No announcement yet.

Major League Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert "Tyler" Weber drafted in the 30th Round by Detroit Tigers.

:goshocks: :wsu_posters:

Comment

• Brian Flynn drafted 262 of 18 round Boston.
      First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

• Josh Workman taken 1153rd by the Tigers in round 38. Thanks David Chadd!! :good:
        "You can observe a lot just by watching."
        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

• FYI, Charlie Lowell from Winfield, Mo was taken by the Rangers in the 27th round, 813th overall.

My dad umpired one of his games this year behind the plate and said he's as good as anyone he has seen this season at any level in Missouri, and that's saying something. I think you guys are overlooking him a little. I saw Sossamon pitch in the Final Four this year too. He's going to be good. Very smooth and great mechanics already.

Watch out for RHP Ethan Mather from Ozark, Mo in the 2009 class. I know the Bears want him but he's being courted by some SEC teams (Clemson specifically). He faced Melville's team in the state tournament this year and made Melville look silly at the plate. He's already better than Sossamon.
          Go Bears

Comment

• Originally posted by haysdb
            Most of our recruits sent the message that they would be tough signs because they were committed to going to college. This is going to be a great recruiting class, on par with three years ago when we got Damon Sublett, Josh Workman, Matt Brown, Tyler Hill, Travis Banwart, Rob Musgrave, Tyler Weber, etal.

We have a good chance for back-to-back good recruiting classes if we get some recruits as a result of our postseason success, as we did last year.

Maybe the best news of all is that Dusty will be returning for his Junior year.

David, is that a certainty in your mind? I guess it is but I was just looking for a little more breakdown on why you think that....

Also can anyone put together a list of all Shocker draftees and what they're likely to be offered and why they would or wouldn't sign....

I know I'm not asking for much....... ;-)

I am really confused on Josh.....can he return for one more season or is this it?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu
              Originally posted by haysdb
              Most of our recruits sent the message that they would be tough signs because they were committed to going to college. This is going to be a great recruiting class, on par with three years ago when we got Damon Sublett, Josh Workman, Matt Brown, Tyler Hill, Travis Banwart, Rob Musgrave, Tyler Weber, etal.

We have a good chance for back-to-back good recruiting classes if we get some recruits as a result of our postseason success, as we did last year.

David, is that a certainty in your mind? I guess it is but I was just looking for a little more breakdown on why you think that....

Also can anyone put together a list of all Shocker draftees and what they're likely to be offered and why they would or wouldn't sign....

I am really confused on Josh.....can he return for one more season or is this it?
              Josh can return as he is a redshirt junior this year. As for the incoming kids we need to continue to hold our breath. Just because they dropped in round doesn't mean to much. The teams that drafted them can still offer them a load of cash. Yes usually the higher your drafted the higher the cash but that doesn't mean they cant offer a 21st rounder 4th round cash for example. So keep those fingers crossed.

Comment

• Just watched replay of the game and FSU shortstop charged with an error and I don't think he even touched the ball?
                First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

• Originally posted by t7017s
                  Originally posted by WuDrWu
                  Originally posted by haysdb

Josh can return as he is a redshirt junior this year. As for the incoming kids we need to continue to hold our breath. Just because they dropped in round doesn't mean to much. The teams that drafted them can still offer them a load of cash. Yes usually the higher your drafted the higher the cash but that doesn't mean they cant offer a 21st rounder 4th round cash for example. So keep those fingers crossed.
                  It is really tough for Josh as he was drafted 10 rounds higher last year. He could come back for one more year, but I have been told by someone very close to him that he will not be returning. However, he did think he would go higher than the 38th round at that point. I give it 80% he goes and 20% comes back.

Comment

• WuDrWu, my point, rather than being a statement of personal knowledge of every situation, is that the draft is always a good-new-bad-news kind of thing, e.g. the good news is we signed a great baseball player, the bad news is he'll never reach campus. Or we're bummed that no one in our recruiting class was taken in the early rounds, thereby causing us to wonder how good this class might really be. The expectation was that many of our recruits - Watkins, Cooper, Flynn, et al, would go higher than they did. It's really only an assertion on my part that they fell to the later rounds because they were perceived as tough signs, not because they lack talent.

