No announcement yet.

Interesting Observation on AAC vs MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As always the best route to additional teams is for the "for sure bids" to lose the auto bid to a team on the bubble. I am definitely hoping for Cincinnati, WSU, and Houston to pull away from the pack.

Comment

I'm finding the AAC to be incredibly reminiscent of the MVC a decade or so ago. A couple of teams looking like locks, but a lot of cannibalization, as teams that are at best bubble teams consistently knocking off teams that look like solid picks to make the tourney.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
        Jamar Howard 4 President commented
        Editing a comment
        Like how Iowa State (3-7) has wins this year over Texas Tech and West Virginia?
        Like how Oklahoma State (4-6) has wins over OU and @KU?
        Like how Baylor (3-7) has a win over Texas?

I think what you are describing Aargh is more common than you think.

The best scenario is when your bottom feeders can win OOC and then obligingly lose to all NCAA contenders in conference. Perfect example is St. John’s, 11-2 OOC with a Duke win, but 0-11 in conference.

Comment

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        We have have in conference bottom feeder like that!!!! Only they also loose OOC so I guess not.

Teams 2-10 in the MVC are all within 60 spots of each other in KenPom (101-161). Crazy.

Comment

nm

Comment

• WichitaStateGuy
          WichitaStateGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          What does "nm" mean? Nevermind?

• SHOCKvalue
          SHOCKvalue commented
          Editing a comment
          ^Yes.

• 1979Shocker
          1979Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought I was on the thread for the Gregg Marshall Show that was on yesterday, but I guess no one started that thread. I basically said that Mike Kennedy had a slip of the tongue when he said the Shockers were 9-3 in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        Teams 2-10 in the MVC are all within 60 spots of each other in KenPom (101-161). Crazy.
        The Mediocre Valley Conference? Melancholy?

I suppose LOLoyola has performed and improved as some (mostly non-WSU peeps) predicted they would, but they still don't deliver even so much as a sliver of the Chicago market, and they look so, SO small time on TV with their JuCo arena and minuscule attendance. The latter caveat can be said - even moreso - for WSU's replacement.

It goes without saying... but glad we're gone, even with the couple RPI stinkers, and the several struggling big brands, in the AAC.

Buy: AAC; sell: MVC.
        Last edited by SHOCKvalue; February 13, 2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I'm actually most impressed that none of them are in the 200+ range. I thought they would all be much worse compared to last year. However, the MVC's average Kenpom ratings compare as:

2017: 143.5
          2018: 128.7

And that's including WSU in 2017 and Valpo in 2018. Pretty wild. Good for them for becoming the Valley of Even.

Comment

• ShockerPhi
            ShockerPhi commented
            Editing a comment
            If you don't count WSU and Valpo and only evaluate the 9 schools that remain unchanged, the numbers come out to:

2017: 158.5
            2018: 125.3

18 games in the MVC (no Valpo), as compared to 18 games in the AAC using this year’s unbalanced schedule (ECU, USF, Memphis, and Tulane only once each), shown by quadrants 1/2/3/4:

MVC: 1/6/9/2
          AAC: 6/6/4/2

Shift 5 Q3 games into Q1? Yeah, I think I’m happy with the move.

Comment

Loyola really surprised with their consistency playing a level above the rest of the league. The other 9 teams... wow. Not sure I've ever seen anything like it. There are 351 D1 teams, and 90% of the MVC fell in basically the same 1/10th.

MVC KenPom ranks:

Comment

• Stickboy46
              Stickboy46 commented
              Editing a comment
              So every team except Loyola got exactly ONE chance at a Q1 win. Loyola got zero.

• jdshock
              jdshock commented
              Editing a comment
              Stickboy46 - The teams that faced Loyola in STL had two chances at a Q1 win. Loyola still had zero.

• Rocky Mountain Shock
              Rocky Mountain Shock commented
              Editing a comment
              This is exactly why being the only great team in a mediocre league is a really bad situation. Glad we got out.

Loyola really surprised with their consistency playing a level above the rest of the league. The other 9 teams... wow. Not sure I've ever seen anything like it. There are 351 D1 teams, and 90% of the MVC fell in basically the same 1/10th.

MVC KenPom ranks:
            Now they just need the whole thing to slide down about 30 spots to the AdjEM +/-0 point, and they will have officially achieved the Valley of Even in ways I didn't think was possible.

Comment

Favorable Surprise: LUC

Unfavorable Surprise: UNI
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                ShockdaWorld commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree as far as expectations, but I don’t know if I’d say unfavorable. I kind of enjoy NIU sucking.

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
              Favorable Surprise: LUC

Unfavorable Surprise: UNI
              Personally, I was not surprised UNI did so poorly. They were terrible last year (no, I will not give them props for getting 3rd place last year with a 9-9 record). Then they lost their best player to graduation. I definitely expected them to suck this year. When they're bad, they REALLY ugly up a game of basketball and make it unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post

Personally, I was not surprised UNI did so poorly. They were terrible last year (no, I will not give them props for getting 3rd place last year with a 9-9 record). Then they lost their best player to graduation. I definitely expected them to suck this year. When they're bad, they REALLY ugly up a game of basketball and make it unwatchable.
                I wasn’t expecting them to be in the Thursday game. A far cry from their recent heyday.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Don't feel bad for them, this is Doug Elgin's wet dream come true.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• ShockerFever
                    ShockerFever commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It will. Redturd fans were sure they were gonna be the dominant force when they left. lol nope. UNI fans thought they were gonna dominated. 9th place? lol HELL NO. That's the thing with Valley teams. There is never any carry-over from year to year. No consistency. One team pops up and then disappears the next year. Typical cyclical nature of mid-major basketball.

• wufan
                    wufan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The AAC might be cyclical too. We are going to lose 6 or 7 of our top 9 players. Cincinnati loses its two best players. UConn is just a handful of years removed from a national title, and Memphis, just 10 years removed from a title appearance.

Of course the AAC is much better because the top of the league is much better.

• Rlh04d
                    Rlh04d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Speaking of ShockerFever 's point about cyclical nature, the only non-upper classman to play more than 13mpg on Loyola's roster was the goofy C. Loaded up for a next season collapse to the mean just like every UNI team that stole Coach of the Year awards.

I'm surprised UNI fell to Thursday, but that program is built to only be good every three years.

The Valley of Even is most happy when everyone gets a chance to win the conference. Gotta keep the carousel spinning.

Comment

Working...
                  X