For, Against, or Personal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trigger
    In 1982 they were in the college world series so the number of non-D1 games is really insignificant other than Gene's win total. I guess you can call Gene old school, the players are different now, this team is young or whatever you want to but the train is no longer on the tracks.

They lost several starters to the draft from last years team but even if you go back to last year what did they really accomplish? A super regional appearance against a team that was head and shoulders above them. I was at the championship game between the cowpokes and Shocks and I knew it didn't matter who won that game because whichever team won was going to be Florida States road to the CWS.

I think what appears to be obvious is Gene cannot field a team to compete with today's college baseball environment. You cannot score 1-5 runs and expect to win and go to the CWS. The game is now built around hitting and he has not adapted.
    I too was at the OSU Regional last year. I thought WSU had a great chance to make it to the CWS simply because of their pitching.
    Stephenson IS WSU baseball. Stephenson also seems to be a very loyal man to his players, coaches, and program. However....
    There seems to be a weak link this year with Jim Thomas. Stephenson is top shelf, Kemnitz is top shelf. Isn't Thomas in charge of infield defense and hitting? Thomas has contributed a lot to WSU baseball both as a player (great infielder and hitter) and a coach. But as a coach in charge of defense, hitting, and a major influence on recruiting, Thomas has not had a good year. I expect next year, we'll be back on track.

Comment

Keep Gene....but find a replacement for JT.

Comment

I didn't realize we had 14 people that are that stupid... Well, now I know.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
          That would be a good compromise, at least for now

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
            I'm not sure if he needs to be replaced just yet. He had one of the top 2 or 3 WSU hitting and fielding teams within the past 3-4 years. Clearly we had a poor year when measured against WSU standards. I hope that JT gives an explanation on what happened, and what changes we can expect for next year. The silent treatment won't work. We support the program and deserve to know what kind of changes in players/strategy/training/recruiting methods we can expect to see so we won't have to sit through another poor season.

Comment

Gene is not going to replace JT.

I also think some are behing to hard on JT. He may not be Charlie Lau but I don't think the issue is really with instruction, but based on comment from H.C. comments is really more of a issue of players who think they know everything, have to much pride, are selfish and maybe are not coachable.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

I also think some are behing to hard on JT. He may not be Charlie Lau but I don't think the issue is really with instruction, but based on comment from H.C. comments is really more of a issue of players who think they know everything, have to much pride, are selfish and maybe are not coachable.
                If we really did our job recruiting, we wouldn't be getting these head cases.
                Go back to looking for nine Kevin Hoopers to put on the field.

Comment

This from yesterday's opinion line in the Eagle (and no I didn't say it):

Maybe Gene Stephenson needs to start coaching T-ball. I can't believe WSU's athletic director allows Stephenson's negative comments about the team he recruited.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax

How about Kevin Hooper for head coach some day?

Comment

I guess I'm having trouble believing that they have an entire team of these guys. I could understand a few, but not the whole team.

It still doesn't change the issue that maybe the staff needs to take a better approach. I know I'd sure as heck like to be belittled to the media every night I play. NOT! Either Tuesday or Wednesday, Gene even took a shot at a specific individual without using his name. But from what he said, anyone who was at the game would have known who he was talking about.

Comment

I guess I'm having trouble believing that they have an entire team of these guys. I could understand a few, but not the whole team.

It still doesn't change the issue that maybe the staff needs to take a better approach. I know I'd sure as heck like to be belittled to the media every night I play. NOT! Either Tuesday or Wednesday, Gene even took a shot at a specific individual without using his name. But from what he said, anyone who was at the game would have known who he was talking about.
                        This is unacceptable, the selfishness apparently starts at the top, Coaches have to have players backs, players have to have coaches backs, this is a fundamental of being a team, obviously we've had success in the past without this key ingredient but it doesn't make this me me, sluff off the blame atmosphere right or productive.
                        THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

That is all just crap. going to the Regional final or to the Superregional is "competing" with the last 32 or 16 teams in the country, which we have done about the last 5 years. So what day in the last 11 months did you whizkids suppose that Gene lost that ability. The great thing about this is that in a relative short time, we will be back in the thick of it and you willl have jumped the gun again. This is not the first time Gene has been pronounced dead and there was another time before he temporarily left for OK that the same things were being said and the same guys were broken the GS was leaving. How do you think this plays with our recruits and potential recruits that you're ready to string up the most successful coach in College baseball. Fanmas you are a moron but not a Shocker.

Comment

This is unacceptable, the selfishness apparently starts at the top, Coaches have to have players backs, players have to have coaches backs, this is a fundamental of being a team, obviously we've had success in the past without this key ingredient but it doesn't make this me me, sluff off the blame atmosphere right or productive.
                            nailed it..... it starts from the top.

:good:
                            although the best things in life are free, upgrades are usually available

Comment

The ground work is being laid at LDS starting this season.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu

The ground work is being laid at LDS starting this season.
                                I'd rather see him hired as hitting coach so he can start learing how to run a program...but I think he's taking the pro manager route and won't be a college coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X