Nice article on MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wsu789
    I think Marshall has as much or more of a system than Turgeon. But I think that system probably allows individual players more freedom and opportunity to excel because there are more sets in the system than with the traditional motion offense. Then again, maybe I'm just throwing out terms that I really don't understand... With that caveat, those who do seem to know what they are talking about, App State's coach, for example, says that Marshall has more sets than any coach he has seen, or something similar to that.

Matt is smart enough to grasp Marshall's system and has the talent to execute and direct it on the floor. What a great year for a great kid.

Pin, I guess I'm being a little obtuse this morning, but I don't understand your post. Is that a Jim Rome ahem on the end?
    I think one of the biggest differences between Turgeon and Marshall is that Turgeon learned to coach under some of the best talent in the college ranks while Marshall has always had to "make due" with what he had. It takes a completely different mindset to coach Roy-ball at KU than what he was working with here. Turgeon was a white-collar coach trained to lead the best athletes in the game and Marshall is a blue-collar coach trained (or self-trained) to get the absolute most out of what he is given (or what he has gotten). Turgeon was a whiner. He whined about scheduling, recruiting, etc. etc., he was used to having the Crimson and Blue spoon shoved into his mouth. Marshall is a doer and doesn't see an obstacle that he can't overcome. This city is going to fall in love with Marshall, I only hope he falls in love with us...

T

...8)

Comment

If Matt goes down we are in a world of hurt. We seem to lose all flow on offense and defense when he is out of the game we don't have any other options at point. Wendell and Gal can give him a couple of minutes rest, but you don't want them running point full time.

Stating multiple concussions you make it sound way worse than the two it is. Anyone is likely to suffer a concussion from a 220 lb Falker flying through the air and planting his knee in their chest. That is not very likely to happen more than once in a career. I also think Matt is a lot tougher than you give him credit for being.

Comment

Cold: While I appreciate your sentiment, I think Coach Marshall views himself as a protege of John Kresse, a great basketball coach, for whom he worked for many years.

Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          I think Marshall has as much or more of a system than Turgeon. But I think that system probably allows individual players more freedom and opportunity to excel because there are more sets in the system than with the traditional motion offense. Then again, maybe I'm just throwing out terms that I really don't understand... With that caveat, those who do seem to know what they are talking about, App State's coach, for example, says that Marshall has more sets than any coach he has seen, or something similar to that.

Matt is smart enough to grasp Marshall's system and has the talent to execute and direct it on the floor. What a great year for a great kid.

Pin, I guess I'm being a little obtuse this morning, but I don't understand your post. Is that a Jim Rome ahem on the end?
          I think one of the biggest differences between Turgeon and Marshall is that Turgeon learned to coach under some of the best talent in the college ranks while Marshall has always had to "make due" with what he had. It takes a completely different mindset to coach Roy-ball at KU than what he was working with here. Turgeon was a white-collar coach trained to lead the best athletes in the game and Marshall is a blue-collar coach trained (or self-trained) to get the absolute most out of what he is given (or what he has gotten). Turgeon was a whiner. He whined about scheduling, recruiting, etc. etc., he was used to having the Crimson and Blue spoon shoved into his mouth. Marshall is a doer and doesn't see an obstacle that he can't overcome. This city is going to fall in love with Marshall, I only hope he falls in love with us...

T

...8)
          Then how did Turgeon take no talent Jacksonville St. to a winning record? How did he build such a down-trodden Wichita State into a sweet sixteen school? I agree that Turg had his downfalls, as most do, and Marshall might be better suited to lead a squad that lacks a little, but don't sell Turg short either.

Comment

Also, Cold, my post wasn't referring to those who predicted MB would be hurt but to the notion that Mekel would beat him out for the job. And maybe he still will. But I doubt it.
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz
              If Matt goes down we are in a world of hurt. We seem to lose all flow on offense and defense when he is out of the game we don't have any other options at point. Wendell and Gal can give him a couple of minutes rest, but you don't want them running point full time.

Stating multiple concussions you make it sound way worse than the two it is. Anyone is likely to suffer a concussion from a 220 lb Falker flying through the air and planting his knee in their chest. That is not very likely to happen more than once in a career. I also think Matt is a lot tougher than you give him credit for being.
              Tough is fine but physics are physics. I know what it feels like to have a size advantage over someone else and it makes a huge difference during a collision.

Another "problem" if you want to call it that is Matt plays completely balls out with pure reckless abandon. I've seen him get completely laid out after a fast break. So many times I have held my breath only to watch him get up slowly. With his light weight he can probably take a few more falls but if somebody big (250lbs) falls on top of him or collides with him directly, he is going down.

T

...8)

Comment

Cold: While I appreciate your sentiment, I think Coach Marshall views himself as a protege of John Kresse, a great basketball coach, for whom he worked for many years.

http://www.cofc.edu/news/20020314-1.html
                I think my point still remains.. Turgeon's subjects during his training were some of the highest in the game, Marshall's not so much...

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53

T

...8)
                  Then how did Turgeon take no talent Jacksonville St. to a winning record? How did he build such a down-trodden Wichita State into a sweet sixteen school? I agree that Turg had his downfalls, as most do, and Marshall might be better suited to lead a squad that lacks a little, but don't sell Turg short either.
                  Just because Turgeon is a whiny KU brat doesn't mean he doesn't know how to coach. But it is apparent that when he left and his first comments were in regards to the "kind of players" he had at WSU that he was constantly looking over the fence at the "greener" pasture. His continual whining in regards to recruiting illustrates that in retrospect.

Turgeon's legacy in Wichita is what it is but he will forever be remembered by most in how and when he left. Just read today's article and see what Matt said about how down the players were after he left. Matt was inferring that he was actually not wanting to play anymore. That tells you a little something about what Mark was saying and what he was actually planning... sneaky little devil.. His response to the players? "Life's not fair". Well here's to Turgeon getting exactly what HE deserves! ;-)

Wow. How did I get started on a Turgeon rant again... *sigh*

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by RHshoxfan
                    I can't believe some of you guys doubted him as being the starting PG for this team.

Good read though.
                    He is a great leader on this team, and a great player.
                    Getting back on topic. You're right RH. There were a number of MB doubters. I even had a rather lengthy debate with one of them, just because I couldn't take it anymore. But I really think they were a very vocal minority. Most of us knew MB was the man.
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

T

...8)
                      That is an interesting point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks
                        Originally posted by RHshoxfan
                        I can't believe some of you guys doubted him as being the starting PG for this team.

Good read though.
                        He is a great leader on this team, and a great player.
                        Getting back on topic. You're right RH. There were a number of MB doubters. I even had a rather lengthy debate with one of them, just because I couldn't take it anymore. But I really think they were a very vocal minority. Most of us knew MB was the man.
                        I doubted him b/c we heard Spinelli had signed a 6'3" wonderkid point guard who had NBA potential.

That hasn't proven to be the case. And MB has improved a ton, especially his offense.

Comment

Working...
                        X