No announcement yet.

Game 3 Indiana state v. WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were several factors that contributed to this frustrating year.

1. Several players expected to contribute this year were drafted and left after last seaon even though they were not drafted very high. Some were given crazy money for their draft position. You can't recruit much when a guy signs in August and school starts in September. Just the way it is.

2. A couple players signed out of high school. This happens every year but all indications were that Logan Watkins was going to come to school until the last minute.

3. Injuries to pitchers and Kevn Hall.

Some of this happens every year but this year we had all three. Kind of the "perfect storm". You can't really blame recruiting because the last two seasons have been 2 of the highest ranked in Shocker baseball history. Turgeon just didn't recruit good players his final year. Big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox

If Micah Greene and Garrett Gould don't play for the Shox next season, we are in deep do-do.
      I heard today on KGSO that Garrett Gould is a projected 1st or 2nd round guy. That probably wouldn't be good news. Although checking BA top 100 prospects, no Shocker is showing up in the Top 100 as of yet. Gould shows up as the #57 H.S. prospect. But they are dated list and don't account for this springs action.

Comment

Gould and Green are both first team lousiville slugger preseason all americans.

Comment

Ah... memo to coaching staff: recruit like Micah and Garrett won't be here, wouldn't want to get blindsided again.
          THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by William
            Ah... memo to coaching staff: recruit like Micah and Garrett won't be here, wouldn't want to get blindsided again.
            I think you're trying to oversimplify a rather complicated situation.

If only you could be the WSU head man for a day..
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I want some damn power... even if its just one hitter. I want a moffit or just a guy who can go yack bout 20 times per season. I know Coach doesn't recruit that type of player but why not just one??? Get ur speed and defense (this yr's team doesn't play too good of defense) for the rest of the roster but gimme some power!!!! BTW: Gould gets the loss tonight against goddard after allowing only 3 hits. Maize lost 1-0 that first game.
              Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                Originally posted by William
                I think you're trying to oversimplify a rather complicated situation.

If only you could be the WSU head man for a day..
                sorry, no oversimplification here, Garret has good size and blows 95, 99% of kids like him sign. Don't hold your breath.

You can call me Bill

Comment

This recruiting problem is simple, quit trying to get Derek Jeter to go to college. If a guy you are recruiting to come to Wichita runs like a gazelle, has a cannon for an arm, and hits to all fields for power, save your breath and move on for christs sake.

Get fat kids that can hit on the corners, speedy little runts that make contact up the middle, stick with current philosophy with pitchers, and look for kids that have passion for the game like Hooper.

If you recruit like this nobody signs and you have three years to polish them up. The runts get with Rosenboom and develop, The fat kids slim down and develop, we hit better which is really the key, I think you got a better chance taking a hefty kid and teaching him to field at 1st or 3rd than you do taking a speed kid and trying to teach him to hit.

You can call me Bill

Comment

William = Willie the Wildcat

If you had been the recruiting "genius" for WSU, we'd have a 40 game losing streak to your favorite team---- which by the way happens to wear purple.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas

If you had been the recruiting "genius" for WSU, we'd have a 40 game losing streak to your favorite team---- which by the way happens to wear purple.
                      I could be wrong but I think William might be referring to some of the good hitters from the Wichita area who WSU didn't even pursue because they didn't fit a specific body mold, have blazing speed, or weren't "projectable" - they were just good hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

I could be wrong but I think William might be referring to some of the good hitters from the Wichita area who WSU didn't even pursue because they didn't fit a specific body mold, have blazing speed, or weren't "projectable" - they were just good hitters.
                        If he wasn't, it sure does fit what you said. I have heard that in the past but didn't know if it had merit or not.

Comment

I actually think William is right, but maybe there's another side to this argument. What if Derek Jeter decides he should go to college BEFORE giving pro baseball a try so in case it doesn't work out he'll have something to fall back on or his parents REALLY believe college is the way to go (i.e. Darren Dreifort)? If you assume he'll get drafted and sign and don't at least make an offer, you're doing the program a disservice.

Some have disparaged the BCS baseball recruiting mentality, but how about this ... go ahead and continue to recruit the top-flite guys PLUS the very good guys and load-up the program beyond the roster limits. Use fall workouts to build the roster for spring and send the leftovers packing.

Sounds pretty harsh, but that's how the big boys do it. That way, when the get 2 or 3 pro signings out of their recruiting classes, they're not left scrambling during the summer to fill the roster.

No doubt, Gene won't change, but it's just a thought. WSU is BIG-TIME baseball, so why not act like it in every way and become as arrogant as the BCS programs?

One more thing on this, recently it seems that teams which have been pretty successful have quite a few seniors on the roster. Clearly, these aren't blue chip players, but the 4 (or 5) seasons in the programs payoff in success. Maybe, just maybe, in college baseball experience is more valuable (or at least of equal value) to God-given talent.

--'85.
                          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                            I actually think William is right, but maybe there's another side to this argument. What if Derek Jeter decides he should go to college BEFORE giving pro baseball a try so in case it doesn't work out he'll have something to fall back on or his parents REALLY believe college is the way to go (i.e. Darren Dreifort)? If you assume he'll get drafted and sign and don't at least make an offer, you're doing the program a disservice.

Some have disparaged the BCS baseball recruiting mentality, but how about this ... go ahead and continue to recruit the top-flite guys PLUS the very good guys and load-up the program beyond the roster limits. Use fall workouts to build the roster for spring and send the leftovers packing.

Sounds pretty harsh, but that's how the big boys do it. That way, when the get 2 or 3 pro signings out of their recruiting classes, they're not left scrambling during the summer to fill the roster.

No doubt, Gene won't change, but it's just a thought. WSU is BIG-TIME baseball, so why not act like it in every way and become as arrogant as the BCS programs?

One more thing on this, recently it seems that teams which have been pretty successful have quite a few seniors on the roster. Clearly, these aren't blue chip players, but the 4 (or 5) seasons in the programs payoff in success. Maybe, just maybe, in college baseball experience is more valuable (or at least of equal value) to God-given talent.

--'85.
                            I agree, I think college basketball is going to see a change like this also. If you are a guy at KU like Releford or the Juco swing man from last year, forget his name, anyway a 3.5-4 star guy you better think twice about going to a top tier school like that because you may sit behind a stud junior your first two years and just when you are set to take the floor your junior year Ol' Bill signs a one and done at your position and you are hosed
                            Just look at all the talent that won't play for Ku next year, some of those guys might be thinking it would be better to be a MVC stud than sit and watch Xavier Henry play your senior year.

Mario Little is the juco guys name.

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85

--'85.
                              Isn't that why Gene didn't stay at Oklahoma? I have wondered why he has stuck to his way of things while most of the bigger programs do exactly what you are talking about. I understand that he has his way of things, but don't you survive and get farther by adapting?

Comment

Working...
                              X