Utah Valley @ WSU (Season Opener)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Valley @ WSU (Season Opener)

Utah Valley is picked to finish 5th in the WAC after a 3rd place finish in 2016. The WAC has no teams ranked in pre-season polls but Seattle U., NM State, and Grand Canyon all received votes in the Collegiate Baseball poll which ranks about one-third of all D1 baseball schools. Utah Valley also has nobody on the pre-season WAC 1st team in 2017.

Last year Utah Valley finished 37-23 overall and 18-9 in conference play. They were 15-10 at home, 15-8 on the road, and 7-5 at neutral sites. They hit .284 as a team with 40 hr, 23 3b, 100 2b, and SO 441 times and had 227 walks in 2149 at bats.

Utah Valley had a 4.82 ERA in 545.2 innings giving up 587 hits, 339 runs and 292 er while SO 413 and walking 253 for an opponent batting average of .280. They also fielded .971 in 2016.

The 2017 roster includes 34 players (7 Sr, 12 Jr, 3 So, 1 R-So, 10 Fr, and 1 R-Fr). Key returning players are
    Code:
                            avg HR RBI SO BB HBP
    Jr INF Stone Ramsey    .324 0  17  17 9  2 
    Sr OF Justin Erlandson .302 2  23  39 22 5 
    So INF Trevor Howell   .297 1  28  25 23 0 
    Sr C Zac Willis        .288 6  36  36 19 6
    On the bump they return 4 of their 5 top starters from last season as well as one of their top relievers. Last year’s ace, Danny Beddes, was drafted by Pittsburgh in the 15th round of the 2016 draft. The returning pitchers started 37 games last year.
    Code:
                          W-L   ERA  IP   H  R ER SO BB
    Sr RHP Logan Hold    (2-0) 1.83 34.1 34 11 7  23 7
    Jr LHP Jackson Cofer (6-5) 3.79 76.0 86 41 32 53 28
    Jr RHP Jake Mayer    (8-2) 4.27 78.0 72 40 37 51 25
    Jr RHP Kaden Schmitt (1-2) 5.06 32.0 42 24 18 21 18
    Sr LHP Patrick Wolfe (2-3) 5.57 72.2 74 48 45 60 36
    The Shockers are picked to finish tied for 4th in the MVC. The 2017 roster includes 38 players for now (2 Sr, 2 R-Sr, 8 Jr, 2 R-Jr, 8 So, 4 R-So, 10 Fr, and 2 R-Fr). They return 6 of their top 10 hitters from a year ago in Jenista, Vickers, Dugas, Bohm, Troutwine, and Ritter but those 6 hitters struck out a total of 216 times! They also return several guys that started many games in Boyer, Young, and DeBacker.

The shockers return a ton of arms from last year including the entire starting rotation which accounted for 46 of the 58 starts. The problem is we only return 2 guys with ERAs under 4!!! Willie Schwanke 3.40 era in 53.0 innings and Reagan Biechler 3.97 era in 22.2 innings. Everyone else combined for 328.2 innings with ERAs ranging from 4.46 to 9.12. We return a total of 83.6% of IP from 2016. There is no doubt we have an experienced staff; the only problem is that it is mediocre to poor performance. This year’s success depends largely on the improvement of the pitching staff.

I think everyone expects 3 wins this weekend but at the very least we need a series win to kick off the home schedule.

We posted at the exact same time! I'll delete mine.

Starting rotation:

Comment

I always love this part of the year when baseball and basketball overlap. Even better when it happens for 5-6 weeks. I very much enjoy the 3pm weekday games, fun to listen to at work.

Hopefully we get off to a good start.

Comment

It normally is a fun time of year but I'm not holding my breath for anything to do with this program at this time.

Just please don't be surprised.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think you know where I stand on the matter. Still, I'm a hopeless fan. Not much to do but buckle in and be excited until the excitement wears off.

Comment

Utah Valley was decent last year. They made it to an NCAA Regional by sweeping 4 games in the WAC Touranment where the lost 7-1 to LSU and 3-2 to Southeastern Lousiana in Baton Rouge.

As @shockfan89 pointed out they graduate Danny Beddes who was 9-14 in 17 starts but with a pretty pedestrian ERA at 4.56. The also graduated Kyle Valgardson who led the team in appearances (25) and saves (9). He was 3-1 with an ERA of 1.59. The remainder of the staff had a 5.20 ERA.

They did lose 5 position players including their top 2 hitters for average and power. 4 of those 5 players combined for 29 of UVU's 40 home runs and included 4 of their top 5 RBI guys.

Really not sure what to expect from this Shocker team but I will be a bit disappointed if the Shocks don't walk away with a sweep.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Shox should win this one by 7-10, hopefully more. Our pitching staff should be excellent tomorrow, once again expecting less than 2 runs but hoping for a shutout.

Bold prediction - we strike out less than 3 times tomorrow.
              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                It normally is a fun time of year but I'm not holding my breath for anything to do with this program at this time.

Just please don't be surprised.
                I think the proper statement for you would be, "please be surprised."

Go Shocks!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Friday...68 and sunny...Good enough reason for me not to go to work.

Comment

I believe this will be a very good baseball team. Looking for Alex Jackson to get into the mix sometime very soon and never give up his spot once he does. Little surprised Alex Segal isn't getting a start this weekend but maybe they're looking for a little better spot to unleash the frosh.

I'm excited for WSU baseball for the 1st time in a long time. Can't wait to see what kind of fire PCMS brings to the game. I hope they get off on the right foot tomorrow. It looks like it's going to be a perfect weekend to spend the afternoon at the yard. Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      I think you know where I stand on the matter. Still, I'm a hopeless fan. Not much to do but buckle in and be excited until the excitement wears off.
                      You got me. I too will be listening at 3:00 because I'm also a fan. But my expectations are fairly low. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                        Bold prediction - we strike out less than 3 times tomorrow.
                        That might be a bit optimistic, especially against an opponents No. 1 starter. I would be happy if they keep their strikeouts at double that.

Comment

After sitting out last year in protest of really bad baseball my kids hounded me all off season long about not going to a shocker baseball game. So we are on for opening day tomorrow. I'm excited to be out with the tens of fans again.

God I miss the old days.

I know NOTHING about the guys playing. So just tell me this -- can I expect to at least see error free baseball tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                            After sitting out last year in protest of really bad baseball my kids hounded me all off season long about not going to a shocker baseball game. So we are on for opening day tomorrow. I'm excited to be out with the tens of fans again.

God I miss the old days.

I know NOTHING about the guys playing. So just tell me this -- can I expect to at least see error free baseball tomorrow?
                            You might be asking quite a bit there. I seem to remember that in the last decade, WSU had their best fielding percentage year. That same year, they finished 4th in fielding in the Valley.

Nevertheless, I'm with you about missing the old days. Go Shocks!

Comment

I care way less about error-less ball, and way more about someone that can make an occasional play and knows what a cutoff is.

Comment

Working...
                              X