Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 Shockers Greatest Comebacks Poll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    If you didn't have the Iowa come back you never get 66-65.
    I agree with this. 25-40 against a really good Iowa team. Huge.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

11-0 then 25-11 then 43-20. AT HOME. Time out Mark Turgeon. Mark challenges the player's manhood. Mark's head starts bobbing around like a crazy man. The crowd supports his ass chewing.

Shocks close the last 3 minutes on a 13-4 run, ending with a Matt Clark corner 3 and Koch Arena ERUPTS. DOWN 47-34 at half. EASILY one of the 10 loudest moments in Koch Arena history.

At 16:48 of the 2nd half, Jamar blocked a shot, Randy Burns stuck a 3 and it was 49-47 Wichita State. Virgins were being sacrificed in the aisles. Ears could no longer bleed.

In championship fashion however, SIU answered right back and only trailed one other time. Those SIU teams were so freaking tough it's not even funny.
      Not sure how you remember that much detail. The thing that kind of stuck with me is that when you have a really interrupted by halftime either the team or the crowd or both lose momentum. That did not happen here. No doubt SIU was tough but so much energy was spent by the team and the fans getting into the lead I don't thing either had much left in the tank when SIU responded.

Comment

That was one of the toughest polls yet, at least for me. Just goes to show what a great program we have had over the years, including some great years in the Valley of Death. I went with misery state game. Coming back from a 19 point deficit on the road is just unfathomanable and it continued the fantastic unblemished record if not fueled it for the rest of the season. Thanks for the poll, nice recap of some unbelievable Shocker comebacks!

Comment

Not the largest in terms of quantity, but battling back against #1 Gonzaga after trailing 49-41 with 11 and change remaining to win 76-70 is tops in my book. Our offensive execution in those last 12 minutes against the best team in the country was just about perfect at a time when our margin for error was nil.

This is still my favorite game in my time as a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
            Not the largest in terms of quantity, but battling back against #1 Gonzaga after trailing 49-41 with 11 and change remaining to win 76-70 is tops in my book. Our offensive execution in those last 12 minutes against the best team in the country was just about perfect at a time when our margin for error was nil.
            Kind of the same thing applies to the Dave Stallworth comeback against Cincy in 1963. Cincy was the best team/program in college basketball coming off back-to-back national championships, were ranked #1 again and came in with a 37 game winning streak. Not won of the biggest comebacks in terms of quantity but it was huge in terms of impact.

The thing that made the Gonzaga comeback so big was that it was on such a big stage.

Comment

I had to vote for the 1963 Cinci game because they were the back to back champion and I was in the house. The Southern Miss game Dec 2012 at Intrust was a pretty good comeback as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Kind of the same thing applies to the Dave Stallworth comeback against Cincy in 1963. Cincy was the best team/program in college basketball coming off back-to-back national championships, were ranked #1 again and came in with a 37 game winning streak. Not won of the biggest comebacks in terms of quantity but it was huge in terms of impact.

The thing that made the Gonzaga comeback so big was that it was on such a big stage.
                Agreed. I think the accomplishment is magnified a bit by the fact that there was no home court advantage - other than ISUr (road), MSU (road) and Gonzaga (Salt Lake), I believe all the rest occurred at Levitt/Koch.

Comment

Working...
                X