Finally it's here! South Alabama Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally it's here! South Alabama Classic

The Shox face the North Florida Ospreys Friday. It may be a match up pitching wise of Kelly versus Kelley.

NF probably will probably throw out Mike Kelly who lost to 14th ranked Ohio State last time out. His line was 4.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 2 earned runs, 4 BB's and 2 K's. We will throw Tim Kelley.

NF is in their 4th season of D1 baseball and start out 1-2 having lost to Ohio State and Richmond with one win against Florida A&M.

We then play Eastern Michigan who we all know by now took one game from the 25th ranked Kansas Stuck-ups. Then we move onto South Alabama who comes into the tourney 2-2 with the two losses coming against Alabama.

We should take this 3-game tourney quite easily. The other teams have all played already so will have knocked off some winter rust, but I think we will be game ready more than ever before thanks to our beautiful indoor practice facility.

I'm looking at winning margins for each game at 6+. We have great starters and I am taking Gene's word that our offense will be exponentially better than last season's.

Re: Finally it's here! South Alabama Classic

Originally posted by KC Shox
    The Shox face the North Florida Ospreys Friday. It may be a match up pitching wise of Kelly versus Kelley.

NF probably will probably throw out Mike Kelly who lost to 14th ranked Ohio State last time out. His line was 4.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 2 earned runs, 4 BB's and 2 K's. We will throw Tim Kelley.

NF is in their 4th season of D1 baseball and start out 1-2 having lost to Ohio State and Richmond with one win against Florida A&M.

We then play Eastern Michigan who we all know by now took one game from the 25th ranked Kansas Stuck-ups. Then we move onto South Alabama who comes into the tourney 2-2 with the two losses coming against Alabama.

We should take this 3-game tourney quite easily. The other teams have all played already so will have knocked off some winter rust, but I think we will be game ready more than ever before thanks to our beautiful indoor practice facility.

I'm looking at winning margins for each game at 6+. We have great starters and I am taking Gene's word that our offense will be exponentially better than last season's.

Ummmm.......not so much. I know your wife's writing is better than that.

:good:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

Ummmm.......not so much. I know your wife's writing is better than that.

:good:
      You know my wife? Hell yes her writing is better than mine. She's one squared away gal! :good:

Comment

You know my wife? Hell yes her writing is better than mine. She's one squared away gal! :good:
        Not trying to be critical of anyone's wife BUT......... KC I believe your wife has one imperfection.

Comment

KC,

That is definitely not you! That whole post reaks of happy druigs. I wont tell.

Comment

I actually believe KC was mentally stable writing that post.

He's right. We should sweep this baby.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

From the USA website:

MOBILE, Ala. - Following a four-game stretch in three days last weekend, including a sweep of Jackson State in a season-opening doubleheader, University of South Alabama baseball will continue its non-conference schedule this weekend when it hosts the 25th Annual South Alabama Classic.
              The Jaguars will play host to Eastern Michigan (1-1), North Florida (1-2) and Wichita State (0-0) over the weekend, and will play four games over the course of three days for the second consecutive week, with three of the four as a part of the South Alabama Classic.

"I think the tournament is going to be very exciting," USA head coach Steve Kittrell said. "Eastern Michigan split with (no. 25) Kansas to open up the season. North Florida always has a good, solid program, and Wichita State, one of the perennial national powers under Gene Stephenson, is coming in, so it should be a very exciting weekend of baseball."

This year's South Alabama Classic will open with Wichita State taking on North Florida Friday afternoon at 1 p.m. at Stanky Field. USA will host Eastern Michigan at 6 p.m. Friday in its first game of the tournament.

The Jaguars will take the field Saturday afternoon with a 1 p.m. contest against North Florida, which is followed by a 4:30 p.m. matchup between Eastern Michigan and Wichita State.

North Florida and Eastern Michigan will square off Sunday morning at 11 a.m. at Stan Galle Field, on the campus of Spring Hill College. USA will close the tournament against Wichita State at noon Sunday afternoon at Stanky Field. Following their matchup with WSU, the Jags will take on Eastern Michigan at 4 p.m., in a contest which is not part of this year's South Alabama Classic.

USA is 2-1 all-time against EMU, and has not faced the Eagles since 1992, when the Jaguars took two of three games in Lakeland, Fla. EMU enters the weekend 1-1 on the season, after splitting with No. 25 Kansas last weekend.

