The declining fan experience at Eck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The declining fan experience at Eck

Somebody has consistently chipped away at fan experience by creating new and useless rules for fans.

First, you couldn't have fun with visiting center fielders.

Then your kids had to be as active as your average AARP member if they don't want to get scolded.

Next, despite the fact great baseball teams didn't have a batter's eye the game has to stop if someone is standing in front of the current one.

Finally, if you choose to spend money at the game to buy an overpriced adult beverage don't think about walking out to your seats in the outfield.

There is more.... but you get the point.

Stop ruining what made this the place to be if you want crowds to return.

There were four first timers here that now have a negative experience because they dealt with the same stupidity (by the way the usher couldn't have been more professional and curtious). The four spent money for outfield seats, but the mistake of buying four hotdogs and beers.... silly

Comment

We need to fire emails to Boatright and be relentless in doing so. The metal bleachers and hill should all be one GA price, and more like $5. Lower concession prices will generate better sales also.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        We need to fire emails to Boatright and be relentless in doing so. The metal bleachers and hill should all be one GA price, and more like $5. Lower concession prices will generate better sales also.
        Agreed, but we don't have the sharpest knives working the drawers. And do you really think this athletic department is gonna slash prices in anything? They are a gouging machine.

I haven't purchased anything at a WSU concession stand (baseball and basketball) in 3 years. And that'll stay that way.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
          There were four first timers here that now have a negative experience because they dealt with the same stupidity (by the way the usher couldn't have been more professional and curtious). The four spent money for outfield seats, but the mistake of buying four hotdogs and beers.... silly
          Has anyone ever gotten an explanation as to why stadium beer can't go to the outfield? Is there beer for sale in the outfield that can be consumed there? I'm a grandstand slob and never go to the hill. Don't buy expensive beer at the stadium concessions either.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Agreed, but we don't have the sharpest knives working the drawers. And do you really think this athletic department is gonna slash prices in anything? They are a gouging machine.

I haven't purchased anything at a WSU concession stand (baseball and basketball) in 3 years. And that'll stay that way.
            Oh, I know. Sensible seems to elude them on such things.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Most likely deals with where the alcohol license is designated. Think of a beer garden, you have to stay inside of the fences. My guess is they only did the stadium area not including the outfield. which probably allows for the bringing in of the coolers and why all beer must be 3.2 by weight.

Comment

Alcohol laws in Kansas as so ridiculous and asinine, and I say that as someone who barely drinks.

Comment

As I understand it all of the concession services are bid out and they set pricing. I have never figured out why the food is SOOOO expensive. One would think if you made a little money on alot of sales it would be better for the fan than to try and make a killing an fewer sales. I have not eaten anything at CKA or Eck stadium in the last 10 years. I can't imagine taking a bunch of kids and feeding them.

Comment

The concessions at Eck Stadium and Koch Arena are expensive and overpriced. However, it is not like they are some kind of an outlier when it comes to stadium concessions.

The best concession deals at Eck Stadium was during the Shocker Fall World Series when Shelley Wombacher and her husband set up a grill and sold burgers and dogs for $1.00 each and I think they sold 12 oz cans of pop for $0.50 are something like that. And those burger and dogs were better then the usual Eck stadium concession fare.

Comment

I skipped out of Baseball last year. Kids were sick for the opening series and by the time they got back I could see how bad the year was going to be and I didn't want to support them.

We were at opening day this year. I paid $3 for tickets and then went and sat in my old seats. Pro tip - you can basically sit in the grandstands and no one will bother you if you are nice and move if you do happen to lose the lottery and sit in someone else's seat.

Anyway, something my kids have always done is go walk the outfield. They go walk to the left field bleachers, sit there for half an inning and then walk back. My kids really are well behaved and they enjoy baseball games but I can't blame kids for wanting to get out and stretch their legs. Plus I figured it is a good idea to get to see the stadium from all angles. Except now they didn't let the kids go out there. You have to have outfield tickets to go into the outfield. What the hell is that about? If I had friends at the game in the outfield I'd go talk to them, have a beer, whatever. I can maybe understand due to weird ass KS blue laws that they can't bring their beer in the stadium and we can't bring our beer out to them. But good god how monumentally stupid do you have to be to restrict people from going out and sitting in the left field bleachers that never get used anymore because no one comes to the ****ing games because the team is *** **** ****ing awful?

