No announcement yet.

Props to UNI - atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My group last night included 3 WSU alums & season ticket holders. Everyone in the group has attended a Shocker game this season. We thought the crowd looked pretty fun.
    That looked better than the hated wave. It was more fun than a few glory hound kids situated throughout the arena that bust out their 1 dance move or the same tired sign only when they think the camera is on them.
    C'mon you little glory hounds. People only care about cute babies, hot chicks or true enthusiasm.
    WSU's 10000+ & 110db's are great. UNI's fans beat us in fun & creativity for this 1 stunt. They won the battle we're winning the war.
    Phi Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
      Originally posted by fastbow
      Whine whine, whine...

The problem is that the organized groups on campus care about themselves, not basketball. The greek circle-jerk shows up for the big games only, and even then, they show up trashed. The other organized groups on campus don't care about basketball.

Besides, who needs creativity when we have a 110-decibel crowd? All these gimmicky things would do nothing but detract from what we do best: fill a 10,500 seat arena with pure, concentrated, HATE.

Why don't people like to play here? We are not accommodating fans. We don't dance and have fun. We are there to watch you get beaten down. Nothing else.

How many other Valley crowds get regular press for being one of the best crowds in the nation? How many Valley crowds get sportsmanship warnings?

If anything, we need to EMBRACE the hate! Burn the coach in effigy in the parking lot. Embrace our reputation as the Villains of the Valley. Boo Eglin if he ever shows his face. Be the Miami of College Basketball.

This is an idea the student body will embrace. You might not, but we would. The Valley already hates us. We already use a modified sexual hand gesture. We shouldn't care.

WSU: Embrace the Hate.
      Maybe the plain, loud noise just isn't enough anymore. MSU, UNI, and SI-freaking-U all in one year is not something that I'd be bragging about.

Why can't you just look at it objectively and admit the lack of creativity doesn't look good? Since you seem to be a proud, constant defender and voice of the student section, why don't you step up and make it a real student section?

Disclaimer: The crowd outside of the student section has been downright pathetic at times too. We have become a spoiled bunch. That needs to change as well.
      SIU was an aberration. SWOMO and UNI are products of that spoiled mentality.

Population of Cedar Falls, IA: 38,589
      Population of Logan, UT: 42,670
      Population of Wichita, KS: 327,186

We've got a bit more to do here than they do in their podunks. We aren't going to invest the time in 3rd Grade creativity because we've got other things to entertain us in town. If Wichita were one of those little Sub-50,000 one-ZIP-code towns with the only entertainments being meth or basketball, then we'd be more inclined to choreograph the student section.

I haven't been a leader in the student section, because I don't get to know the people there. I'll start chants, but I'm not spending my time and money to organize a bunch of students who, in my opinion, are doing a good job. Heck, this year I haven't been able to go to as many games because I'm student teaching. I just don't have the time.

Besides, what do you think I'm calling for in my post? I'm not an advocate of cute and cuddly creativity. I'm an advocate of a loud, punishing Roundhouse that opponents loathe to set foot in. You have made it quite clear that you don't want my brand of creativity, since you idolize silly stunts that have absolutely JACK effect on the game.
      Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
      Students > Alumni
      If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
      The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

I would dance like that if they played Attack Attack in Koch.
        no doubt.
        veni, vidi, vici

Comment

The guys that sit in the front row of the student section every single game need to do something. If your gonna show up early to get those seats everytime, then do something to make our student section a good one. Your there an hour and a half early so do something with that time. Pass out papers so everyone knows when to yell YOU SUCK and WHO CARES. It's not that hard, just put up a little effort.

Comment

Where would you rather go play as a road team? UNI or WSU?

Next effing case, please.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Our crowds have been lacking this year. I don't know why, but the enthusiasm level is less than it has been.

The student section may be partly to blame (it has been lame this year) but the rest of the crowd is partly to blame too.

We have two home games left, we really need to step it up these last 2 games. Especially the BB game because it is on espn2.

Our last home game on espn2 looked awful (Bradley). I was at the game and I know it was a boring game, but when I watched the game on TV (DVR), our crowd didn't come across very well.

The announcers even commented a couple of times about this not being a typical shocker crowd.

Comment

That Bradley game was awful. That was a boring couple of hours. Bradley's pace dictated everything in that building. It wasn't the crowd's fault.
                Phi Alpha

Comment

Whine whine, whine...

The problem is that the organized groups on campus care about themselves, not basketball. The greek circle-jerk shows up for the big games only, and even then, they show up trashed. The other organized groups on campus don't care about basketball.

Besides, who needs creativity when we have a 110-decibel crowd? All these gimmicky things would do nothing but detract from what we do best: fill a 10,500 seat arena with pure, concentrated, HATE.

Why don't people like to play here? We are not accommodating fans. We don't dance and have fun. We are there to watch you get beaten down. Nothing else.

How many other Valley crowds get regular press for being one of the best crowds in the nation? How many Valley crowds get sportsmanship warnings?

If anything, we need to EMBRACE the hate! Burn the coach in effigy in the parking lot. Embrace our reputation as the Villains of the Valley. Boo Eglin if he ever shows his face. Be the Miami of College Basketball.

This is an idea the student body will embrace. You might not, but we would. The Valley already hates us. We already use a modified sexual hand gesture. We shouldn't care.

First, before you blatantly throw out erroneous statements about the Greek Life on campus, why don't you get off your high horse and get your facts straight. The Greek community does so much for this university and community that, sadly, seems to go unnoticed. They, in fact, are a major part of the student section every game. Also, they are some of the brightest and strongest leaders on this campus. But, likely with any group of people, a couple bad apples can spoil the bunch. It is just sad that you just blindly judge the entire group the same way.