I have only anecdotal evidence of my assertion, based on comments I've read in Baseball America and a 5 minute conversation with Jim Thomas. I asked which players he feared we might lose, and he mentioned the Watkins kid from Goddard. He said Watkins had a specific number in mind, as Aaron Shafer did three years ago, and that if he didn't get it, and he (Watkins) really didn't expect that he would, he would not sign. He just hoped he would stick to that price as Aaron did and not accept half the number as the catcher from Goddard did last year. Reading between the lines, he told our staff one thing, and then accepted a lower number and left us short a catcher.

I believe it's Grimes from North HS who was determined to come to WSU because his dad signed out of high school and held that it was a mistake he didn't want his son to make.

Flynn, the 6-8 pitcher from Oklahoma, has tremendous upside, but is considered pretty raw and according to Baseball America would benefit from 3 years of seasoning under Brent Kemnitz.

Maybe it's nothing more than wishful thinking on my part that we will be able to keep this recruiting class together. It's always a balancing act to recruit the very best players you think you can actually GET. It's something our coaches have done very well, and a big reason why WSU has won 40 games every season Gene has been here, while other programs have been up and down.

Comment

• Originally posted by haysdb
                      WuDrWu, my point, rather than being a statement of personal knowledge of every situation, is that the draft is always a good-new-bad-news kind of thing, e.g. the good news is we signed a great baseball player, the bad news is he'll never reach campus. Or we're bummed that no one in our recruiting class was taken in the early rounds, thereby causing us to wonder how good this class might really be. The expectation was that many of our recruits - Watkins, Cooper, Flynn, et al, would go higher than they did. It's really only an assertion on my part that they fell to the later rounds because they were perceived as tough signs, not because they lack talent.

I have only anecdotal evidence of my assertion, based on comments I've read in Baseball America and a 5 minute conversation with Jim Thomas. I asked which players he feared we might lose, and he mentioned the Watkins kid from Goddard. He said Watkins had a specific number in mind, as Aaron Shafer did three years ago, and that if he didn't get it, and he (Watkins) really didn't expect that he would, he would not sign. He just hoped he would stick to that price as Aaron did and not accept half the number as the catcher from Goddard did last year. Reading between the lines, he told our staff one thing, and then accepted a lower number and left us short a catcher.

I believe it's Grimes from North HS who was determined to come to WSU because his dad signed out of high school and held that it was a mistake he didn't want his son to make.

Flynn, the 6-8 pitcher from Oklahoma, has tremendous upside, but is considered pretty raw and according to Baseball America would benefit from 3 years of seasoning under Brent Kemnitz.

Maybe it's nothing more than wishful thinking on my part that we will be able to keep this recruiting class together. It's always a balancing act to recruit the very best players you think you can actually GET. It's something our coaches have done very well, and a big reason why WSU has won 40 games every season Gene has been here, while other programs have been up and down.

And that, my friends, is what separates David from everyone else. Thanks David, I appreciate it. I hope everything is going well for you in MO, your presence and insight is missed back here in the ICT.

It is the GREAT, not average, but GREAT baseball fans like haysdb, Rosewood and others that I am rooting for today. They are as much a part of WSU baseball as anyone. They deserve to see their team reach the pinnacle once again.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

• I think we could use this kid-

low Class A Hagerstown (South Atlantic)
                        Why He's Here: .476/.542/.857 (10-for-21), 2 2B, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 3 BB, 3 SO
                        The Scoop: After ranking No. 4 in last year's prospect ranking of the New York-Penn League, Norris has continued unabated in his quest to make himself a household name. He's a patient hitter who, while striking out at a higher clip than last year, has also showing more of a power stroke. Now batting .300/.405/.580 with 18 walks and 30 strikeouts in 29 games, Norris is one of several Nationals prospects—shortstop Danny Espinosa, first baseman Chris Marrero and lefthander Ross Detwiler, among others—quietly putting together nice seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by lawmaker
                          I think we could use this kid-

low Class A Hagerstown (South Atlantic)
                          Why He's Here: .476/.542/.857 (10-for-21), 2 2B, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 3 BB, 3 SO
                          The Scoop: After ranking No. 4 in last year's prospect ranking of the New York-Penn League, Norris has continued unabated in his quest to make himself a household name. He's a patient hitter who, while striking out at a higher clip than last year, has also showing more of a power stroke. Now batting .300/.405/.580 with 18 walks and 30 strikeouts in 29 games, Norris is one of several Nationals prospects—shortstop Danny Espinosa, first baseman Chris Marrero and lefthander Ross Detwiler, among others—quietly putting together nice seasons.
                          "We" ???

Comment

Working...
                          X