No announcement yet.

Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a winning record vs the Big 12 so that should count for something. Only getting Neb and OSU on the road shouldn't hurt that bad. It's not like the shocks got blown out in either game. They just need to wake up some power in that lineup.

Comment

Don't forget the ASU game. That game is going to be HUGE for the shocks. IF they win, it will go a long way towards getting a regional if we go ahead and win the valley.

Comment

Almost every regional teams Friday starter is good.where we are different is our next 2 and even 3 including TK are VERY good.The problem that evens this all out is our bats or lack there of.That's a ton of pressure on a staff to throw up zeros.Now add in the the opposing crowd in a regional situation and it's groundhog day all over again.Let's just hope that when Workman returns to the lineup that the bats return to form and we can run off a streak that puts in contention for a host site.

Comment

Originally posted by ddog44
          Yes, we continually rely on the charity of others for the opportunity to host a Super Regional. We are simply incapable of taking care of that business ourselves
          I don't think you quite got my message, but let me spell it out for you, UNLESS WE GO ALMOST 50 WINS OR MORE - WE WILL NOT GET A NATIONAL SEED!! We are not in a bcs conference - and although we play a very good non con schedule, we are relying on midweek pitching (that has been very good by the way) and asking our offense to win 5 games a week, which even the coaching staff would take a 4-1 week. To have these visions of a super regional bid is somewhat ludicris without some help.

I will take our 3 weekend starters with Hoch, Fleming, Kelley, Nanney, and the rest anyday. Our offense WILL provide enough to get us to Omaha. Don't be such a pessimest!!
          I agree with you regarding the Super Regional outlook. However, I disagree with you regarding our offense. In those 5 losses against the Top 25, we averaged 2.6 runs per game and two of the games were against their mid-week starters.

Against the RPI Top 50, we are averaging 4.2 runs per game for 10 games(thanks to a 10 run explosion against ORU). Averaging the two together, is 3.4 runs per game. Assuming this offensive production will be status quo going into the Regionals, we are asking our pitching to hold the opposition to 2 runs or less in order for us to win. That is too much to ask.

Comment

We have the same probelm we ran into against Cal Irvine. Our pitching was wonderful, we just couldn't score. This year is even weaker without Brown and Sublett and Scherm.... hopefully we'll get hot soon.

Comment

Scoring

Winning while scoring 3-4 runs a game isn't easy against quality competition, but it certainly isn't unheard of, KC.

Speaking of Irvine, you'll recall that they won a super on the road last year while scoring a total of 4 runs in two games. And in their regional sweep at Austin, they gave up 0, 1, and (finally, with their #3 guy, who wasn't close to the 2008 version of Capra) 6.

WSU definitely needs to kick up its offense a notch, and maybe if they get Workman back and can settle back into a stronger lineup they can do so. But with Musgrave, Shafer, and Capra -- if those guys bring their A games, which is admittedly key and not necessarily guaranteed -- the Shocks are hardly doomed even if they do continue to struggle at the plate. And that's true at home or on the road.

Comment

congratualtions, you guys have come around, it's like I said.
                THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

How come we got so many regionals in the 1990's when the best 8 sites/teams were chosen? Our records were impressive, but by and large, will be about the same as what we'll finish this year. One could argue the Valley was a bit better back then. The main thing is though we won our 'big' games. We beat the Oklahoma's, and Oklahoma State's, and Arkansas's, etc.

That's the main difference.

That's why I think a national seed was somewhat attainable if we wouldn't have choked in the games against rank opponents.

Oh well. Non-issue now.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

was that the pre-rpi days?
                    THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by William
                      was that the pre-rpi days?
                      I'm sure. I don't even know when the whole RPI thing was introduced.

The RPI should be used as a general tool, not as the definitive selection process. Our RPI is around 20 now. I'd imagine with a few more Top 25 wins, it'd be around 10 or so.. worthy of national seed contention.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                        How come we got so many regionals in the 1990's when the best 8 sites/teams were chosen?
                        Here is my theory:

1. The RPI was not published like it is now. It seemed the committee used it more as a "tool" at that time is my gut feel. Since it's out there now and everybody knows it, they get beat over the head with it if they make judgements that go contrary to what it says.

2. With only 8 regionals, money and facilities were more important factor in regional host decisions. Going to 16, it doesn't need to be. They can have some weak regionals and not be hurt financially. Also facilities are getting better across the nation.

3. Regardless of what WSU RPI or conference affiliation was during this period, WSU proved on the field by being a frequent traveler to Omaha. That reputation helped them and still does today - but after 12 years of no trips to CWS it is quickly waning.

Comment

Working...
                        X