Buster Posey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever
    I don't care who's behind this guy. Walk him if there's a base open or we start digging holes.

Thats my humble opinion anyways..

I don't know. It depends on the situation. Playing a team with .460 OBP and a .570 slugging percentage makes it really difficult to put guys on intentionally. Probably can't let him be the one to hurt you late in the game, but the rest of that lineup probably dictates that you have to at least try to find a way to get him out early.

Hunt made him look bad on three breaking balls with two on and no out in the game Monday night. Of course those were plus breaking balls from a guy that's going to be drafted very early, but still possibly a hole?

Comment

I say man up and pitch to him. I think our guys got the stuff to handle him. I recall alex gordon coming in here and going 0/5 at least once. look if you have to walk him then fine but lets do it by throwing outside and not intentionally walking him. I don't anticipate our guys backing down to anyone at the plate. I know our pitchers are gonna relish the chance to go at him. Thats the kind of guys we have. I wouldn't trade them for anyone.

Comment

Gene needs to have the NCAA check to see Buster Posey has had any contact with agents, like he did to get Oliver ineligable just in the nick of time...

Comment

"I say man up and pitch to him"

I like this idea...please pass it along to the coaches ;-) . I know yall have some outstanding pitchers and may get a K or two on him this weekend. But in the long run (an expected 10-15 at bats over the weekend). He is going to do some damage.

The thing about this FSU team is...I have never seen a team do as much damage as this one does with two outs or in the latter parts of games. This group has a lot of young players who play really out of love for the game. Often times at a school like FSU or one of the other "big" schools, we get guys who maybe decided to go to school just because they didnt get drafted high enough and all they are thinking about is getting to the next level. Three years ago, with Buster, we got a player who could have probably gone in the first 10 rounds, but made it absolutely clear that he was going to college no matter where he was drafted. Due to this, he slipped WAY back. Since then we have gotten a few more players (for different reasons) that have chosen school over the money.

This team really has a lot of heart, the kids are playing baseball to play baseball, not to make it to the next level. They are all very close. The young guys really look up to the older guys and are not just thinking they are the next big thing. Buster is the unquestioned leader on this team and the players would do anything for him and they are all playing to get him to Omaha, where he hasnt been.

If I could pick 2 atheletes to represent FSU, they would be Buster and Walter Dix, not just because of their on field accolades but more, their off the field personalities.

I got way off track with what I was saying, my point intended to be, often we get players that just want money and they feel they have to go to college to make more. Some smaller schools have kids with heart and we have fallen to those teams because that heart can sometimes outweigh the talent in baseball. Gene Stephenson built WSU up on kids with heart and now obviously you get the big talent with heart. This FSU team seems to have a good combination as well. It almost has that small school team feel, with a lot of talent.

Comment

Just pitch to the guy. Does it really matter when it comes to that lineup. Everyone mashes on FSU. So you'll walk him to get to a guy who is hitting .385 for example, what difference does it make. Just kidding, Gene walked ole Pete I. at OSU back in the day for the same reasons, do it to this guy if the circumstance presents itself.

Buster is going to like anything Wichita after this series. He's going to destroy us, then he'll come to Wichita when the season is over to pick up his Johhny Bench Award.

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
              I say man up and pitch to him. I think our guys got the stuff to handle him. I recall alex gordon coming in here and going 0/5 at least once. look if you have to walk him then fine but lets do it by throwing outside and not intentionally walking him. I don't anticipate our guys backing down to anyone at the plate. I know our pitchers are gonna relish the chance to go at him. Thats the kind of guys we have. I wouldn't trade them for anyone.
              Yeah we've seen better. :sarcasm:

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe Musgrave struck Gordon out 3 times in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales

Does it help that Musgrave and Gordon was a lefty-on-lefty matchup? Buster is a right handed hitter I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                    Originally posted by 7hottamales

Does it help that Musgrave and Gordon was a lefty-on-lefty matchup? Buster is a right handed hitter I believe.
                    It certainly helps a ton. Check out Gordon's splits. I'd imagine he hit leftys better in college, but he is definitively weaker against a LH with solid secondary pitches.

Regardless if my memory is correct, that was a pretty impressive accomplishment for a freshman against the best hitter in college baseball.

Comment

The MLB site has him projected at #5 to SF.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

He will not be number 1.

Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

I think very few of us thought he'd be No. 1 - but we're proud of him for being a projected high pick.

Comment

I for hope KC does grab him if the pirates dont
                            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I think KC will do fine with either Hosmer, Smoak or Posey.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                                The MLB site has him projected at #5 to SF.
                                The MLB site was right!
                                www.myspace.com/clarensau
                                it's what i do

Comment

Working...
                                X