction or sell them off(also I wonder if UA would also prevent us from selling them at a later date, I doubt they want us trying to sell/auction Nike gear once the contract is up). Seems the AD just wants to be done with that apparel once the season is over and I don't blame them. Also regarding finances, I am sure budget is tight in the athletic department right now. We are paying 2mil plus to join the American, giving up pretty much all conference related revenue. Things will be tight until the new TV deal and tourney credits start rolling in.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

OK. Soooo, you'd be more likely to buy it now without Reaves' name on it or pay more for it later with his name. Surely we're not in that tight a squeeze that we need to move them now rather than later for more. I guess one could have him sign it later and it may be considered a rarity as the oddball jersey.
                        We're switching uni providers next year. Not having the names on them gives the department the ability to auction off all unis at the end of the season. Otherwise, with names, we'd have to wait until that player graduates or otherwise leaves the program.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

We're switching uni providers next year. Not having the names on them gives the department the ability to auction off all unis at the end of the season. Otherwise, with names, we'd have to wait until that player graduates or otherwise leaves the program.
                          Yes, I understand that. Nearly half (6) of the schollie players will graduate with the possibility of 1 or 2 going pro and possibility of someone not coming back. Let's just say that the "no name" jerseys idea was done because of 6-7 players still here, not 13, not 11, but no more than 7 max. Take off 2-3 more the next year.

I could understand this move more if we were only losing 2-3 players. For me, I'd rather have a jersey with the player's name on it. Even if this rarity jersey might be worth more, I'm not selling it, so that doesn't matter.

Coaches' decision as a reason would have held a lot more water with me. That might have even made them more valuable.

Comment

Working...
                          X