No announcement yet.

Wsu vs binghamton game 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 9th inning was somewhat disappointing. I know Gene's just getting some guys in there, but damn.. just looks bad on paper.

Oh well. We got the job done. Now it's time for a 4-game sweep of the Bison.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
      Nice night at the Eck? I'm up in KC right now where it is windy, cloudy and less than 45 degrees.
      It started off nice, but then it got windy and humid/sticky. By the time the game finished it was rather cold due to the wind.
      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

I don't ever cheer for the opposing teams. However, it was hard to not feel some kind of sympathy for Binghamton. Mostly it was because the opposing fan crew invaded my section and sat next to me the two games. We chatted and they all agreed they wanted to see us in Omaha and were very impressed by how good we are.

Anyways, the guy who hit the HR for Binghamton (as noted by MK) had a great swing and was robbed all series long. The baseball karma gods paid him back by giving him something to be proud of. I didn't mind it about as much as I couldn't mind a HR being hit off a potential closer even when it REALLY meant absolutely nothing.

Now that I think about it, other than the stats hit, that HR may have been a very good thing. Right at the end of the game means it should be the last thing they remember from this series. These guys are very good this year but every team we play could show up at any movement. This HR should remind them of that and help Gene fodder the idea that every at bat is important because any run that scores is a good run for us.

I could see a big difference in the hitters between yesterday and today. Yesterday I saw something I've seen many times when baseball teams get huge leads. When a batter is up to the plate and he feels his AB is basically worthless (when he is up or down) he will often only take big hacks at the ball. He won't do things like choke up on the bat, stay back on a change up, etc. Basically batters tend to just go through the motion. After scoring 5 and then 4, I could see the shox stopped giving 100% at the plate because if they had, they could easily have put up 15 yesterday, if not more.

Gene got the message across that no matter what the score or inning or team, swing like it is the first or the 9th. Run the bases like the game is on the line.

One thing of note: Our Defense is great. Terry and Mike keep going on and on about our defense for good reason. However, they are still college guys and still have work todo. Coleman threw a ball into the dugout tonight for absolutely no reason. There is a different between giving the extra effort and giving the extra effort when it puts you at a high risk for a mistake. Such a balancing act that these guys walk 98% of the time. I just want to see that number go up to 100% of the time. Coleman has the raw talent to never blow that throw.

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
          Originally posted by KC Shox
          Nice night at the Eck? I'm up in KC right now where it is windy, cloudy and less than 45 degrees.
          It started off nice, but then it got windy and humid/sticky. By the time the game finished it was rather cold due to the wind.
          haha yea.
          i remember the inning started ok, and then that wind started whipping and the fog dropped in and it was dang cold all the sudden. crazy how that works.
          "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
          CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

I was up in the yellow seats and it was pretty much cold all night. Just some little observations I got from seeing the Shox live for only the second time this season: Maune has good stuff, he can really run his fastball up there and has a nice changeup; McKeever runs really well for as big as he is; Conor is just a freaking stud, he just kills the ball; Mitch Caster has a rocket for an arm, noticed it during warm ups, reminds me of Carl Hall; Matt Smith and his new arm angle was pretty impressive, reached the low 90's most of the inning. From listening to all the games on the radio I already new this, but seeing it in person really brings it home = Our outfield is freaking awesome, they are so fast get to so many balls and make most of it look so easy, their routes are usually perfect and they always seem to be in perfect throwing position. Won't make it up this weekend, but will be glued to the radio/internet and will be in Lawerence on Tuesday.

:goshocks: :goshocks:
            THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

Working...
            X