Players Leaving the Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
    From what I have heard I think there will be a few more to follow.
    If you do the math on the scholly limits, it's not hard to come to that conclusion.

Comment

indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
        EXACTLY ROYAL!!
        Reminds me of the joke about the 'zackleys'. :blink:
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

By my count they are down to 36. One being GG if and when he signs then down to 35. Eight being walk on's. Who are they? We may never know.
          First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

The President, oops I mean Gene sounds a little dissengenuous in the article, I mean did he not know about these limits before he recruited and signed 10 new players for next year? Just sayin' if you really don't do this kinda thing then you shouldn't do this kinda thing right?
            THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by William
              The President, oops I mean Gene sounds a little dissengenuous in the article, I mean did he not know about these limits before he recruited and signed 10 new players for next year? Just sayin' if you really don't do this kinda thing then you shouldn't do this kinda thing right?
              Get back to us when KSuck has a Nat'l Championship in any sport. Thank you and goodnight.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10
                By my count they are down to 36. One being GG if and when he signs then down to 35. Eight being walk on's. Who are they? We may never know.
                With the NCAA scholarship limits - is there much difference between walk-on and the players getting partial scholarships?

Comment

Math

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                  From what I have heard I think there will be a few more to follow.
                  According to Wednesday's article, it's already happened. Some guys have given up scholarship aid but asked that it not be publicized.

SB, at a state school and for an in-state player, the difference is not huge between 1/3 scholarship (which I believe is the minimum under the new NCAA rule, although I'm not absolutely certain about that) and zero (i.e., walking on). But it is something, and especially for some guys and families, every dollar counts.

Comment

I think you make a good point, but I believe we witnessed the effects this year of being caught by having a bunch of unexpected signings after the 2008 season. I think the point was that we have never done this.

I think the coaching staff did the right thing by signing 10 new players. Were you happy with last year's production? I think you would have criticized them for doing nothing if they hadn't made the necessary changes...

Comment

Re: Math

Originally posted by WSUwatcher

SB, at a state school and for an in-state player, the difference is not huge between 1/3 scholarship (which I believe is the minimum under the new NCAA rule, although I'm not absolutely certain about that) and zero (i.e., walking on). But it is something, and especially for some guys and families, every dollar counts.

It's 25%, not 33%. It was going to be 1/3 but the coaches appealed and got that part lowered.

Comment

Once again, the nub from the kitchen brings nothing to the table.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Re: Math

Originally posted by CharlieHog

It's 25%, not 33%. It was going to be 1/3 but the coaches appealed and got that part lowered.
                          Thanks for the correction, Charlie.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_
                            I think you make a good point, but I believe we witnessed the effects this year of being caught by having a bunch of unexpected signings after the 2008 season. I think the point was that we have never done this.

I think the coaching staff did the right thing by signing 10 new players. Were you happy with last year's production? I think you would have criticized them for doing nothing if they hadn't made the necessary changes...
                            I personally don't have a problem with them signing 10 new players and cutting the dead wood, I do however bristle whenever people take a holier than thou stance like ( We don't take schollies away like some programs do) and then flip-flop later. The whole pitcher use debate strikes me the same way, but whatever.
                            THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Fair enough. But have we done this before? I am sure there is a time or two but I am betting this is the first time we have had this many. Does one time in 30 plus years make a trend? If we do this again next year I agree that our coaches better quit saying we don't do this. Up until this year I think it was a true statement.

Do you think we overuse our pitches? I know we stretch starting pitchers late in the year to over 120 but I don't think we have ever had a gross pitch count or brought a guy back on short rest to win a regional or super regional. I think there will always be debate on what is overuse, but sometimes everyone agrees that a coach is just being reckless. I have never felt that our coaches have come close to reckless. In fact, I have been on them to take a little more risk most years...

Comment

Opinions:

William, There are only TWO things Shockers Don't Do About What you have a problem with or think,and BOTH OF THEM ARE CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X