No announcement yet.

DBU valley addition for baseball only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In regards to who the Valley favorite will be, the coaches say WSU. Goshockers.com for details.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
      Originally posted by ShockerFever
      My hope that WSU is going to at least contender for the MVC title (I don't think they will be the favorite) and I hope they will position themselves to have a chance for at-large. And if the "if's and buts" turn into candy and nuts maybe WSU will be top 25 team this year.
      Just curious as to who will be the Valley favorite this year?
      If you ask the MVC coaches, I think they will select MSU to be the preseason favorite lead by their pre-season all-american Aaron Meade. I don't know what CU has coming back.

I think BA in their conference previews will select WSU to win the conference.
      MSU lost a TON, even more than we did 2 years ago.

I get that you're a bit down on WSU based on last year. I am too. But we'll be the favorite this year.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

And just as longlimbs said, the coaches agree.. overwhelmingly..

WICHITA, Kan. ? The Wichita State baseball team has been voted first in the annual Missouri Valley Conference baseball preseason coaches poll, announced Feb. 2 by the league office.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman
          Thumbs down on this for sure. The good news is that UMKC is supposed to add Baseball in 2012 so we can add them too. The Valley is heading in the wrong direction.

I get wanting to play DBU. They are a fine baseball school. Why not just schedule an annual 3 game series with them?
          apples to oranges

UMKC plays D1 in all thier sports. UMKC sucks big ones in all thier sports.

DBU plays one sport in D1. DBU is very good at that one sport.

Comment

I don't know how these agreements would be written up, but I would think that the Valley could, and would, have some sort of minimal performance clause given the situation of admitting a DII school into a DI conference for the only DI sport they compete in. By the way, it's not "once their in, their in for good" it's "once THEY'RE in, THEY'RE in for good". Why would you say this would be a one way street only and they Valley not have any say in removing them if things didn't work out?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman
              Thumbs down on this for sure. The good news is that UMKC is supposed to add Baseball in 2012 so we can add them too. The Valley is heading in the wrong direction.

I get wanting to play DBU. They are a fine baseball school. Why not just schedule an annual 3 game series with them?
              Silly, silly, unless you're being sarcastic about UMKC. KC area < Dallas for baseball by about a factor of 10.

As for scheduling, that would be a good question for Gene or Kemnitz -- but inasmuch as they do this for a living and it would be an obvious RPI upgrade, there's a good chance they're way ahead of you and have not found it possible, probably because of the return trip to Wichita they'd insist upon getting. That's the nice thing about having DBU in conference play: they have to make the trip every other year.

Comment

My hope that WSU is going to at least contender for the MVC title (I don't think they will be the favorite) and I hope they will position themselves to have a chance for at-large. And if the "if's and buts" turn into candy and nuts maybe WSU will be top 25 team this year.
                Just curious as to who will be the Valley favorite this year?
                If you ask the MVC coaches, I think they will select MSU to be the preseason favorite lead by their pre-season all-american Aaron Meade. I don't know what CU has coming back.

I think BA in their conference previews will select WSU to win the conference.
                MSU lost a TON, even more than we did 2 years ago.
                True that MSU did, but still have some good guys left (3 all-valley guys compared to 2 for WSU). It is funny that WSU gets picked to be the preseason favorite, but CU and MSU get 3 players on the pre-season all-valley team.

I get that you're a bit down on WSU based on last year. I am too. But we'll be the favorite this year.
                I was shocked as I re-acquainted myself with the results and stats from last year. It was so much worse than I remembered it.

It is good to see that WSU is the preseason favorite. It means nobody else has real confidence in themselves and want to be under the radar and ride WSU coattails. But here is the thing, WSU gets picked first but only get 2 players on the All-Valley team, but CU and MSU get 3. BS, double BS.

Elliot Soto over Tyler Grimes - that stupid

Soto 0.322/0.369/0.360 1 HR
                Grimes 0.294/0.399/0.467 5 HR

I would take Grimes over Soto any day.

Bryant George over either Tim Kelley - another stupid

Bryan George - Didn't even start last year. Opponents hit 0.303 on him. Only pitched 28 innings, gave up 33 hits and only struck out 21. George is a 1 trick pitcher (fastball).

George ERA 3.21, WHIP 1.43, K/W 3.0, K/9 IP 6.8 Opp BA 0.303
                Kelley ERA 2.86, WHIP 1.11, K/W 4.6, K/9 IP 9.7 Opp BA 0.233

It is this type of crap that just make me wish we would see a WSU team that came out and just pummeled everybody in the MVC unmercifully.

Comment

I think that is going to happen alot this year.

Comment

More discussion on DBU with the pros and cons laid out.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

I think we can assume from the Shockwaves intro for the UE game that Paul is in favor of adding DBU to the MVC.

Smart man.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89
                        I think we can assume from the Shockwaves intro for the UE game that Paul is in favor of adding DBU to the MVC.

Smart man.
                        The article also points to that it doesn't matter what baseball coaches think - it is the administrators who make the ultimate decision and there are people against it for these reasons:

1. Travel costs

2. They are afraid that if you add a quality team to the conference, it will make it harder for the "conference teams" to make in to the NCAA.

That typify the overall MVC thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89

Smart man.
                          The article also points to that it doesn't matter what baseball coaches think - it is the administrators who make the ultimate decision and there are people against it for these reasons:

1. Travel costs

2. They are afraid that if you add a quality team to the conference, it will make it harder for the "conference teams" to make in to the NCAA.

That typify the overall MVC thinking.
                          I agree. If we put ourselves in shoes of a DBU fan, is this the smartest move? College baseball is a limited on scholarships and DBU is not like us when it comes to their athletic budget. We make money or break even on baseball, and our men's basketball is profitable.

I doubt DBU has any sport which generates positive revenue. Expenses for their baseball squad to travel to Indiana and Illinois would be staggering for them not to mention the time on the road would be taxing for their players.

Comment

But...

And yet DBU wants to do it, KC. Do you think those concerns haven't occurred to them?

The disadvantages of being outside a conference are so great that whatever costs come with playing in the MVC are worth it, in their minds.

Comment

Working...
                            X