Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 Shockers Greatest Comebacks Poll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Shockers Greatest Comebacks Poll?

▪ 12/20/17 - Shaquille Morris scored 25 points, Landry Shamet added 23 and No. 6 Wichita State got the Maui Invitational off to a wild start by rallying from an 18-point deficit with 15;32 remaining in the second half. The Shockers used a suffocating full-court press to win going away, 92-82.

▪ On Dec. 16, 2014, WSU trailed Alabama 51-40 with 6:01 to play at Koch Arena. It outscored the visitors 13-1 to win 53-52 on Darius Carter’s dunk with 11 seconds to play.

▪ 01/11/14 - Wichita State’s 19-point rally at Missouri State ranks as the program’s top comeback, according to research by radio voice Mike Kennedy. The Shockers trailed the Bears 54-35 with 11:48 remaining in the game. They tied it 64-all to force overtime and won 72-69.

▪ In 2013, the Shockers trailed Illinois State 67-60 with 40 seconds to play at Redbird Arena. Cleanthony Early started the rally with two free throws after a flagrant foul on Illinois State’s Jackie Carmichael, who kicked WSU’s Tekele Cotton after a rebound. Demetric Williams made a three-pointer to cut the lead to 67-65. After a turnover, Early’s three-pointer with six seconds to play gave WSU a 68-67 win.

▪ The Shockers trailed Iowa 40-25 early in the second half in the 1981 NCAA Tournament at Levitt Arena. WSU responded by holding Iowa scoreless for 8:50 to tie the game. The Shockers won 60-56, helped by a technical foul on the Hawkeyes called when coach Lute Olson told Bob Hansen to call a timeout his team didn’t possess.

▪ In 1978, Final Four-bound DePaul visited Levitt Arena. The Blue Demons led 85-71 with 5:04 remaining. WSU won 95-92.

▪ Down 54-42 with 11:30 remaining, the Shockers rallied to defeat No. 10 Cincinnati 67-66 in 1969 at Levitt Arena. Guard Greg Rataj sparked the rally with eight points down the stretch.

▪ In 1968, Saint Louis led the Shockers by 15 points with around 14 minutes to play at Levitt Arena. A 20-5 run gave the Shockers a 77-72 win.

▪ Dave Stallworth scored seven straight points in the final 3:10 to give the ninth-ranked Shockers a 65-64 win over No. 1 Cincinnati in 1963. The win ended Cincinnati’s 37-game win streak.

If anything is incorrect let me know, and i will try and fix.
    ▪ 11/20/17 vs. California – down 18 with 15:32 to play, WSU 92-82
    3.95%
    ▪ 12/16/14 vs. Alabama – down 11 with 6:01 to play, WSU 53-52
    1.32%
    ▪ 01/11/14 at Missouri State – down 19 with 11:48 to play, WSU 72-69 in OT
    47.37%
    ▪ 02/17/13 at Illinois State – down 7 with 0:40 to play, WSU 68-67
    30.26%
    ▪ 03/15/81 vs. Iowa – down 15 with 18:50 to play, WSU 60-56
    6.58%
    ▪ 12/09/78 vs. DePaul – down 14 with 5:04 to play, WSU 95-92
    3.95%
    ▪ 01/04/69 vs. Cincinnati – down 12 with 11:30 to play, WSU 67-66
    0%
    ▪ 01/06/68 vs. Saint Louis – down 15 with 14:00 to play, WSU 77-72
    0%
    ▪ 02/16/63 vs. Cincinnati – down 6 with 3:10 to play, WSU 65-64
    6.58%
    ▪ Other? (Share your story and recollections)
    0%
    Last edited by WuShock Reaper; November 21, 2017, 12:35 PM.

I chose the 01/11/14 at Missouri State – down 19 with 11:48 to play, WSU 72-69 in OT, but was very close to choosing the 02/17/13 at Illinois State – down 7 with 0:40 to play, WSU 68-67.

Comment

• InWuWeTrust
      InWuWeTrust commented
      Editing a comment
      had the good fortune to be at both.. i'm going to lean toward the missouri state game but the atmosphere in both games was great.

Others are good, but nothing tops down 19 on the road to save the perfect season.

Comment

Kung fu fightin’ coin tossin’ Redbird comeback with 40sec left ~ priceless

Comment

It wasn't a win, but 2004 at home vs. SIU is up there.

