Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perspective

Just like most I’ve got some real concerns about this team – obviously the hitting. But everyone is honing in on the 0-5 vs. ranked teams…and yeah it looks horrible on paper and will undoubtedly sully our national rep when it comes to handing out regionals.

But let’s take a look at those 5 games. Correct me if I’m wrong but we’re talking about LBS (3), Neb and OSU. First, all 5 games were on the road and all were close games. Second, you can’t objectively place much weight on the team’s performance in February games vs. warm weather schools. Third, let’s see what happens with our starting rotation come regionals…even with our offensive struggles I still like our chances against anyone with our starters on the hill.

Good analysis - by my count, we are 8-2 in mid week games vs D1 teams.

Comment

Re: Perspective

Originally posted by BostonWu
      Just like most I’ve got some real concerns about this team – obviously the hitting. But everyone is honing in on the 0-5 vs. ranked teams…and yeah it looks horrible on paper and will undoubtedly sully our national rep when it comes to handing out regionals.

But let’s take a look at those 5 games. Correct me if I’m wrong but we’re talking about LBS (3), Neb and OSU. First, all 5 games were on the road and all were close games. Second, you can’t objectively place much weight on the team’s performance in February games vs. warm weather schools. Third, let’s see what happens with our starting rotation come regionals…even with our offensive struggles I still like our chances against anyone with our starters on the hill.
      Thank you for pointing all of this out.
      www.myspace.com/clarensau
      it's what i do

Comment

Just like most I’ve got some real concerns about this team – obviously the hitting.
        That a understatement. This team last night spent more time barking at the umpire and acting like spoiled kids instead of sucking it up and finding a way to overcome. While Gene looked like a whipped puppy standing down at 3rd base.

What was really interesting, was the O-State coach got into the face of Holmoka after the game. Alot of pointing fingers at each other.

Meanwhile Gene just walked around thanking the O-state team for the hospitality instead of maybe talking to the home ump a little.

Comment

wow, I never noticed the OSU coach getting into it with the umpires after the game. That's pretty bad when your team wins and you STILL have a beef with the umpiring

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas
            wow, I never noticed the OSU coach getting into it with the umpires after the game. That's pretty bad when your team wins and you STILL have a beef with the umpiring
            Yeah, and I don't even remember what in the game that might have caused the issue with Holmoka (unless it happened before I got back after the rain delay - unless it was from another game.

Comment

You can't get to the top if you can't climb the hills. These 5 games against ranked opponents just tell me we are a good team, but not real good.

Comment

Close doesn't count for a lot in any sport, especially baseball. The fact is we don't have a win against the Top 25. Plain and simple. That's what the committee's gonna look at. That's what the media continues to look at.

While we may have a decent shot to do something in regionals with our starting 3, it all again means poop when we can't hit the ball. We had enough pitching last night to win.

We just continually choke at the big games. I'm sick of it.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The committee will certainly factor in our record against the Top 25. It is the same for baseball as it is for basketball. We do not have many Top 25 teams on our schedule this year, so the Shox needed to take advantage of every opportunity to get a win.

We are not in a power conference that has multiple Top 25 teams. Our conference sucks so we most go outside of it to gain some credibility. It hasn't happened.

We will not host - the only way I see us advancing in the regionals is that our weekend pitchers must go undefeated. That is the only thing we got going for us and if we have to fight our way out of the losers bracket in the regional we don't have the offense or the pitching depth to win it.

Comment

I thought I heard Shane say last night that Wichita State and North Carolina are the only teams in the top 25 that don't have a win against a team ranked in the top 25 at the time they played. North Carolina has the benefit of playing in the ACC and has a few more chances to accomplish this and they are looked on as a top 5 National seed. We really missed an opportunity last night and last week in Nebraska.
                    THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                      Just like most I’ve got some real concerns about this team – obviously the hitting.
                      That a understatement. This team last night spent more time barking at the umpire and acting like spoiled kids instead of sucking it up and finding a way to overcome. While Gene looked like a whipped puppy standing down at 3rd base.

What was really interesting, was the O-State coach got into the face of Holmoka after the game. Alot of pointing fingers at each other.

Meanwhile Gene just walked around thanking the O-state team for the hospitality instead of maybe talking to the home ump a little.
                      There isn't much overcoming that awful strike zone of Winters'

Comment

Close doesn't count for a lot in any sport, especially baseball. The fact is we don't have a win against the Top 25. Plain and simple. That's what the committee's gonna look at. That's what the media continues to look at
                        Yes and No. While I think the committee will certainly look at the top 25 success, they will look more at how we finish, say the final 15-20 games including postseason tournaments. That in itself will go a long ways in the opportunity to host a regional.

I don't think we were ever in a position to be a national host unless we absolutely killed the schedule, like a 48 - 50 win season because of the bias out there, so to think we realistically had a shot at a Super was really just wishful thinking. The only way that happens is if what happened last year happens again and that is a national seed or two fails to get through their regional. That is of course assuming we get through our regional.

Lastly, put the batting order back where we were scoring 8.3 runs per game and see how things happen. We made the change to protect Conor, and since them he has went from .410 to .383, Williams from .379 tp .342, Jones from .368 to .340. Doesn't seem to be protecting anyone to me, but maybe I am making something out of nothing. Dusty and/or Weber are the real legit 4 hole hitters on our club, and I believe they will figure it out. Let's get back to the normal order and start scoring runs like we were. Caster has shown some ability, I say get back to those days until we get everyone healthy.

Comment

Yes, we continually rely on the charity of others for the opportunity to host a Super Regional. We are simply incapable of taking care of that business ourselves.

Comment

Yes, we continually rely on the charity of others for the opportunity to host a Super Regional. We are simply incapable of taking care of that business ourselves
                            I don't think you quite got my message, but let me spell it out for you, UNLESS WE GO ALMOST 50 WINS OR MORE - WE WILL NOT GET A NATIONAL SEED!! We are not in a bcs conference - and although we play a very good non con schedule, we are relying on midweek pitching (that has been very good by the way) and asking our offense to win 5 games a week, which even the coaching staff would take a 4-1 week. To have these visions of a super regional bid is somewhat ludicris without some help.

I will take our 3 weekend starters with Hoch, Fleming, Kelley, Nanney, and the rest anyday. Our offense WILL provide enough to get us to Omaha. Don't be such a pessimest!!

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                              That a understatement. This team last night spent more time barking at the umpire and acting like spoiled kids instead of sucking it up and finding a way to overcome.
                              I agree SB… we did more bitching than adjusting to the 4’ wide strike zone.

Also, maybe it’s just me, but I thought Dirk’s and the team celebrated a little too much after the homers… we acted like we hadn’t hit a dinger all year. Oops, 11 games probably felt like a year to the Shockers. Regardless, I felt there was too much showmanship after both homers and it looked like the Okey State players took notice. I don’t have a problem with the team meeting Dirks at the plate with a few high fives, but the post-celebration appeared excessive to me both times. What do I know? My wife says that I’m just a grumpy old man. :(
                              SFL is back!

Comment

Working...
                              X