But yeah, the fan experience is declining. I didn't realize you couldn't heckle from the outfield. I figure the standing in front of the stupid batter's eye is more of a liability of kids falling of rocks but I think our batting average has been on a decline since that damn thing was installed. I'm just sad that so many of the old timers that I used to sit with game in and game out are gone. No more Ks in the railings. No more candy thrown to players. I look around and I miss so many faces.

Also maybe unlock the bathrooms before the game starts. Also also, maybe replace the tarp on the concession stand that never gets used. That tattered thing is a ****ing disgrace. Oh yeah, it has been 5 years. FIX THE ****ING WIFI ALREADY.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                        I skipped out of Baseball last year. Kids were sick for the opening series and by the time they got back I could see how bad the year was going to be and I didn't want to support them.

We were at opening day this year. I paid $3 for tickets and then went and sat in my old seats. Pro tip - you can basically sit in the grandstands and no one will bother you if you are nice and move if you do happen to lose the lottery and sit in someone else's seat.

Anyway, something my kids have always done is go walk the outfield. They go walk to the left field bleachers, sit there for half an inning and then walk back. My kids really are well behaved and they enjoy baseball games but I can't blame kids for wanting to get out and stretch their legs. Plus I figured it is a good idea to get to see the stadium from all angles. Except now they didn't let the kids go out there. You have to have outfield tickets to go into the outfield. What the hell is that about? If I had friends at the game in the outfield I'd go talk to them, have a beer, whatever. I can maybe understand due to weird ass KS blue laws that they can't bring their beer in the stadium and we can't bring our beer out to them. But good god how monumentally stupid do you have to be to restrict people from going out and sitting in the left field bleachers that never get used anymore because no one comes to the ****ing games because the team is *** **** ****ing awful?

But yeah, the fan experience is declining. I didn't realize you couldn't heckle from the outfield. I figure the standing in front of the stupid batter's eye is more of a liability of kids falling of rocks but I think our batting average has been on a decline since that damn thing was installed. I'm just sad that so many of the old timers that I used to sit with game in and game out are gone. No more Ks in the railings. No more candy thrown to players. I look around and I miss so many faces.

Also maybe unlock the bathrooms before the game starts. Also also, maybe replace the tarp on the concession stand that never gets used. That tattered thing is a ****ing disgrace. Oh yeah, it has been 5 years. FIX THE ****ING WIFI ALREADY.
                        This should be sent verbatim to AD Darron Boatright and anyone identifiable as stadium operations. Your thoughts are well stated and sincere.

I don't think athletics people at WSU understand that baseball is different from every other sport from a spectators'/fans' viewpoint. We sit around at games and catch up on how each other's family is doing, reminisce about the old days, talk about our favorite beers our restaurants and almost every other topic imaginable. Baseball is a leisurely sport when fan camaraderie is quite unique from other sports. Having all these crazy rules for who can be where and why spoil that. Quit it!
                        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

i was extremely disappointed with something on Saturday. The bathrooms connected to the unopened concession stand right behind our dugout was playing music. Within the 30-45 seconds I was in there, there were about 4-5 F bombs and other profanities in the song. How do you have that type of music playing in a family environment. My 4 year old daughter was in the women's bathroom and is obviously very impressionable with words.

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7 View Post
                            i was extremely disappointed with something on Saturday. The bathrooms connected to the unopened concession stand right behind our dugout was playing music. Within the 30-45 seconds I was in there, there were about 4-5 F bombs and other profanities in the song. How do you have that type of music playing in a family environment. My 4 year old daughter was in the women's bathroom and is obviously very impressionable with words.
                            You definitely need to report that. Everyone who has a complaint or suggestion needs to report those. It may not make a diference but saying nothing and just unloading on ShockerNet probably won't. doe much either.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                              This should be sent verbatim to AD Darron Boatright and anyone identifiable as stadium operations. Your thoughts are well stated and sincere.

I don't think athletics people at WSU understand that baseball is different from every other sport from a spectators'/fans' viewpoint. We sit around at games and catch up on how each other's family is doing, reminisce about the old days, talk about our favorite beers our restaurants and almost every other topic imaginable. Baseball is a leisurely sport when fan camaraderie is quite unique from other sports. Having all these crazy rules for who can be where and why spoil that. Quit it!
                              Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              You definitely need to report that. Everyone who has a complaint or suggestion needs to report those. It may not make a diference but saying nothing and just unloading on ShockerNet probably won't. doe much either.
                              This is where newspaper and TV should be helpful, particularly if the school ignores the complaints and suggestions. Question is, do they have the nads to do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X