Texas Arlington Pre-Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    General Admission tickets are still available for the Texas-Arlington game.

WICHITA, Kan. -- P.J. Couisnard recorded his second double-double of the season with 20 points and 10 rebounds, but it wasn't enough as Wichita State fell to Texas-Arlington 60-59 Friday night inside Charles Koch Arena.

Time to get on the Bus, Gus! Spend a little green, Gene!

Enjoy some Shocker joy, Roy!

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:
    just received an email for all staff/faculty that we can buy general admission tickets for tonight for a $6 discount; doesn't appear to be a limit on the number you can buy either. maybe this will be a good enough deal that people will decide to come out for the game!

Comment

UTA

The North Texas win is a quality win. UNT has Keith Wooden on the team and has some decent wins this year.

Comment

Just as with UMBC this team is a paper tiger. To quote Baghdad Bob, "God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of the Shockers."
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

A little about UTA:

STRENGTHS: The frontline is physical, has a dynamic athlete in Jermaine Griffin and a consummate team player in Anthony Vereen. Ro'ger Guignard was fifth in the league with 71 3-pointers made last season, and a year of experience should mean more consistency.

WEAKNESSES: The Mavs lack that super-athletic wing. SF Larry Posey is more Barkley-esque, as in the physique of a retired Charles Barkley, and Guignard and Rod Epps are smaller shooting guards.

LAST YEAR: 13-17 overall, 8-8 in the Southland; lost in the conference quarterfinals.

HEAD COACH: Scott Cross (career 13-17); second year at UTA (13-17).

QUOTE TO NOTE: "We have the opportunity to put together a season this program has not seen in a long time, and we are excited about the possibilities." — UTA coach Scott Cross on the team's potential this season.

KEY EARLY-SEASON GAMES: Dec. 7 at Wichita State— Nothing like getting a taste of what it's like to be a mid-major power. While Wichita struggled a bit in the highly-regarded Missouri Valley Conference last season, the Shockers still provide a benchmark for mid-major teams. This provides a nice comparison for the Mavericks, especially if they harbor any postseason ambitions.

Here's the rest of the run-down:

"You can observe a lot just by watching."
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by shockerdude
            might be a little tougher than Shocker Fans expect. look at #19 below.

i hope the shox win but i think they might struggle to get the Victory.

this is a Mid_major Top 25 Poll
            here is from an 'insider' take it for what its worth. HCGM is one of the voters as well.

Next Top 25: Dec. 10

Record

1. Butler (30) 7-0 774 1
            2. Gonzaga (1) 7-1 739 2
            3. St. Mary's 6-0 689 5
            4. Creighton 5-0 650 8
            5. George Mason 6-2 626 4
            6. Southern Illinois 3-2 601 3
            7. Western Kentucky 3-3 526 6
            8. Davidson 5-2 516 8
            9. Akron 5-1 426 13
            10. Holy Cross 6-1 424 10
            11. Sam Houston State 6-0 357 16
            12. Missouri State 4-1 355 9
            13. Bradley 6-2 344 17
            14. UC Santa Barbara 7-1 321 18
            15. Northern Iowa 6-1 312 22
            16. Cal State Fullerton 4-1 307 14
            17. VCU 4-3 281 11
            18. Miami 3-3 224 15
            19. Texas-Arlington 7-0 163 24
            20. Georgia Southern 6-1 151 NR
            21. Valparaiso 6-1 142 NR
            22. New Orleans 4-1 138 19
            23. Drexel 5-3 121 12
            24. Belmont 5-3 120 23
            25. IUPUI 5-2 88 NR

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: Winthrop 84, Kent State 80, Old Dominion 69, UMBC 60, Western Michigan 41, Wright State 28, North Texas 27, Drake 24, Arkansas Little Rock 23, South Alabama 22, Cental Arkansas 21, North Carolina A&T 20, Santa Clara 20, Cal State Northridge 17, James Madison 17, Wisconsin Green Bay 14, Austin Peay, 13, Ohio 13, Hampton 12, Morgan State 12, Pacific 11, Illinois State 10, Siena 10, Montana 7, UNC Ashville, 7, Gardner-Webb 6, Cornell 4, UNC Greensboro 4, Weber State 3, Northern Arizona 1.

VOTING PANEL: Mike Adras (Northern Arizona), Randy Bennett (St. Mary's), Will Brown (Albany), Dave Calloway (Monmouth), Kermit Davis (Middle Tennessee), James Fox (Davidson), Steve Hawkins (Western Michigan), Billy Kennedy (Murray State), Tod Kowalczyk (UW-Green Bay), Jim Larranaga (George Mason), Jim Les (Bradley), Mike Lonergan (Vermont), Bart Lundy (High Point), Bob Marlin (Sam Houston State), Gregg Marshall (Wichita State), Tom Moore (Quinnipiac), Jimmy Patsos (Loyola MD), Tom Pecora (Hofstra), Vann Pettaway (Alabama A&M), Charles Ramsey (Eastern Michigan), Craig Robinson (Brown), Sam Scuilli (Santa Clara), John Shulman (Chattanooga), Mark Slonaker (Mercer), Brad Stevens (Butler), Gary Stewart (UC Davis), Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts), Bob Thomason (Pacific), Rex Walters (Florida Atlantic), James Wilhelmi (Howard), Ralph Willard (Holy Cross).

NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit League, Sun Belt, West Coast.

Loyola (MD) head coach Jimmy Patsos is the chairman of the Top 25 voting panel for the 2007-08 season.
            this poll is a freaking joke. what a waste of time to even have a mid-major poll. the coaches probably have their water boys vote for them.

Comment

Shocks - 69
              UTA - 61

:goshocks:

Comment

This should be a good indicator of how the Shoxs will do against Valley competition. :goshocks: 8)
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I just walked up to the Koch ticket window and bought two GA tickets so my son, a friend and I can watch the game. The person at the window guessed that there were less than 100 GA tickets (and 2+ reserved tickets) available about 30 minutes ago. I hope anyone who doesn't have season tickets (like me) realizes the opportunity that exists to see the Shocks tonight.
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

We're bound to get our offense going and beat someone by 20+ points this season and tonight is as good a time as any to do it.

Shocks - 80 TA - 59

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                      I just walked up to the Koch ticket window and bought two GA tickets so my son, a friend and I can watch the game. The person at the window guessed that there were less than 100 GA tickets (and 2+ reserved tickets) available about 30 minutes ago. I hope anyone who doesn't have season tickets (like me) realizes the opportunity that exists to see the Shocks tonight.
                      Great news! Sounds like it might be a packed house!

And I'll be stuck at home entertaining. (but for a good reason, so it's ok)

Comment

Key tonight will be keeping our bigs out of foul trouble. If we do that, I still go with my original prediciton :)
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

How much longer till the pre-game on the radio?

Comment

Question just answered. I'm getting it on the net now.

Comment

i really think UTA is going to be a tough out. I hope we are there mentally, because this UTA team is hot and not afraid.
                              ________
                              Gift cards
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Working...
                              X