Nice article on MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice article on MB

It doesn't seem like that long ago that many posters were predicting that Gal would be running the point. What a great year (so far) for Matt. And a nicely written article by Sullentrop.

Wear your seatbelt.

Is it my imagination or is HCGM just better at recognizing players strengths and allowing them to exploit them. It just seemed like MT had a system and each and every player need to reshape and mold his game to fit his system. The other thing I love about HCGM is his sideline demeanor. It really keeps the players energized and in the game.
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
    which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Graduate assistant?

Comment

The tone of that piece is very complimentary to the current coaching staff. (ahem)

Comment

I think Marshall has as much or more of a system than Turgeon. But I think that system probably allows individual players more freedom and opportunity to excel because there are more sets in the system than with the traditional motion offense. Then again, maybe I'm just throwing out terms that I really don't understand... With that caveat, those who do seem to know what they are talking about, App State's coach, for example, says that Marshall has more sets than any coach he has seen, or something similar to that.

Matt is smart enough to grasp Marshall's system and has the talent to execute and direct it on the floor. What a great year for a great kid.

Pin, I guess I'm being a little obtuse this morning, but I don't understand your post. Is that a Jim Rome ahem on the end?
          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Future Shocker Asst Coach / Then Head Coach after HCGM retires 15 yrs down the line as the greastest Shocker coach of all time :good: 8) 8) :good:
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerKhan
              Is it my imagination or is HCGM just better at recognizing players strengths and allowing them to exploit them. It just seemed like MT had a system and each and every player need to reshape and mold his game to fit his system. The other thing I love about HCGM is his sideline demeanor. It really keeps the players energized and in the game.
              I think, in general, coaches tend to fall in to one camp or the other (start with the system you have or start with the players you have) and either approach can be extremely successfuly. (Although it should be noted that every coach has some kind of system in mind). I believe HCGM is adapting to his players talent BUT I don't know yet whether this is what he wants to do or whether it is what he is forced to do since he is inheriting another coach's players who, by and large, are not players who fit the style of play he was running at Winthrop. Once he has two or three recruiting classes in place we will be in a better position to know how flexible he prefers to be. For now, he is clearly doing exactly what he needs to do to win.
              The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

HCGM made some comments after he was hired, that he like to find a player's strength and use them. Conversely, he also finds a player's weaknesses and hides them.

We have every reason to believe he will get everything he can from the talent he has at his disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                  HCGM made some comments after he was hired, that he like to find a player's strength and use them. Conversely, he also finds a player's weaknesses and hides them.

We have every reason to believe he will get everything he can from the talent he has at his disposal.
                  Now that you mention it, I think there were some quotes to that effect. While I believe that either approach can be successful, when you are at a (forgive me people) "mid-major" you are not always going to have every recruit that you would like. The ability to adapt to the skills of the "best player available" can be a very helpful thing.
                  The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I've done some of Matt's games when he's coaching MAYB, and there's no doubt he is going to be a great coach. He knows his strategy better than anybody else at his age, and he may very well be an assistant next year.

Comment

I can't believe some of you guys doubted him as being the starting PG for this team.

Good read though.
                      He is a great leader on this team, and a great player.

Comment

Nothing Matt has done this year has surprised me. He's the heart and soul of this team.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

People concerned about me wearing down over the season don't need to be because I'm mentally tough
                          Sounds like Matt learned a lesson from last year's team and as far as it goes with him, he'll never let it happen to a team he's a part of.

MTXE
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Matt is one hard foul away from having his college career ended. Nobody said Matt didn't have the heart or mind, it's the body we are all concerned about. It's just basic physics, he doesn't have the mass to endure the abuse; his multiple concussions are evidence of that. That being said, hopefully the training staff can hold him together for one more year! He definitely shouldn't be exposing himself to more concussions in practice. There should be a contact rule in practice for MB.

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                              There should be a contact rule in practice for MB.
                              Agreed, especially since several guys much bigger than Matt have gotten concussions in practice already. I think mostly Clemente needs to have a no contact rule when near Matt.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                              X