injury update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
    A couple weeks ago I asked myself why not medical red-shirt McDuff? I hesitated to say anything out loud here on SN...but yeah stress fractures suck. It would absolutely give us another fantastic player this year (if he's 100% healthy)...but I wonder if the coaches and/or Markis have considered it? He obviously has a future as a pro player post Wichita St.

Is a reoccurence to the injury too high risk for his future? Or is a potential Final Four/National Championship run more important to him? Hard question in my mind if I were in his shoes. But I ain't 20 years old....
    Without MM we have the ability to beat Villanova, Michigan State, etc.

With MM we will beat Villanova, Michigan State, etc.

That's why you don't redshirt him. We are going to need him in April.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

The season is long but I'm beginning to feel like AM should have taken a red colored shirt.
      AM is playing this year, because we'll need him next year. Coach has talked about this a couple times. With all our bigs graduating, he didn't want to be in a position where none of his bigs have played a minute of D1 ball. AM will get his minutes in a big way next year, and every scrap he gets this year will pay dividends. He's gonna have to be the one teaching the newcomer bigs what it means to play D1 ball, and he can't do that from a redshirt.

Comment

we are gonna be so freakin' young next year

Comment

• BOBB
          BOBB commented
          Editing a comment
          I look at next year as a Murry, Stutz, Kyles group on steroids. They were next level players from what we had seen. These new guys are next level players from what we are seeing.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Since 2012, our worst KenPom finish is 17 (which was the Final Four year). If we can finish 17 or better next year, the future looks extremely bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          If and I know its a big if, LS and MM come back I think we'll be in decent shape.

LS, MM, AR, & SHJ make for a strong core to build around plus you have CJK, RB, & AM all with a minimum of a year of practice against some high level competition. In that scenario at least we aren't counting on true freshmen as much.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
            If and I know its a big if, LS and MM come back I think we'll be in decent shape.

LS, MM, AR, & SHJ make for a strong core to build around plus you have CJK, RB, & AM all with a minimum of a year of practice against some high level competition. In that scenario at least we aren't counting on true freshmen as much.
            To bring it back to McDuffie, unless he just blows up this year I think the injury almost guarantees he's back next year. Unless Shamet is reinjured (God Forbid) or just falls off the planet (unlikely) I think he punches his ticket. Pure conjecture on both parts.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

To bring it back to McDuffie, unless he just blows up this year I think the injury almost guarantees he's back next year. Unless Shamet is reinjured (God Forbid) or just falls off the planet (unlikely) I think he punches his ticket. Pure conjecture on both parts.
              I don't question at all that Shamet should be projected to be drafted this year. I do question the assumption most have made that he will leave early for sure if he is projected as a high draft pick. I also agree that MM will probably be back.

We don't know what his thought process will be, finishing his degree may be important enough to him to stay one more year. I won't blame him if he does leave early but some are acting like he has one foot out the door already.
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• BOBB
                BOBB commented
                Editing a comment
                If he is a guaranteed first rounder he should certainly go. If he took any finance at WSU anyway.

Assume MM is healthy enough to return against FGC, we have a great opportunity to ease him back. It would have been great to have him for the Big 12 series, but we shouldn't need 20+ minutes from him for UConn, Houston, USF, ECU and Tulsa (our first five conference games). Get him limited minutes in those games to work on getting him in game shape and we'll be fine.

Comment

Anyone who thinks Landry Shamet isn't our best player is wrong. He plays the most important position in college basketball, at an NBA level. I like McDuffie, but he isn't as important to WSU's success, and isn't as good a shooter. That makes Landry the better asset now, and the better asset going into the NBA. As it stands right now, there is an "If" attached to McDuffie. There is no "if" involved in Shamet, he's getting his name called.

Speaking of wrong. Anyone who is even thinking about Mitgaard as an NBA prospect needs to pump the brakes. As it stands today, Bush Tom is a better player, and he didn't go anywhere. I'm not trying to take the excitement out of him, but let's pump the brakes.

Comment

• ArtVandalay
                  ArtVandalay commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not sure that anyone is saying he's (mitgard) NBA talent. The NBA has moved away from traditional big men and that's what he is. The point was that he's 20 and European. There's not a big reason he'd take a redshirt to be here until he's 25 when he could likely return home (to Europe) and play professionally there.
                  Last edited by ArtVandalay; December 13, 2017, 06:02 PM.

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

I agree that McDuffie is likely back next season. He's not on ANY 2 round draft projections that I've seen. What's the point of leaving early to be an undrafted free agent? I don't really see him as an NBA prospect. He's usually struggled against big time, athletic teams. OU and Kentucky come to mind from last year. If he plays great the rest of this season that would obviously change things. He'll have a lot of opportunities to show on big stages the rest of the year. As for Shamet, I don't see any way he comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaqness View Post
                  Anyone who thinks Landry Shamet isn't our best player is wrong. He plays the most important position in college basketball, at an NBA level. I like McDuffie, but he isn't as important to WSU's success, and isn't as good a shooter. That makes Landry the better asset now, and the better asset going into the NBA. As it stands right now, there is an "If" attached to McDuffie. There is no "if" involved in Shamet, he's getting his name called.

Speaking of wrong. Anyone who is even thinking about Mitgaard as an NBA prospect needs to pump the brakes. As it stands today, Bush Tom is a better player, and he didn't go anywhere. I'm not trying to take the excitement out of him, but let's pump the brakes.
                  You stated a Trojan horse. Name one person who has said that McDuffie is better than Landry. He was one of our best two players last year. He will be one of our nest players again. He rebounds, scores (on the perimeter, inside, and in transition), blocks shots, plays defense, and passes as good as any other player we have. He is as versatile as anyone. I'm glad we've been as good as we have without him during his injury but, don't sell him short. He is very good and will make us better.

Comment

• shock
                    shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey, go easy on him. His school sucks this year.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  Don't sell him short. He is very good and will make us better.
                  No way. He's a baller, and we will be better for it for sure. My post was just to point out Shamet's our guy.

Comment

Shamet very well could be a lottery pick. If he’s projected that high, anyone is crazy to think he’s coming back. His offensive efficiency is off the charts. He has youth, athletism and size coveted by the NBA. He’s gone after this year, IMO.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                      WSUwatcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For what it's worth, Reid Forgrave, one of the CBS Sports online pundits who did a story recently on his top 50 NBA prospects, had Shamet ranked 45th. Not exactly lottery territory, although there's still plenty of time in the season. Of course, Forgrave also has Jerry Palm as a colleague...

Being a player the NBA covets does not necessarily make you the most important player to your team winning college basketball games.

Pretty sure we've been over this ad nauseum the past few years.

Comment

• Heinro
                      Heinro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1

Now I still think Landry is our most important player, but everyone serves a purpose. I can't wait to get Markis back, and he will be instrumental for us to be national championship contenders.

• Downtown Shocker Brown
                      Downtown Shocker Brown commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Marvin Williams, per se?

McDuffie in uniform, warming up with team tonight. Not sure if he will play, but it is a good sign!

Comment

Working...
                    X