Props to UNI - atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props to UNI - atmosphere

Gotta give credit to UNI and the progress made to become a big-time college basketball atmosphere. I remember years ago when watching a game at UNI had all the feeling and ambience of watching a game in a junior high gym. Now they've got one of the better crowds in the MVC with maybe the best student section.

If only our students would be this creative:

The UNI Panther Fans have taken the Interlude Dance to a whole new level. The White Out and Interlude Dance brought the atmosphere in the McLeod Center to re...

Here it is a little earlier in it's infancy. Kids having fun without getting in trouble is a wonderful thing. The writer fails on many levels, not the least of which is his comment about "NCAA Tournament mainstay Creighton...."

FAIL

Well done UNI. I'm very happy we whipped your collective asses, but well done.

Was the kid that GUARANTEED me that WSU wouldn't finish ahead of UNI for at least the next 4 seasons anywhere in that dance?

Comment

Most definitely, I'd also like to think UNI fans for creating the illusion of a "big time" college basketball atmosphere...or compared to any UNI crowd I've seen in the past, at least they had more than 2,000 show up. Being that it was on national TV, with a loud crowd backing the home team, made our blowout look that much more impressive.

Comment

their crowd was great

Comment

Lets get two things perfectly clear about UNI's crowd

Iowa State played a road game earlier in the day.
          Iowa doesnt play until today.

WTF else were they supposed to do?

With that said It pains me in the ass to think that a bunch of random people could come up with something like this for a team that they dont even care about while our crowd singe "Hey Baby (I wanna know if youll be my girl) at least 2 times a half "seriously just effing stop"

Comment

Re: Props to UNI - atmosphere

Originally posted by Hurley
            Gotta give credit to UNI and the progress made to become a big-time college basketball atmosphere. I remember years ago when watching a game at UNI had all the feeling and ambience of watching a game in a junior high gym. Now they've got one of the better crowds in the MVC with maybe the best student section.

If only our students would be this creative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw2IhnxXoKg
            Whoa!

Damn great!
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Whoa!

Damn great!
              Much better than anything I have ever seen from the Shocker students.
              Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Yes, that was a great crowd.

For us to POOP ON!
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

It is absolutely awesome.

It's 16 tons better than watching WSU students flash the silly a$$ 'shocker' hand gesture every time.

The challenge has been issued.

Are UNI students really more creative than WSU?

UNI students?

C'mon Man. 8)
                  Above all, make the right call.

Comment

It will never happen.

We are a commuter school. Most of our students are old, fat and work 30-40 hours per week. The rest of our student body is named Haji, Mohammed, and Dikembe and don't give a flying flip about college basketball. Our on campus dormitory, fraternity and social life is rivaled and probably surpassed by Fort Hays and Pittsburg State.

While it would be nice to get the 500 or so traditional students in the crowd acting original and not vulgar, our fan base is and will always be "the city". It is up to us and the weak ass marketing department to be creative, because if you leave it up to an entity like the traditional student body that barely exists it will most certainly be an epic fail of immense proportions.

Comment

Whine whine, whine...

The problem is that the organized groups on campus care about themselves, not basketball. The greek circle-jerk shows up for the big games only, and even then, they show up trashed. The other organized groups on campus don't care about basketball.

Besides, who needs creativity when we have a 110-decibel crowd? All these gimmicky things would do nothing but detract from what we do best: fill a 10,500 seat arena with pure, concentrated, HATE.

Why don't people like to play here? We are not accommodating fans. We don't dance and have fun. We are there to watch you get beaten down. Nothing else.

How many other Valley crowds get regular press for being one of the best crowds in the nation? How many Valley crowds get sportsmanship warnings?

If anything, we need to EMBRACE the hate! Burn the coach in effigy in the parking lot. Embrace our reputation as the Villains of the Valley. Boo Eglin if he ever shows his face. Be the Miami of College Basketball.

This is an idea the student body will embrace. You might not, but we would. The Valley already hates us. We already use a modified sexual hand gesture. We shouldn't care.

WSU: Embrace the Hate.
                      Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                      Students > Alumni
                      If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                      The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                        http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/01/30/video-unis-interlude-dance-sets-caucasian-rhythm-movement-back-20-years/

Here it is a little earlier in it's infancy. Kids having fun without getting in trouble is a wonderful thing. The writer fails on many levels, not the least of which is his comment about "NCAA Tournament mainstay Creighton...."

FAIL

Well done UNI. I'm very happy we whipped your collective asses, but well done.

Was the kid that GUARANTEED me that WSU wouldn't finish ahead of UNI for at least the next 4 seasons anywhere in that dance?
                        ValleyChamp has not been seen on several message boards in the last 48 hours, including the Panther board. He seems to have curled in on himself.

NIU can brag about having a student section who can dance for 3 minutes and I'll take the 18 point beatdown on national tv.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                          Whoa!

Damn great!
                          Much better than anything I have ever seen from the Shocker students.
                          Although students appear to be attending games in more abundance than in the past, until the student section is filled to capacity and gets organized -- and I mean truly organized (ala Utah State) -- we will still see other Valley student sections outperforming ours. This is not up to the older fans. This is entirely up to the student body. No one can do this for them. And before you ask, no I have no suggestions for them other than get a small group of strong leaders to get this thing started.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
                            Whine whine, whine...

The problem is that the organized groups on campus care about themselves, not basketball. The greek circle-jerk shows up for the big games only, and even then, they show up trashed. The other organized groups on campus don't care about basketball.

Besides, who needs creativity when we have a 110-decibel crowd? All these gimmicky things would do nothing but detract from what we do best: fill a 10,500 seat arena with pure, concentrated, HATE.

Why don't people like to play here? We are not accommodating fans. We don't dance and have fun. We are there to watch you get beaten down. Nothing else.

How many other Valley crowds get regular press for being one of the best crowds in the nation? How many Valley crowds get sportsmanship warnings?

If anything, we need to EMBRACE the hate! Burn the coach in effigy in the parking lot. Embrace our reputation as the Villains of the Valley. Boo Eglin if he ever shows his face. Be the Miami of College Basketball.

This is an idea the student body will embrace. You might not, but we would. The Valley already hates us. We already use a modified sexual hand gesture. We shouldn't care.

WSU: Embrace the Hate.
                            Maybe the plain, loud noise just isn't enough anymore. MSU, UNI, and SI-freaking-U all in one year is not something that I'd be bragging about.

Why can't you just look at it objectively and admit the lack of creativity doesn't look good? Since you seem to be a proud, constant defender and voice of the student section, why don't you step up and make it a real student section?

Disclaimer: The crowd outside of the student section has been downright pathetic at times too. We have become a spoiled bunch. That needs to change as well.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Just how much did this fantastic interlude dance help the basketball team win its contest? Gosh, I must have missed that part of it.

I know I'm old, but a basketball game comprises singing with fervor the Alma Mater, singing or having the National Anthem performed close to how it was written, screaming enthusiastically in response to a great play by your team, informing the referees when they're wrong, yelling support and encouragement for the team in good and bad times, clapping politely when an opposing player who's required medical attention is carryied off the floor, and making so much noise that the other team cannot think or see straight when the Shockers really need a STOP or just when we feel ike doing it, watching the cheerleaders and dancing teams do their thing and participating in the cheers, singing with the band, watching WU and riding the other team's coaches. Oh, the contests during timeouts are okay to pass the time.

All of the other stuff, the dance cam, kissing cam, looking for the big glasses in the crowd and throwing the t-shirts and mini-balls helps kill time and is somewhat acceptable for that purpose only. Interlude dancing falls somewhat below all that in making the game any better of an experience for me.
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                              X