No names on uni's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No names on uni's?

I suppose this has been discussed but I searched and couldn't find it. Just wondered why the players' names aren't on the jerseys this year? Coach's decision? Players? Other? Thanks...
    "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Mike has mentioned that on pregame shows. The only explanation that he has been given is that it was a coaching staff decision.

I wonder if it has anything to do with switching to Under Armour next year, thus not needing to make the extra expense of adding names to jerseys that will only be used for one year. My other idea is that by keeping the name off, it gives them more ability to sell jerseys later.

No idea...just guessing here.
    78-65

Comment

Or it may be 3G's way of communicating that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey.

Who knows maybe the Shocker seniors wanted to do it that way for this reason.

Comment

They look better without them imo

Comment

Could be worse. Could be like the Shocker women's unis with the names on the back but near the waist line. I guess this is so pony tails and longer hair does't obscure the name. But some of them you can't seen the name any way beause it is tucked into their shorts or folded over. Especially the shorter players like 5-2 Aundra Stovall.

Personally, I haven't missed the names at all. Either way is fine with me.

Comment

• jdmee
            jdmee commented
            Editing a comment
            They need this for the Volleyball team.

"No honey I was just trying to read the name on the uniform."

I like names on jerseys of other teams, as I watch a lot of basketball and like to learn the players. I assume there are some people out there that might benefit from such things with WSU uniforms.

But I also really don't care, and really like these types of worthless between-game threads compared to the ones a week ago!

Comment

When I played basketball at Horace Mann we got North High hand-me-downs. Glad there were no names. They were so big that the jerseys looked like suspenders as the top crumbles around the waist. When a foul was called, the ref had to come over and pull the top of the jersey up to expose the number

Comment

iirc, 3g mentioned at the coaches club dinner that it was a coaching decision. shaq definitely seemed unsuccessfully to want his name on the back

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Or it may be 3G's way of communicating that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey.

Who knows maybe the Shocker seniors wanted to do it that way for this reason.
                The UCONN WBB team has never had names on the back of their jerseys for this very reason.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hard to criticize the motivational psychology practiced by Auriemma too much.

Has any player ever seen their name on the back of their jersey and thought, "Well, since my name's on the back of my jersey, guess I'm gonna be hunting my shot and not be a good teammate today"?

In all seriousness, I think they actually look sharper without the name on the back given the font of the numbers and letters. I'm just glad we got rid of the white home jerseys from last season. Those sucked.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I like the yellow Nike uniforms we have this year.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                    Has any player ever seen their name on the back of their jersey and thought, "Well, since my name's on the back of my jersey, guess I'm gonna be hunting my shot and not be a good teammate today"?
                    Once put on your uni you generally don't see your name, although soem think that FVV did have eyes in the back of his head.

The players you're thinking of see the other players names on the back of their unis and think "I'm getting mine before that sumbitch gets his".

Comment

This is a basketball jersey. In it, you will see a basketball player. Please ignore the children in blue. Thank you.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• ShockerDropOut
                        ShockerDropOut commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No need for a name on that jersey!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                        OK. Sometimes, I'm just dense. But just how is a "Shocker" jersey without a player name more salable? Just what kind of teams named Shockers will buy them for more than they could get at a fan auction? Please egdamacate.

Comment

Working...
                        X