Shox versus Frogs - Part 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shox versus Frogs - Part 4

This is going to he one humdinger of a game. Yes, we took all three games against them in mid March, but we all know how difficult it is to sweep a good team not to mention beat them 4 times in a row in the same season.

The TCU series in March was a low scoring one and look to see much of the same come Friday. I'm willing to bet we won't see Seth Garrison who was their Friday starter when we faced them, TCU will probably throw out Tyler Lockwood who came into relieve the game 2 starter on that Saturday. He proceeded to shut down the Shox by throwing 4.2 innings, giving up 2 hits, 1 walk and most importantly 0 runs.

For the year, Tyler is 7-1. His wins have come against UNLV 2x, New Mexico 2x, BYU, Air Force and Utah. His lone loss came against Tony Gywnn's San Diego State (RPI 100 team). However, Tyler pitched a complete game in the loss giving up 4 runs on 10 hits and striking out 7.

Here is the comparison of the two teams:

Team batting average: WSU .316 TCU .302 - edge Shox
    Team earned run avg: WSU 3.56 TCU 3.45 - edge TCU
    Team home runs: WSU 44 TCU 30 - edge Shox
    Team runs scored: WSU 479 TCU 392 - edge Shox
    Team stolen bases: WSU 102 TCU 59 - edge Shox
    Team fielding pct: WSU .966 TCU .975- edge TCU
    Total team K's (hiiters): WSU 382 TCU 295 -edge TCU

Finally, Relief Pitching. WSU has 8 pitchers with ERA's over 4. TCU has 5. WSU has 3 relief pitchers with ERA's of 3 and under. TCU has 6.

Based on the numbers above. It is clear TCU relies on pitching and defense to win games.

I'm hoping we can destroy TCU like we did when we scored 18 runs on them in the Norman Regional a couple of years back (although we did allow them to score 8 on us), but it's going to be grind and sure would like to get the win without having to go into extra innings.

Re: Shox versus Frogs - Part 4

Originally posted by KC Shox
    How often can another team claim this over us in the last 30 years?

Comment

Their team ERA might be better, but I like our Big 3 over anyone in our regional.

Comment

Let's say Big 2 1/2, Capra hasn't exactly set the world on fire in his past 5 starts. Although he won 2 of his last 5 starts, the other 3 were no decisions.

Last 5 games started:

25.2 innings pitched
        27 hits allowed
        17 walks allowed (WOW! 44 baserunners by hits & walks allowed in 25 inn)
        23 strikeouts
        17 runs (11 earned)

We really need him to be the Capra of old. Didn't Gene say something about him pressing to impress the scouts or somethin'?

Comment

Re: Shox versus Frogs - Part 4

Originally posted by vbird53
          How often can another team claim this over us in the last 30 years?
          If we can stay out of the bullpen, the ERA for our top 3 pitchers is 2.38. I don't know what TCU's top 3 pitcher's ERA is.

Comment

Plenty of tickets available for Shocker fans to buy up. Why wouldn't you want to make the easy drive down 135? Go Shocks!

Get tickets here!

The official athletics website for the Oklahoma State University Cowboys and Cowgirls

Comment

Let's say Big 2 1/2, Capra hasn't exactly set the world on fire in his past 5 starts. Although he won 2 of his last 5 starts, the other 3 were no decisions.

Last 5 games started:

25.2 innings pitched
              27 hits allowed
              17 walks allowed (WOW! 44 baserunners by hits & walks allowed in 25 inn)
              23 strikeouts
              17 runs (11 earned)

We really need him to be the Capra of old. Didn't Gene say something about him pressing to impress the scouts or somethin'?
              Gene has been accusing anybody that is a prospect for the draft, who is also performing at less than optimum levels, of this for 25 years. Draftitus may be a real condition with a few every year (I don't know) but if I was a player and falsely accused of it, I would be livid.
              THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Is there just a sliver of a chance that Gene might know a bit more about the situation and how the KIDS might react than Cappy, or even you?

I realize that may sound "out there" but try and think outside the box.

Comment

Draft

"Gene has been accusing anybody that is a prospect for the draft, who is also performing at less than optimum levels, of this for 25 years."

One of the larger exaggerations we've seen recently. The fact is that Capra is way, way off his game and has been for a while. Whether it's draft-related or not I don't know, but if there's nothing physically wrong with Capra it's certainly the most obvious explanation.

Baseball is a mental game, and relaxation is key. You can't make things happen by throwing or swinging harder, but plenty of guys have tried, ad Gene has a pretty good eye. If that's what he suspects, I'd be far more inclined to trust him than William, whose only apparent talent is carping.

Comment

Re: Draft

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                    "Gene has been accusing anybody that is a prospect for the draft, who is also performing at less than optimum levels, of this for 25 years."

One of the larger exaggerations we've seen recently. The fact is that Capra is way, way off his game and has been for a while. Whether it's draft-related or not I don't know, but if there's nothing physically wrong with Capra it's certainly the most obvious explanation.

Baseball is a mental game, and relaxation is key. You can't make things happen by throwing or swinging harder, but plenty of guys have tried, ad Gene has a pretty good eye. If that's what he suspects, I'd be far more inclined to trust him than William, whose only apparent talent is carping.
                    :clap: :clap:

Comment

Re: Draft

Originally posted by WSUwatcher

Do I carp at times? Yes. Did I exaggerate earlier? No. Gene has publicly made these statements for as long as I can remember. I dissagree with handling suspected draftitus publicly. The player should be confronted privately, that way if the suspicions are wrong the player doesn't feel betrayed by being made to look selfish.

You can call me Bill

Comment

William, you can't honestly believe that a potential first 5 round pick is not thinking about the draft this late in the season and the hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars at stake based on how well he is pitching right now.

The kid is what, 20, 21 years old? He's young and I have no doubt that his draft status is bouncing around inside of that dome of his. Keep it real hommie.

Comment

William, you can't honestly believe that a potential first 5 round pick is not thinking about the draft this late in the season and the hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars at stake based on how well he is pitching right now.

The kid is what, 20, 21 years old? He's young and I have no doubt that his draft status is bouncing around inside of that dome of his. Keep it real hommie.
                          I don't know if it is or isn't but if it were you would you rather have Gene sit you down privately and talk about it, or blast what a selfish, me me,a$$ you are all over the media? Don't get it twisted, I'm not saying it's not possible or even probable, I'm saying we shouldn't be privy to it for overall team chemistry and moral.

You can call me Bill

Comment

If I remember correctly, Gene eluded to Capra thinking about the draft as the reason for this dismal performances, but did not say that was definitely the reason. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to put two-and-two together with or without Gene's editorial.

We all know the guy is a legitimate high draft choice prospect, and we all know he is not going to stick around for his senior season. In addition, there are no reports of injury and we know the draft is right around the corner. C'mon man, he wasn't pitching like this his first two seasons or at the beginning or mid portion of the season.

He's looked mortal as the season is winding down and the draft is on the horizon. Gene doesn't have to clue us in on what's going on with the kid, heck, Shafer hasn't pitched as well as he did the last couple of years IMO, probably due to the same reason.

I'm not knocking on the guys, I know if I was that young and top prospect there would be no way I wouldn't be daydreaming. It's human nature, all I'm saying is that I hope these guys can clear their heads long enough to pitch well in the games they start, that's all.

Comment

Well, I'm off to play a round of golf. If I listen I will doom this team. I will see you guys in four hours so we can discuss what transpired. Hopefully I will have enough fortitude not to monitor Shockernet during the game as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X