Johnny Hits A Bomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Hits A Bomb

Johnny Coy's St. Joseph Mustangs are trying to get to the NBC Tournament through the Central Regional Tournament. Last night Johnny hit a long, grand slam.

Re: Johnny Hits A Bomb

Originally posted by BleedsGold
    Johnny Coy's St. Joseph Mustangs are trying to get to the NBC Tournament through the Central Regional Tournament. Last night Johnny hit a long, grand slam.

http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2009/j...ustangs-rout/?
    "Coy’s grand slam cleared the 365-foot sign, then sailed over the scoreboard.

“That was a missile,” said Mustang’s manager Matt Johnson. “It was out of there in a hurry and cleared the fence by 40 or 50 feet.”"

I like it... I like it a lot!
    :good: :good:
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

WstateU?

Could you kindly re-post in a readable color? My eyes can't handle yellow against the background on my machine. Thanks.

Comment

Re: WstateU?

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
        Could you kindly re-post in a readable color? My eyes can't handle yellow against the background on my machine. Thanks.
        No problem Watcher... ;-)

“That was a missile,” said Mustang’s manager Matt Johnson. “It was out of there in a hurry and cleared the fence by 40 or 50 feet.”"

I like it... I like it a lot! :good: :good:

I like it... I like it a lot! :good: :good:

Comment

Coy's Baseball Season

An internet search showed an article in a St Joe Paper that said the Mustang baseball season is over. From that, one has to conclude that they are not coming to the NBC tournament in Wichita this summer. And, we can then infer that Johnny Coy will be over here soon taking part in summer basketball scrimmages.

Comment

Re: Coy's Baseball Season

Originally posted by xazshox
            An internet search showed an article in a St Joe Paper that said the Mustang baseball season is over. From that, one has to conclude that they are not coming to the NBC tournament in Wichita this summer. And, we can then infer that Johnny Coy will be over here soon taking part in summer basketball scrimmages.
            Is it within the rules for a team to pick-up Johnny for the NBC tournament?

Comment

Yes Yes it is.
              First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Do you guys think that at some point Coy will be exclusively a WSU baseball player and forego basketball?

I give him credit, he's uniquely talented in both disciplines. However, most D1 basketball coaches aren't exactly enthused with basketball players spending their offseason and summer away from basketball. Especially guys that are supposed to play the PF position and may need to add strength. It seems like modern D1 basketball has such an emphasis on weight room work and every coach (and Marshall certainly seems to be in this category) puts such a great emphasis on summer workouts. Several years ago, I don't think this was the case at all, but it does seem to be the current trend.

When a basketball scholarship is paying the tuition, at some point will the hoops coach say, "we'd like to see a little more emphasis spent on basketball. You can play baseball in the spring until the season ends, but then I'd like you to do all of the workouts, etc. that the other basketball players are doing?"

I'm not trying to start anything, I just think its an interesting discussion. I was wondering what people thought?

Comment

I don't have a problem with what's going on considering his future appears to be baseball. We'll find out this winter how it's affected him on the court though. If he can help on the court and continue to play baseball I'm fine with that. We don't appear to be lacking post talent from what I can tell and if that's where Coy projects than he's the one who has to fight for it. If he ends up being a bust on the court then maybe a decision will need to be made. I don't see that being the case though.

I would love to have him in town this summer working out and playing with the guys, but I completely understand his situation.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

DJA, it sounds like your speculation takes the position that the basketball staff has not projected out the possibilities. I'm confident that if Marshall and company gave him a scholarship knowing that he would be playing summer baseball, they are prepared to accept that for as long as Coy is at WSU.

Comment

Who says that Coy hasn't been working out some this summer while he was playing baseball. Remember that he has from now through the end of the first semester to work out and get in bb shape. That will, hopefully, take care of this year.

Now, next year is a question mark. Over the following summers, if he wants to play baseball, he may well have to really work out with the weights as well because you know that Marshall will expect him to be in playing shape come the end of August (or there may be no more summer baseball).

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                        DJA, it sounds like your speculation takes the position that the basketball staff has not projected out the possibilities. I'm confident that if Marshall and company gave him a scholarship knowing that he would be playing summer baseball, they are prepared to accept that for as long as Coy is at WSU.
                        True enough Royal, true enough. However, people have been known to change their minds.

Comment

Two sport athletes can still accel at the collegiate level, even in this new era of weight training.

Case in point: Jeff Samardzija, formerly of Notre Dame, currently with the Cubbies.

Comment

It all comes down to communication between the programs. There are certainly methods that can satisfy both coaches.

Comment

Its almost like I had inside information. ;-)

Ultimately, I think this is probably better for Coy, the WSU hoops program and the WSU baseball program.

Comment

Working...
                              X