All this being said, I do wish the student section was more imaginative. I don't so much care for UNI's as I do Utah State's. The Aggies student section is a thing of beauty. Cleaver chants, unison cheers, etc. I know that we could come up with some great material (maybe add some words to that "Duddly-Do-Right" dance we do before each half). Again though, the responsibility doesn't rest entirely on the shoulders of the student section.

The rest of the crowd needs to step up and do their part as well; Not just when we are playing hot and don't sit down and get pitch quit after the opposing team makes one basket.

Also, the band need to come up with some new material, because hearing the same songs three times in one game gets taxing. The media director needs to spice up the music played and add in some new stuff (music, lighting, videos, etc) to excite the fan base. The marketing department needs to do something, I don't know of anything they really do, but that just might be ignorance on my part.

Lastly, one thing EVERYONE needs to do is learn the fight song! It truly is sad that no one knows what it is. Every other university can sing theirs on a whim. Hopefully, they'll learn to throw it on the big screen like the Alma Mater till everyone knows it by heart.

I know there is a lot of potential for our fan base, and I'll be right there to help everyone push it to the next level.
                  The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Speed
                    That Bradley game was awful. That was a boring couple of hours. Bradley's pace dictated everything in that building. It wasn't the crowd's fault.

I am not blaming the crowd, I'm just pointing out that it was our only other home game this year on espn2 (we did have a home game on the U that looked pretty good earlier this year) and it didn't look good for the national TV audience.

It is kind of strange with all of the games we will have had on espn2 and espnU this year that only 3 of them will have been home games (one on the U, the Bradley game and BB on espn2).

Hopefully the team and the crowd will put on a good show Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                      Whine whine, whine...

Maybe the plain, loud noise just isn't enough anymore. MSU, UNI, and SI-freaking-U all in one year is not something that I'd be bragging about.

Why can't you just look at it objectively and admit the lack of creativity doesn't look good? Since you seem to be a proud, constant defender and voice of the student section, why don't you step up and make it a real student section?

Disclaimer: The crowd outside of the student section has been downright pathetic at times too. We have become a spoiled bunch. That needs to change as well.
                      SIU was an aberration. SWOMO and UNI are products of that spoiled mentality.

Population of Cedar Falls, IA: 38,589
                      Population of Logan, UT: 42,670
                      Population of Wichita, KS: 327,186

We've got a bit more to do here than they do in their podunks. We aren't going to invest the time in 3rd Grade creativity because we've got other things to entertain us in town. If Wichita were one of those little Sub-50,000 one-ZIP-code towns with the only entertainments being meth or basketball, then we'd be more inclined to choreograph the student section.

I haven't been a leader in the student section, because I don't get to know the people there. I'll start chants, but I'm not spending my time and money to organize a bunch of students who, in my opinion, are doing a good job. Heck, this year I haven't been able to go to as many games because I'm student teaching. I just don't have the time.

Besides, what do you think I'm calling for in my post? I'm not an advocate of cute and cuddly creativity. I'm an advocate of a loud, punishing Roundhouse that opponents loathe to set foot in. You have made it quite clear that you don't want my brand of creativity, since you idolize silly stunts that have absolutely JACK effect on the game.

Your "creativity" isn't creativity. Yelling "ahhhh" during a game or "boooo" during opposing free throws is not creative. It's lackluster and dull.

What "silly stunts" do I "idolize"? Instead of pumping words into peoples' mouths, why don't you explain what you're effing talking about.

Apparently the creative "loud" stuff that the current students are doing isn't working out that well this year - 3 L's, one of them to a has-been, all happening one year after we didn't lose a game here. I guess your stuff ain't working either.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The UNI students on TV were pretty impressive, obviously they had someone organize it.

Do we have anyone who organizes our student section????

Comment

It should be the Cheerleaders. Hence "Cheer" Leaders". Seems to me that they need to step up with something and actually lead the crowd that they are suppose to lead. Lots of the time the students are yelling something different than the cheerleaders are. Whoever their sponser is needs to kick it up and make them earn their scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by WuSlamaJama
                            It should be the Cheerleaders. Hence "Cheer" Leaders". Seems to me that they need to step up with something and actually lead the crowd that they are suppose to lead. Lots of the time the students are yelling something different than the cheerleaders are. Whoever their sponser is needs to kick it up and make them earn their scholarships.
                            The cheerleaders do step up...every game they hold up a sign that says "Noise", and then when we're on defense, they chant "d-fence"...heck, they may even have a sign that they hold up for that as well!!! How is it that the crowd isn't getting behind this grade "A" material?
                            That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Originally posted by rZ
                              The cheerleaders do step up...every game they hold up a sign that says "Noise", and then when we're on defense, they chant "d-fence"...heck, they may even have a sign that they hold up for that as well!!! How is it that the crowd isn't getting behind this grade "A" material?
                              From people I've talked to involved with the cheerleaders in the past, they really couldn't care less about the games or the outcomes, let alone helping the student cheer. Now, maybe this has changed recently, but all they care about is their performances and winning their competitions...and of course trying their best to keep "S.M.L.F." meaning a secret...which they have embroidered on everything. If you were to believe them it means "Shocker Memories Last Forever".

Comment

Originally posted by rZ
                                They are too busy preparing for cheer competitions to actually work on their game presence.

Comment

Working...
                                X