No announcement yet.

Official Wichita State vs Savannah State Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible coincidence that CJ would be able to play last night, where/when we absolutely needed him.

Comment

I do not want to see Savannah State back in Wichita again. Between 3 players getting knocked off the court and frankly terrible basketball they were worthless from every standpoint. Playing against them might actively make us a worse basketball team, let alone what it does to our RPI. The last thing we need is to lose players to injuries, and the second to last is to get comfortable turning the ball over to a playground team and jacking up 3s against the zone.

I'm not saying Savannah State played dirty. I think they played fast, out of control, and bad. Throwing bodies around and shooting 3s seconds into the shot clock is not a recipe for winning games, and eventually will lead to people getting hurt. I don't think we lose anyone playing a real game of college basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
        I do not want to see Savannah State back in Wichita again. Between 3 players getting knocked off the court and frankly terrible basketball they were worthless from every standpoint. Playing against them might actively make us a worse basketball team, let alone what it does to our RPI. The last thing we need is to lose players to injuries, and the second to last is to get comfortable turning the ball over to a playground team and jacking up 3s against the zone.

I'm not saying Savannah State played dirty. I think they played fast, out of control, and bad. Throwing bodies around and shooting 3s seconds into the shot clock is not a recipe for winning games, and eventually will lead to people getting hurt. I don't think we lose anyone playing a real game of college basketball.
        The only way we'll see them again is in an exhibition. They're dropping down to D2 next year.
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          Incredible coincidence that CJ would be able to play last night, where/when we absolutely needed him.
          I hope you're not trying to read too much into this. Keyser was also available for the ND game, in a non-coincidental kind of way.

Comment

Regarding the game, I also agree that I'd rather not play this team again due to they style of play. However, I think there was a little positive to take away. We did work the zone much better in the 2nd half. Passing into the interior was much better and we did a good job of attacking/passing from the corner (especially Conner). Maybe it was partly due to the opponent, but it seems we were able to make some adjustments at the half and actually move the ball like we should. Lastly, part of beating a zone is shooting/making 3 point shots, so get used to it, we'll see more of that against Baylor. I think both Conner and Samaje did a pretty good job of using their shooting ability to get their man off balance and then get into the interior to make something happen. I thought Landry was pretty ineffective when he was in the game, not sure what it is, but he's not great against the zone defense. My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              He was also available against Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                That game did zero to prepare us for Baylor, or for anybody going forward
                I agree. Probably did more harm than good especially considering the injuries sustained. We played well in spurts but we also played poorly at times. These injuries have been a reall issue not only at game time but having in continuity at practices has had to be next to impossible. Austin, Landry, and Markis all missing substantial practice time. Add to that Samajae not being able to participate with the team during the summer.

Perhaps the highlight of last night outside of Samajae's play was Kaelen, Brycen and Jacob all scored. All for the 1st time this year and bor Brycen and Jacob for the 1st time as Shockers.

Got my fingers crossed for Landry and Zach. Hopefully Conner doesn't end up with a hematoma in his thigh like Shaq did last year. And we are providing way too much business to the Shocker team dentist.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I hope you're not trying to read too much into this. Keyser was also available for the ND game, in a non-coincidental kind of way.
                  Not to mention that when he was unavailable, he was wearing street clothes, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

Not to mention that when he was unavailable, he was wearing street clothes, right?
                    That's correct.

I don't claim to know anything about anything. But I think it wasn't a giant leap that someone was insinuating that Keyser was magically available when needed, as if cutting corners on discipline. That doesn't match up with what actually happened in this case.

Comment

• WSU's KenPom rating went from +25.50 to +25.60 after last night's win. Taking a 20-something pt lead with 10 minutes to go up to a 46 pt win was good. Turning blowouts into huge blowouts doesn't affect RPI, but it is a major piece in establishing the best KenPom rating possible.

Comment

• This game proved Jones is a great D2 basketball player. He would be a great player for Savannah State. It's really just unfathomable that he continues to play the same way. Has he made a simple post-entry pass to a big man once at WSU? Still got a long way to go.

Comment

• I just dont like any of these new posters who’ve joined so far in 2017. 31 points against a d1 school and he’s not that good? Lets finish the non con schedule 1st at least before we start discussing players ceilings.
                          Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqness View Post
                            This game proved Jones is a great D2 basketball player. He would be a great player for Savannah State. It's really just unfathomable that he continues to play the same way. Has he made a simple post-entry pass to a big man once at WSU? Still got a long way to go.
                            On notice.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                              I just dont like any of these new posters who’ve joined so far in 2017. 31 points against a d1 school and he’s not that good? Lets finish the non con schedule 1st at least before we start discussing players ceilings.
                              You can tell who the trolls are. The person you quoted is also the one throwing around rumors about CJ with zero evidence to back it up.

Comment

• I am a huge supporter of music, but when will Shocker sound figure out no one wants to hear or sing along to "War" at the under 12 time out. The fans in Maui got it right. That's a victory chant. Sorry for the "GET OFF MY LAWN!" but geeze!
                                Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Working...
                                X