The Jags have never faced North Florida, who enters the weekend 1-2 after falling to Richmond and No. 14 Ohio State last weekend at the North Florida Classic in Jacksonville. The Ospreys defeated Florida A&M 6-5 in the final game of the tournament to pick up their first win of the season.

Two of the all-time winningest coaches in NCAA Division I history will face off when USA takes on WSU. Kittrell and Wichita State head coach Gene Stephenson enter the weekend with 2,708 combined wins in 60 combined years at their respective schools. Stephenson ranks second among active Division I coaches in wins (1,683), while Kittrell ranks 10th with 1,024. The two have combined for 51 NCAA Regional appearances. When the Jags defeated Jackson State 11-4 in game one of their season-opening doubleheader, Kittrell passed Gary Ward, former Oklahoma State (1978-96) and New Mexico (2001-02), for 48th on the all-time wins list among coaches in all NCAA divisions.

USA is 5-7 all-time against WSU, and last defeated the Shockers 7-6 in 2007 in Wichita, Kan. WSU is 3-1 all-time against the Jags in Mobile, with wins in 1998, 2002 and 2006. USA won its only game against Wichita State in 1994 during the South Alabama Classic.

South Alabama enters the tournament 2-2 after last weekend. The Jaguars swept Jackson State by scoring 22 combined runs in the doubleheader, before falling to Alabama in consecutive days.

"I would feel a lot better if we were 3-1 at this stage, but I think our team played really well, overall, last weekend," Kittrell said. "There were a few mistakes that we have to learn and grow from, but if we do those things and our bullpen gets a little stronger, that will be a big help for us."

USA junior Taylor White leads the Jags at the plate with a .667 batting average. The Jackson, Ala., native ranks first in average, hits (8), runs (6), doubles (2) and on-base percentage (.692). White has hit safely in all four of USA's games this season, and has recorded multiple hits in three of those four. He enters the weekend tied for the team lead in total bases (10) and stolen bases (3).

Jaguar right-handers D.D. Hanks and Garrett Harris earned wins in their first starts of the season last Friday. Hanks went 6.0 innings in game one against Jackson State, allowing just one run on four hits while striking out four. Harris pitched 6.0 shutout innings in game two against Jackson State, and allowed only four hits while striking out four batters.

All of South Alabama's games in the 25th Annual South Alabama Classic will be broadcast on WNSP 105.5 FM in Mobile, and can be accessed across the nation on www.wnsp.com.

For more information about South Alabama athletics, check back with www.usajaguars.com. Season tickets for all Jaguar athletic events can be purchased by calling (251) 461-1USA (1872).
              GO SHOX!
              Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse
                KC,

That is definitely not you! That whole post reaks of happy druigs. I wont tell.
                Please Note: KC has made this post PRIOR to any games having been played.

;-)

Comment

These games won't be gimmes. There is some solid pitching on these opponents and the Shox have a few unknowns and rust to work through. That said, full-blown practice indoors plus a veteran heavy team should, repeat should, handle these opponents.

There can be no excuses in 2010. On paper, the Shox have a schedule that will challenge them and the veterans who should be able to stay focused. Return to elite status is expected by the fans, let's see if the team can produce.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Opening day lineup for the Shocks vs. a LHP:

1. Kevin Hall CF
                    2. Erik Harbutz 3B
                    3. Will Baez 2B
                    4. Clint McKeever 1B
                    5. Preston Springer DH
                    6. Cody Lassley C
                    7. Ryan Jones RF
                    8. Bret Bascue LF
                    9. Tyler Grimes SS
                    Pitching - Tim Kelley RHP

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU
                      Opening day lineup for the Shocks vs. a LHP:

1. Kevin Hall CF
                      2. Erik Harbutz 3B
                      3. Will Baez 2B
                      4. Clint McKeever 1B
                      5. Preston Springer DH
                      6. Cody Lassley C
                      7. Ryan Jones RF
                      8. Bret Bascue LF
                      9. Tyler Grimes SS
                      Pitching - Tim Kelley RHP
                      Bascue in LF surprises me.

Comment

Bascue in LF surprises me.
                        LH starter for NF.

As soon as they brought in a RH reliever Bennett was in the game.

Comment

So where were you and the coach eating tonite?

Comment

So where were you and the coach eating tonite?
                            Just went to Outback next to the hotel tonight.

We will be headed to Dreamland tomorrow after the game and Ed's on Sunday.

Waffle House was great this morning.

Drove by the USS Alabama today, they have moved the German submarine out of the water / bay and it is displayed above ground now.

Comment

Do the South Alabama French get a bit nervous around the German sub?

Comment

Working...
                              X