• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very pleased. Next....

Comment

Hect - 94 mph stuff....,.thanks ISUR

Comment

Season ERA stands at 1.83 following the win.

Comment

Never in a million years would have expected this start. Normally in years past I'd already be making plans for the Shockers to be hosting a regional. But even with this 6-0 (should be 7-0 after Omaha on Wednesday) start, I'm still not totally confident. I'm hoping we can keep up this kind of play next weekend, but I have my doubts. Either way, if the Shox can continue to put solid pitching together and get just enough offense to win, I like our chances to at least make it back to the NCAA Tournament this season. Probably getting ahead of myself, but what the hey

Comment

If this thing is for real... and dare I say baseball is back at the same time that basketball is hanging where it is, it's gonna be a fun time

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              If this thing is for real... and dare I say baseball is back at the same time that basketball is hanging where it is, it's gonna be a fun time
              Fun time indeed.I have to say I'm a believer at this point.Minimal errors solid pitching and I think the hitting will only improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                Season ERA stands at 1.83 following the win.
                I guess it is a good thing when you only allow 2 earned runs and it pushes your ERA higher.

Comment

A few hiccups from a few pitchers this weekend, but fortunately nothing that we weren't able to overcome. Landon Holifield, Ben Hecht and Reagan Biechler have been rock solid (like granite solid) so far this year. Simply outstanding. I have previously said that I really what I am hearing and reading about Coach Steele . Now I can up that to I really like what I am seeing from Coach Steele's bevy of pitchers. Big test coming up the nest two weekends. Looking forward to seeing how the staff holds up.

Hopefully, today with get big Alec booming them on a regular basis. He can hit a baseball a long way when he gets everything synced up.

Personally, I would like to see RFr catcher Noah Croft get an occasional start behind the plate. At least one a week. Especially, if Gunner Troutwine continues to hover around the Mendoza line with his batting average. Personally, I think this would be beneficial to both Gunner and Noah and for the team as well. It should be especially beneficial to Gunner later in the season if HCTB is willing to reduce the wear and tear on his body from catching everyday.

We will have to see how the value of these first 6 wins holds up but the wins feel good and they team has looked pretty good overall. GCU should win a ton of games in their conference. Utah Valley dropped 2 out of 3 to UC Davis this weekend. Today they had a 6-3 lead heading into the bottom of the 8th and gave of 3 in the 8th and 1 in the 9th to lose.

Omaha is 1-7 against a good schedule. They have given up a lot of runs and have a team ERA of 8.45. Shocks need to make sure they stumble against this team on Wednesday.

Comment

6-0. This team is 1 win away from winning 1/3 of the games they won last year.... Let that sink in. Pretty good start

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerVille View Post
                      6-0. This team is 1 win away from winning 1/3 of the games they won last year.... Let that sink in. Pretty good start
                      Best start since 2011 (7-0).

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                        I'd say that's correct most of the time, but our upperclassmen have struggled with that concept in recent years. I'd say it's a change in personnel and philosophy.
                        Let's hope so. Middle relief gave up some baserunners because of refusal to challenge hitters and trying to nibble.

We will see about philosophy change.
                        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

This weekend was a huge step forward to me. Who would have ever thought we would be 6-0 with 2 shutouts and scoring a total of 20 runs in 5 of those 6 games (I think most would have predicted a victory when scoring 16 runs).

I will give props to onegreatracer but it is just amazing that we have won these games mainly with pitching. Not walking so many makes a huge difference!!!

With that said, we have 3, one-run victories and 1, two-run victories. A win is a win, and these are games we would likely have lost last year, there is just not much room for error and it will be interesting to see how the pitching staff holds up when we start playing 4 or 5 games per week.

Great weekend!!!

Comment

Replayed Sunday's 5-3 win in order to look at Alec Bohm's 2 bombs. A couple of pretty impressive swings.

Also impressive as color analyst along with Shane calling the PBP was former Shocker Nate Robertson. I don't know if he has ever done that before. If not he is a natural. I thought he was outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Replayed Sunday's 5-3 win in order to look at Alec Bohm's 2 bombs. A couple of pretty impressive swings.

Also impressive as color analyst along with Shane calling the PBP was former Shocker Nate Robertson. I don't know if he has ever done that before. If not he is a natural. I thought he was outstanding.
                              I agree completely about Nate. He was great. There were a few instances where he an Shane both seemed a little befuddled by pitch selection/location and it seemed like he would lay it out there and then bite his tongue. Those guys were both pretty salty on the bump,especially Nate once he turned pro. He had so many injury problems while at WSU we didn't get to enjoy his full potential.

I hope we hear more of him. A lot more.
                              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Working...
                              X