Comment

I've only been alive to see the 4 most recent ones in the poll. But I had to go with the down 7 with 40 seconds to go at Illinois State. Man, my watch party was ROWDY after that one. What a memorable 40 seconds.

Comment

Dave Stallworth made me a Shocker for life. I have to vote for Cincinatti '63. Anti-recency bias.
            One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

I have to say it again: the person we have to thank the most, besides Coach Marshall, for the ascendancy of WSU basketball to the national stage is Jackie Charmichael. We were a bubble team, about to lose late in the season, and all he had to do was come down clean with that rebound and we were sunk.

Comment

• WuShock16
                WuShock16 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. We lose that game, and our margin of error to even make the NCAA Tournament (let alone go to the Final Four) would have slimmed considerably.

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
              It wasn't a win, but 2004 at home vs. SIU is up there.
              I was thinking of that game as well. IIRC weren't the Shocks down by like 26 points (perhaps not that much but it was lot), roared back with a rally that started late in the 1st half and carried over to the 2nd half to take a short lead only to run out of gas and lose a close game. The Shocker crowd was terrific getting behind the team when they were being blown out. That was during SIU's heydays.

Comment

Speaking of games we didn't win, the Screw in the Lou game was the best comeback that never was IMO. I think we were down 20 about half way through the second half.
                “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• WuShock16
                  WuShock16 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  WSU won that game, but for some reason, Creighton was allowed to play in place of the Shockers the next day.

In poetic justice, Illinois State (who didn’t have a jackhole for a coach, thus wasn’t nearly as unlikable) handed Creighton their backsides, winning by like 30.

I almost voted for Missouri State, but the most wildly improbable rally I have ever witnessed was that 40 seconds at Illinois State...until aTm and UNI in the tournament a couple years ago.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                  I almost voted for Missouri State, but the most wildly improbable rally I have ever witnessed was that 40 seconds at Illinois State...until aTm and UNI in the tournament a couple years ago.
                  I think that aTm/UNI finish qualifies more as a giveback by UNI than a comeback by aTm.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I was thinking of that game as well. IIRC weren't the Shocks down by like 26 points (perhaps not that much but it was lot), roared back with a rally that started late in the 1st half and carried over to the 2nd half to take a short lead only to run out of gas and lose a close game. The Shocker crowd was terrific getting behind the team when they were being blown out. That was during SIU's heydays.
                    11-0 then 25-11 then 43-20. AT HOME. Time out Mark Turgeon. Mark challenges the player's manhood. Mark's head starts bobbing around like a crazy man. The crowd supports his ass chewing.

Shocks close the last 3 minutes on a 13-4 run, ending with a Matt Clark corner 3 and Koch Arena ERUPTS. DOWN 47-34 at half. EASILY one of the 10 loudest moments in Koch Arena history.

At 16:48 of the 2nd half, Jamar blocked a shot, Randy Burns stuck a 3 and it was 49-47 Wichita State. Virgins were being sacrificed in the aisles. Ears could no longer bleed.

In championship fashion however, SIU answered right back and only trailed one other time. Those SIU teams were so freaking tough it's not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

11-0 then 25-11 then 43-20. AT HOME. Time out Mark Turgeon. Mark challenges the player's manhood. Mark's head starts bobbing around like a crazy man. The crowd supports his ass chewing.

Shocks close the last 3 minutes on a 13-4 run, ending with a Matt Clark corner 3 and Koch Arena ERUPTS. DOWN 47-34 at half. EASILY one of the 10 loudest moments in Koch Arena history.

At 16:48 of the 2nd half, Jamar blocked a shot, Randy Burns stuck a 3 and it was 49-47 Wichita State. Virgins were being sacrificed in the aisles. Ears could no longer bleed.

In championship fashion however, SIU answered right back and only trailed one other time. Those SIU teams were so freaking tough it's not even funny.
                      That is quite a memory you have Doc. Good Lord with the detail.

That game was insanely loud for insanely LONG amounts of time. I don't think I've ever witnessed that amount of loud in that amount of time outside of the FSU NIT game.

Great stuff.

As for the thread, I narrowly pulled the trigger on the Redturd game. Catapulted us to an unbelievable finish and caused little ***** Muller and their classy fanbase to hurl objects at our players. They're still irrelevant and we're a national brand.

The Missouri State comeback was just unbelievable with undefeated on the line. A very, very close 2nd.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If you didn't have the Iowa come back you never get 66-65.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Working...
                        X