Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally it's here! South Alabama Classic

Originally posted by KC Shox
    The Shox face the North Florida Ospreys Friday. It may be a match up pitching wise of Kelly versus Kelley.

NF probably will probably throw out Mike Kelly who lost to 14th ranked Ohio State last time out. His line was 4.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 2 earned runs, 4 BB's and 2 K's. We will throw Tim Kelley.

NF is in their 4th season of D1 baseball and start out 1-2 having lost to Ohio State and Richmond with one win against Florida A&M.

We then play Eastern Michigan who we all know by now took one game from the 25th ranked Kansas Stuck-ups. Then we move onto South Alabama who comes into the tourney 2-2 with the two losses coming against Alabama.

We should take this 3-game tourney quite easily. The other teams have all played already so will have knocked off some winter rust, but I think we will be game ready more than ever before thanks to our beautiful indoor practice facility.

I'm looking at winning margins for each game at 6+. We have great starters and I am taking Gene's word that our offense will be exponentially better than last season's.

Pretty good prediction, KC. :wsu_posters:

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
      These games won't be gimmes. There is some solid pitching on these opponents and the Shox have a few unknowns and rust to work through. That said, full-blown practice indoors plus a veteran heavy team should, repeat should, handle these opponents.

There can be no excuses in 2010. On paper, the Shox have a schedule that will challenge them and the veterans who should be able to stay focused. Return to elite status is expected by the fans, let's see if the team can produce.

--'85.
      Rust doesn't appear to be a factor with the offense. Clearly, the ability to take live hitting practice and for the whole squad to work together with bad weather outside was a benefit to starting the season strong. The veterans, esp. McKeever, Lassley, Baez and Bennett, with upper-classman Springer, really left no doubt which team was superior offensively.

The pitching, on the other hand, was somewhat disappointing by Shocker standards. Cooper was good, Kelley and Lowell were below average - both with too many free passes and too many hits. Out of the 'pen, TJ McGreevy very good. The rest of the relievers were lucky the Shox were way ahead. It is going to be a real pisser if we have to struggle with relief pitching again this season.

Was Rem Johnson held back as a potential starter or does he have some injury? I was thinking Smith and Mateychick as mid-week starters.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Don't believe Johnson is injured. I remember hearing him warm up in the USA game I believe. My guess is Brent wanted others (guys back from surgery & Kemp's new almost side arm delivery) to get in & get experience.

Comment

Are Gene and Brent ordering pizzas?

[/img]

Comment

Nope - just talking to one another via phone instead of yelling across the diamond. You know Brent has to save his pipes for later in the game :)

Comment

Are Gene and Brent ordering pizzas?
              I don't know about Brent but I am pretty sure what Gene is doing and it has nothing to do with Pizza.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
              Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Gene is getting a hot tip on another sight-unseen cattle investment.

Comment

Working...
                X