Players Leaving the Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockfan89_
    Fair enough. But have we done this before?
    I think WSU has done this every year in fact. Maybe it hasn't been to this magnitude (mainly because the program hasn't many years like last year). I think it just happens like in B-Ball - at the end of the season coaches meet with players and say:

"hey, your 4th on the depth chart at 2nd but would love to have you stay for depth but you are not going to play, but if you would like to go somewhere where you can get playing time we can contact some coaches we know...."

Comment

Yes I am sure that happens every year, I was talking about taking away scholarship money. Has that been done before? I think the answer is no.

Comment

It's a shame that these boys were told that their scholarships would never be taken away and they were. Maldonado was never really given a chance. He pitched in the midweek games which were tougher than any MVC games. Rosecranz was drafted out of high school as a catcher and was told he would catch at WSU when he was recruited. He got to WSU and was never given a chance to catch. T. Brown had the highest batting average on the team. He had 16 multiple hit games and a 9 hit hitting streak and the only 5 for 5 game. He was moved everywhere on the field--in positions that he had never played and they never worked with him on and if he made an error he was benched unlike others that made errors. There were 6 others that had their scholarships taken away also but haven't been named. They chose to stay because it was WSU baseball. The 5 that left didn't all leave because of money, they left because of the way they were treated by the coaches and because they could go elsewhere and actually get to play their positions. From what I hear Kyle Sisney and Taylor Brown are both going to the University of Central Oklahoma and will play the infield together. Don't believe everything you hear about the 5 that are leaving and don't think for a minute that they wanted to leave but they weren't going to walk on because Gene asked them to. How absurd is that when they can go elsewhere and get pretty much of a full ride. Anyway, good luck to those 5. They are good kids and will do well whever they go.

Comment

The new NCAA rules made it necessary to release a number of players. If you are so much in love with the ones that were released whom who have you recommended. WSU had no choice so get used to it.

Comment

yup blame the NCAA, not Gene
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by ticktock
              It's a shame that these boys were told that their scholarships would never be taken away and they were. Maldonado was never really given a chance. He pitched in the midweek games which were tougher than any MVC games. Rosecranz was drafted out of high school as a catcher and was told he would catch at WSU when he was recruited. He got to WSU and was never given a chance to catch. T. Brown had the highest batting average on the team. He had 16 multiple hit games and a 9 hit hitting streak and the only 5 for 5 game. He was moved everywhere on the field--in positions that he had never played and they never worked with him on and if he made an error he was benched unlike others that made errors. There were 6 others that had their scholarships taken away also but haven't been named. They chose to stay because it was WSU baseball. The 5 that left didn't all leave because of money, they left because of the way they were treated by the coaches and because they could go elsewhere and actually get to play their positions. From what I hear Kyle Sisney and Taylor Brown are both going to the University of Central Oklahoma and will play the infield together. Don't believe everything you hear about the 5 that are leaving and don't think for a minute that they wanted to leave but they weren't going to walk on because Gene asked them to. How absurd is that when they can go elsewhere and get pretty much of a full ride. Anyway, good luck to those 5. They are good kids and will do well whever they go.
              Family member?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCity
                Originally posted by ticktock
                Family member?
                Bingo. :good:
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Family member or not I can't believe that ANYONE would be told that their scholarship would NEVER be taken from them. Scholarships are renewable from year to year and from what I understood %'s were also adjusted from time to time. I'm sure that some of them did not get to play where they wanted and some of them were not going to get to play where they wanted next year but that is the way life is.

Comment

Look at http://www.shockernet.net/sn/viewtopic.php?t=13175; there is some baseball news in the link (in my last post in that thread). :D
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Johnny Coy is using a basketball scholarship to attend WSU. Does he count in our total when adding up the baseball players on scholarship?

Good luck to all the guys who will be playing elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by shockball
                        Johnny Coy is using a basketball scholarship to attend WSU. Does he count in our total when adding up the baseball players on scholarship?

My guess is that he would be considered a walk-on for baseball and count towards the 35, but not the 27.

Comment

My guess is that he would be considered a walk-on for baseball and count towards the 35, but not the 27.

I don't know but would guess the exact opposite. He is going to school on an athletic scholarship, so I bet the NCAA counts him towards the 27.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

I don't know but would guess the exact opposite. He is going to school on an athletic scholarship, so I bet the NCAA counts him towards the 27.
                            My understanding is that if a player is on scholarship for any sport and plays football, the scholarship is deemed to be a football ship; similarly for basketball, a player who participates in two or more sports and has a scholarship, it is deemed to be basketball; all other sports, the school names the sport.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Coy definitely doesn't count towards the baseball 'ship limit since he's on a basketball 'ship.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

THe ONLY thing Johnny will count towards is the roster limit,Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X