No announcement yet.

Rubber Match -- Shox v. FGCU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was there for the first 4 innings. Man, I love this squad. This is going to be a great, great season.

Off to Sports Time. ;-)

Comment

Where will we sit in the rankings after the weekend?

Comment

Thank goodness baseball season is here and the guys swept this series to relieve my heartburn from watching that piss poor of a second half in basketball.

Comment

I wish it was a sweep, but 2 out of 3 is pretty nice.

In the first 8 games, 10 different players have homered. We're averaging 10.6 runs a game, and have a team SLG % of .585. We've also drawn 5 walks a game, and stolen 21 bases in 23 attempts.

:clap:

Comment

Overall, the Shox looked pretty good this weekend. Offensively, most of the guys are showing a great deal of patience at the plate and making the opposing pitchers work. Friday, Sale threw 97 pitches in 6 IP; Erath threw 98 in 5 IP Saturday; and, Nathanson threw 98 in 3.2 IP Sunday. Strikeouts by Shox hitters are too high, but they're getting runs across the plate. Other than Lassley, most of the other hitters are coming back down to earth, but are producing solidly. Lassley is just sick right now - he's at the point right now where he has to go 3-4 to improve his average - 2-3 just isn't good enough.

The pitching has been solid, except for relief on Friday. Brent and Gene seem to be looking for the bullpen rotation. TJ McGreevy has been good; Rem Johnson has been pretty good. Most of the other guys haven't pitched enough for me to decide who might rise to the top. Sossaman's has been beat up a couple times, but sure looks good when he's in a groove.

There's no doubt this team can be much better than the '09 team. They're already almost 1/2 way to last season's HR total (33) with 15. Runs per game pace is nearly double, too - 10.6 vs. 5.4. The '09 team was 6-2 after 8 games, but in the middle of a 5 game losing streak. The '09 team had only 7 double-digit scoring games the entire season, this team has 5 double-digit scoring games in the first 8 already this season. Next weekend at LBSU will be a good measure of where the '10 team stands, but we can't look past Central Ark in the midweek.

Hopefully, they can keep it up.

--'85;
            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

They're already almost 1/2 way to last season's HR total (33) with 15. Runs per game pace is nearly double, too - 10.6 vs. 5.4. The '09 team was 6-2 after 8 games, but in the middle of a 5 game losing streak. The '09 team had only 7 double-digit scoring games the entire season, this team has 5 double-digit scoring games in the first 8 already this season
              Very good stuff.

FGCU is a good team that will be heard from this year. A good weekend, and a good week.

Comment

Can't say enough about how lucky we have been so far with the weather.No north wind so far.Lovin' Shocker Baseball!!!!

Comment

Now that was the Charlie Lowell I remember from last year very sharp.
                  First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10
                    He was very good through 5. Sorta lost it completely in the 6th with walk, 2 HBP and one run. He was probably around 70-75 pitches at that point.

I haven't checked the stats, but it doesn't seem like the starters are getting the strikeouts they had last season. It is more like they're pitching to contact so far this year. I wonder if that is be design or just the way it is worked out so far. Pitchers can be more efficient pitching to contact vs. being strikeout guys, a la Greg Maddux. Just curious has anyone else thought about that yet?

--'85.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                      Originally posted by shock10
                      He was very good through 5. Sorta lost it completely in the 6th with walk, 2 HBP and one run. He was probably around 70-75 pitches at that point.

I haven't checked the stats, but it doesn't seem like the starters are getting the strikeouts they had last season. It is more like they're pitching to contact so far this year. I wonder if that is be design or just the way it is worked out so far. Pitchers can be more efficient pitching to contact vs. being strikeout guys, a la Greg Maddux. Just curious has anyone else thought about that yet?

--'85.
                      2009 K/9 IP: 9.1
                      2010 K/9 IP: 7.0

2009 W/9 IP: 3.3
                      2010 W/9 IP: 3.4

WHIP 2009: 1.38
                      WHIP 2010: 1.28

Comment

The numbers for the "big 3" starters ...

K/9 IP
                        2009 9.02 (full season - 38 starts)
                        2010 6.31 (after 6 starts)

BB/9 IP
                        2009 2.52
                        2010 2.64

WHIP
                        2009 1.18
                        2010 1.09

2.7 K/9 IP difference. It is very early, but a trend worth watching. BTW, this is not a bad thing. K's are exhilarating, but so are double plays. Getting hitters to hit your pitch early in the count can lead to longer outings by the starters due to reduced pitch count.

--'85.

Comment

K/9 IP

BB/9 IP
                          2009 2.52
                          2010 2.64

WHIP
                          2009 1.18
                          2010 1.09

2.7 K/9 IP difference. It is very early, but a trend worth watching. BTW, this is not a bad thing. K's are exhilarating, but so are double plays. Getting hitters to hit your pitch early in the count can lead to longer outings by the starters due to reduced pitch count.

--'85.
                          I don't know if it a good thing or not. I will say I do think a high-K staff gives you the ability to work out of a little more trouble and the more talented teams will be harder to double up, but I can see your point - K's mean your going to a longer pitch count and you could argue also puts your D asleep at times.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

K/9 IP

BB/9 IP
                            2009 2.52
                            2010 2.64

WHIP
                            2009 1.18
                            2010 1.09

--'85.
                            I don't know if it a good thing or not. I will say I do think a high-K staff gives you the ability to work out of a little more trouble and the more talented teams will be harder to double up, but I can see your point - K's mean your going to a longer pitch count and you could argue also puts your D asleep at times.
                            Without being too much of a stat nerd (which I am), K's are always better than the ball being put into play. If you know anything about the research regarding balls put into play, it's been determined that once a ball is put in play, the outcome is more a product of luck than the skill of the pitcher. In other words, pitchers have FAR more control over strikeouts, walks, and homeruns allowed than they do over what happens once a ball is put into play.

For every Greg Maddux, there are countless pitchers who never make the big leagues because they can't strike enough guys out to be effective.

Comment

Working...
                            X